paging directory not accessible to cluster member

paging directory not accessible to cluster member

wwang2016
This post was updated on .
Hi,

I set up two wildfly instances (activemq is embeded) in a cluster using shared-store approach. I was testing the messaging high availability by allow one wildfly instance (#1) to create all messages, and both instances were able to process the messages. In the middle, I shut down instance #1, and check if all messages can be processed by the remaining live wildfly instances.

When I let the application to create 3000 to 5000 messages in one shot in instance #1, and allow both instances to process messages (save into database), then shut down instance #1, I can see all messages were eventually processed by instance #2, indicating the cluster queue was configured properly. In addition, no paging directory was created

When I let the application to create 10000 messages in one shot in instance #1, and allow both instances to process messages. I saw a paging directory was created. I then shut down instance #1, and let instance #2 to continue to process the remaining messages. However, not all messages were processed. I had to restart instance #1 to consume all remaining messages in the paging directory. It looks like the paging directory was not accessible to cluster members

Is there any additional configuration that is required to allow cluster member to access paging directory?

Thanks

Re: paging directory not accessible to cluster member

Justin Bertram
To my knowledge, the only thing that needs to be configured is normal
directory read/write permissions.

Justin

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 8:43 AM, wwang2016 <[hidden email]>

> I set up two wildfly instances (activemq is imbeded) in a cluster using
> shared-store approach. I was testing the messaging high availability by
> allow one wildfly instance (#1) to create all messages, and both instances
> were able to process the messages. In the middle, I shut down instance #1,
> and check if all messages can be processed by the remaining live wildfly
> instances.
>
> When I let the application to create 3000 to 5000 messages in one shot in
> instance #1, and allow both instances to process messages (save into
> database), then shut down instance #1, I can see all messages were
> eventually processed by instance #2, indicating the cluster queue was
> configured properly. In addition, no paging directory was created
>
> When I let the application to create 10000 messages in one shot in instance
> #1, and allow both instances to process messages. I saw a paging directory
> was created. I then shut down instance #1, and let instance #2 to continue
> to process the remaining messages. However, not all messages were
> processed.
> I had to restart instance #1 to consume all remaining messages in the
> paging
> directory. It looks like the paging directory was not accessible to cluster
> members
>
> Is there any additional configuration that is required to allow cluster
> member to access paging directory?
>
> Thanks

Re: paging directory not accessible to cluster member

wwang2016
I tried to set the permission of the folder so that the user who started the application has full control, and the issue persisted.

One more observation:
(1) let instance #1 create all 10000 messages, the paging folder was created with a paging file
(2) both instance #1 and instance#2 were processing the messages, and shut down instance #1 in the middle
(3) instance #2 continued to process the messages until no more messages were available to instance #2.
(4) restart instance #1 to process all messages in paging file. Instance #1 was not able to delete the paging file

If I shut down instance #2 before restarting instance #1, the paging file will be accessed by instance #1 and it will be deleted after message processing was completed. So it looks like instance #2 was accessing the paging file, but just did not process the message.

Re: paging directory not accessible to cluster member

Justin Bertram
> (2) both instance #1 and instance#2 were processing the messages, and
shut down instance #1 in the middle

Are you saying that the live and backup brokers were both active at the
same time?

Do you have a reproducible test-case I could use to observe exactly the
behavior you're describing?  If not, could you create one?

Justin