Quantcast

[activemq-user] OutOfMemoryError with ActiveMQ3.0

[activemq-user] OutOfMemoryError with ActiveMQ3.0

Matias Otero
Hi,

Does anyone know of there being a memory leak with ActiveMQ3.0 around using
journal persistentence? I have tried removing journal persistence and using
just the supplied derbydb:

<persistence>
      <jdbcPersistence dataSourceRef="derby-ds"/>
</persistence>

After pushing through a few thousand persistent messages (that were consumed
successfully) the memory usage of the ActiveMQ processes has increased
significantly so it looks like derbydb also has the same problem. I have
already seen ActiveMQ crash in the staging environment with an
OutOfMemoryError. I strongly suspect this is going to occur in the prodution
environment aswell. Is there a specific persistence mechanism that is
recommended? Also I am setting a message life/time to live of 24 hours for
the persistent messages, is this OK? I am running ActivMQ on linux.

Cheers,
Matias.

RE: [activemq-user] OutOfMemoryError with ActiveMQ3.0

Matias Otero
Had at occur just then in the staging environment, this time there is a
better stack trace in the activemq logs:

2005-06-14 13:59:25,070 [eckpoint Worker] ERROR JournalPersistenceAdapter
- Failed to checkpoint a message store: javax.jms.JMSException: Persistence
task failed: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
javax.jms.JMSException: Persistence task failed: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
        at
org.activemq.util.JMSExceptionHelper.newJMSException(JMSExceptionHelper.java
:49)
        at
org.activemq.util.JMSExceptionHelper.newJMSException(JMSExceptionHelper.java
:41)
        at
org.activemq.util.TransactionTemplate.run(TransactionTemplate.java:53)
        at
org.activemq.store.journal.JournalMessageStore.checkpoint(JournalMessageStor
e.java:132)
        at
org.activemq.store.journal.JournalPersistenceAdapter$3.run(JournalPersistenc
eAdapter.java:351)
        at
EDU.oswego.cs.dl.util.concurrent.QueuedExecutor$RunLoop.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Caused by: java.lang.Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
        ... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Hopefully this helps you diagnose the problem a bit more.