purge performance???

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

purge performance???

pbCode
Hi,
  I have a lot of messages in some DLQs.  These are in the order of 10 thousand / DLQ!  Before I go and delete these from my production environment I wanted to know if theres anything I need to consider before I do it???  ie performance.  As you can imagine I dont want to hit the purge button and then the CPU rocket through the roof!  I have tested it in my development environment by using the active mq web console to create 10 thousand messages and then purge them.  It was so quick it was unbelievable!  I was wondering why it was so quick, that maybe the 10 thousand messages that I created through the console  were deleted so quickly because the messages are effectively the same???  Any help will be appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: purge performance???

christopher.l.shannon
How fast the messages get purged depend on many things such as how large
the messages are, if they are non-persistent, and if there is contention on
the Queue, and of course how fast your hardware is. The purge operation
works by paging in batches of messages at a time so if it has to go to disk
versus just in memory then it will take a little bit longer depending on
your disk performance.  Also if there are a lot of producers/consumers to a
Queue it will interfere with the purge as well as locks have to be obtained.

That being said, 10 thousand messages is not that many messages if they are
relatively small (no more than a couple KB) and in most situations I would
expect it to only take a few seconds, especially if they are in memory.  If
you have large messages (megabytes) then it will of course take a lot
longer.


On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 10:26 AM, pbCode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have a lot of messages in some DLQs.  These are in the order of 10
> thousand / DLQ!  Before I go and delete these from my production
> environment
> I wanted to know if theres anything I need to consider before I do it???
> ie
> performance.  As you can imagine I dont want to hit the purge button and
> then the CPU rocket through the roof!  I have tested it in my development
> environment by using the active mq web console to create 10 thousand
> messages and then purge them.  It was so quick it was unbelievable!  I was
> wondering why it was so quick, that maybe the 10 thousand messages that I
> created through the console  were deleted so quickly because the messages
> are effectively the same???  Any help will be appreciated.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://activemq.2283324.n4.nab
> ble.com/purge-performance-tp4725337.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: purge performance???

pbCode
Thanks Christopher for your reply. That really helps.  To ensure the CPU stays at a controllable way can I throttle the CPU to say 50% to ensure everything just ticks over whilst the operation completes?

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: purge performance???

Tim Bain
ActiveMQ shouldn't mind, if your OS allows that.

Tim

On May 2, 2017 1:27 AM, "pbCode" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Christopher for your reply. That really helps.  To ensure the CPU
> stays at a controllable way can I throttle the CPU to say 50% to ensure
> everything just ticks over whilst the operation completes?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://activemq.2283324.n4.
> nabble.com/purge-performance-tp4725337p4725414.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>