[activemq-user] wildcards in destinations

[activemq-user] wildcards in destinations

Matthew Sinclair-Day
Hi.

Destination wildcards are really nice for consuming messages.  I'm
wondering, are they supported for producers?  I think the answer is no.

The problem I am trying to solve is to send a message to some number of
queues without requiring the producer to have explicit knowledge of the
queues.  For example, I would like to be able to send a message to
queue://ABC.* and for the message to be placed on all queues underneath
that hierarchy (e.g. ABC.1, ABC.2).

I would use a durable topic, but there are use cases when the
durability/persistency breaks down.  In my environment, it is critical
messages are not lost.  Even though clients can come up and go down for
such things as maintenance, the broker must be able to store the
messages "indefinitely" until the message expires.

Basically, I am looking for the convenience of a topic's "multicast"
distribution with the durability of queues.

Matt

Re: [activemq-user] wildcards in destinations

chirino
Hi Matt,

I don't see why durable subscriptions to a topic would not work for you.

Regards,
Hiram

On Jun 21, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Matthew Sinclair-Day wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Destination wildcards are really nice for consuming messages.  I'm
> wondering, are they supported for producers?  I think the answer is
> no.
>
> The problem I am trying to solve is to send a message to some
> number of queues without requiring the producer to have explicit
> knowledge of the queues.  For example, I would like to be able to
> send a message to queue://ABC.* and for the message to be placed on
> all queues underneath that hierarchy (e.g. ABC.1, ABC.2).
>
> I would use a durable topic, but there are use cases when the
> durability/persistency breaks down.  In my environment, it is
> critical messages are not lost.  Even though clients can come up
> and go down for such things as maintenance, the broker must be able
> to store the messages "indefinitely" until the message expires.
>
> Basically, I am looking for the convenience of a topic's
> "multicast" distribution with the durability of queues.
>
> Matt

[activemq-user] Re: wildcards in destinations

Matthew Sinclair-Day-2
On 2005-06-21 19:29:42 -0400, Hiram Chirino
<[hidden email]> said:

> Hi Matt,
>
> I don't see why durable subscriptions to a topic would not work for you.
>
> Regards,
> Hiram

Maybe it was not working for me because of cockpit problems on my end
:)  Sorry for wasting your time.  It would help, in my testing, for the
producer to be configured with "persistent" delivery mode, so that the
consumer would receive the messages when it started up.  I guess I
understood from the JMS spec that durable subscriptions should work
this way, but wasn't thinking clearly about it.  Matt