monitoring a 'blocked queue'

erik
We have a server application using active mq 5.9.0. When load testing that application sometimes the client doesn't get a response from the server any more, while the server claims it has put a response message on that queue. I installed a jolokia web agent, so I can monitor our embedded mq broker from hawtio. My question: where should i look in the hawtio interface to find out what goes wrong with my queue?

Re: monitoring a 'blocked queue'

ceposta
You should check the queue that contains the response (or supposed
response) to see if it has the response. You can "browse" the queue.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:26 AM, erik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a server application using active mq 5.9.0. When load testing that
> application sometimes the client doesn't get a response from the server any
> more, while the server claims it has put a response message on that queue.
> installed a jolokia web agent, so I can monitor our embedded mq broker from
> hawtio. My question: where should i look in the hawtio interface to find
> out
> what goes wrong with my queue?

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: monitoring a 'blocked queue'

erik
I suppose you can normally browse the messages that have not been 'consumed' by a client yet. Is it also possible, in jconsole or hawtio, to retrieve the correlation id/content of the messages that are already consumed by the client?

Re: monitoring a 'blocked queue'

ceposta
If the consumer has already ack'd the message, then no, it's not available
anymore.

twitter: @christianposta

It's getting a bit more complicated then I thought because we are in reality using temporary queues, as described in http://www.onjava.com/2007/04/10/designing-messaging-applications-with-temporary-queues.html. The first 84 response messages for the load tester come in OK, but the next one is put on the temporary queue by the server, without hitting the onMessage of the client (= loadtester task). The monitor shows 86 enqueued/86 dequeued around the time when the client is patiently waiting for its response to request 84. I guess it's impossible to monitor such temporary queues with JMX? tomorrow i will try to just use the 'statically defined queues', and see if I can handle 100 messages in a row that way ...