evaluating clustering options for AMQ 5.9.1

evaluating clustering options for AMQ 5.9.1

asookazian
Hi I am doing some R&D regarding clustering for AMQ 5.9.1.  We are looking to evaluate active/active options as well as active/passive options.  Master/slave pattern seems to be popular for failover.

I've looked at the following blogs:

http://bsnyderblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-use-automatic-failover-in.html

http://sensatic.net/activemq/new-activemq-failover-and-clustering-goodies.html

http://tmielke.blogspot.com/2011/09/activemq-network-bridge-to-masterslave.html

Please advise what would be the best choice for us considering active/active scenario.  Network of brokers?  If so, what is the best example/tutorial that I can deploy to a dev lab with VMs?  thx.

Re: evaluating clustering options for AMQ 5.9.1

asookazian
How would I go about setting up a Shared File System Master Slave POC?  Is there any tutorial on this?

Re: evaluating clustering options for AMQ 5.9.1

Claus Ibsen
Hi

There is also the ActiveMQ books that covers clustering
http://activemq.apache.org/books

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:33 PM, asookazian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi I am doing some R&D regarding clustering for AMQ 5.9.1.  We are looking to
> evaluate active/active options as well as active/passive options.
> Master/slave pattern seems to be popular for failover.
>
> I've looked at the following blogs:
>
> http://bsnyderblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-use-automatic-failover-in.html
> <http://bsnyderblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-use-automatic-failover-in.html>
>
> http://sensatic.net/activemq/new-activemq-failover-and-clustering-goodies.html
> <http://sensatic.net/activemq/new-activemq-failover-and-clustering-goodies.html>
>
> http://tmielke.blogspot.com/2011/09/activemq-network-bridge-to-masterslave.html
> <http://tmielke.blogspot.com/2011/09/activemq-network-bridge-to-masterslave.html>
>
> Please advise what would be the best choice for us considering active/active
> scenario.  Network of brokers?  If so, what is the best example/tutorial
> that I can deploy to a dev lab with VMs?  thx.

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com
hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: evaluating clustering options for AMQ 5.9.1

asookazian
Which book(s) specifically covers clustering?  there were only 2 books listed on that link and i don't believe they cover clustering....

Re: evaluating clustering options for AMQ 5.9.1

Kevin Burton
I'd recommend using the replicated leveldb + zookeeper setup.

Definitely the "correct" way to do things…  We have limited experience with
it in production though.

Kevin

On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 9:48 AM, asookazian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Which book(s) specifically covers clustering?  there were only 2 books
> listed
> on that link and i don't believe they cover clustering....

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*
blog: http://burtonator.wordpress.com
… or check out my Google+ profile
<https://plus.google.com/102718274791889610666/posts>
<http://spinn3r.com>

Re: evaluating clustering options for AMQ 5.9.1

Matt Pavlovich-2
Something to keep in mind— different clustering options provide different capabilities. Network of Brokers provides scaling, reduced latency for the “next” message to be processed (fault tolerance), while Master-Slave / LevelDB replication provide high availability of messages that have yet to be consumed.

The right clustering / HA strategy can change the expected behavior of the overall system— specifically, are you expecting to maintain message ordering?

Testing master-slave HA is straight forward with KahaDB.. just point two instances to the same KahaDB data directory and you’ll see the second instance logging that it can’t obtain the lock. Drop the first instance, and in a few seconds the slave will take over the data store.

LevelDB w/ replication generally starts with three nodes to get up and running.