[activemq-user] Is JDK 1.3 supported?

Mads Pultz
Hi,

Does activeMQ support JDK 1.3? After downloading a snapshot of 3.1 and
deploying the activemq-web.war into a tomcat 5 instance I get the
following exception which makes me believe that JDK 1.3 might not be
supported. If that is the case can you explain why it is not supported
(what features in 1.4+ are used that are not present in 1.3).

Regards
Mads

ERROR] HostConfig - Exception while expanding web application archive
activemq-web.war <java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/activemq/web/SpringBrokerServlet (Unsupported major.minor version
48.0)>java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/activemq/web/SpringBrokerServlet (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)
        at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:106)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClassInternal(WebappClassLoader.java:1634)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClass(WebappClassLoader.java:860)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1307)

Re: [activemq-user] Is JDK 1.3 supported?

chirino
Hi,

Yes, ActiveMQ currently only supports java 1.4 and up.

Regards,
Hiram

On Jun 21, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Mads Pultz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does activeMQ support JDK 1.3? After downloading a snapshot of 3.1 and
> deploying the activemq-web.war into a tomcat 5 instance I get the
> following exception which makes me believe that JDK 1.3 might not be
> supported. If that is the case can you explain why it is not supported
> (what features in 1.4+ are used that are not present in 1.3).
>
> Regards
> Mads
>
> ERROR] HostConfig - Exception while expanding web application archive
> activemq-web.war <java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> org/activemq/web/SpringBrokerServlet (Unsupported major.minor version
> 48.0)>java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> org/activemq/web/SpringBrokerServlet (Unsupported major.minor
> version 48.0)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:488)
>         at
> java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:
> 106)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClassInternal
> (WebappClassLoader.java:1634)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClass
> (WebappClassLoader.java:860)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass
> (WebappClassLoader.java:1307)

Re: [activemq-user] Is JDK 1.3 supported?

Mads Pultz
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Any thoughts to why that is? Is Java NIO in action?

Regards
Mads

Hiram Chirino wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, ActiveMQ currently only supports java 1.4 and up.
>
> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> On Jun 21, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Mads Pultz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does activeMQ support JDK 1.3? After downloading a snapshot of 3.1 and
>> deploying the activemq-web.war into a tomcat 5 instance I get the
>> following exception which makes me believe that JDK 1.3 might not be
>> supported. If that is the case can you explain why it is not supported
>> (what features in 1.4+ are used that are not present in 1.3).
>>
>> Regards
>> Mads
>>
>> ERROR] HostConfig - Exception while expanding web application archive
>> activemq-web.war <java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
>> org/activemq/web/SpringBrokerServlet (Unsupported major.minor version
>> 48.0)>java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
>> org/activemq/web/SpringBrokerServlet (Unsupported major.minor
>> version 48.0)
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:488)
>>         at
>> java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java: 106)
>>         at
>> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClassInternal
>> (WebappClassLoader.java:1634)
>>         at
>> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClass
>> (WebappClassLoader.java:860)
>>         at
>> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass
>> (WebappClassLoader.java:1307)

Re: [activemq-user] Is JDK 1.3 supported?

chirino

That's one part.  We require NIO for the current journal
implementation and have an optional transport that uses NIO.  But I'm
sure there a ton of 1.4 specific methods have creeped into the code-
base by now.

Regards,
Hiram

On Jun 21, 2005, at 10:05 PM, Mads Pultz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Any thoughts to why that is? Is Java NIO in
> action?
>
> Regards
> Mads
>
> Hiram Chirino wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, ActiveMQ currently only supports java 1.4 and up.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hiram
>>
>> On Jun 21, 2005, at 1:50 PM, Mads Pultz wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does activeMQ support JDK 1.3? After downloading a snapshot of
>>> 3.1 and
>>> deploying the activemq-web.war into a tomcat 5 instance I get the
>>> following exception which makes me believe that JDK 1.3 might not be
>>> supported. If that is the case can you explain why it is not
>>> supported
>>> (what features in 1.4+ are used that are not present in 1.3).
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Mads
>>>
>>> ERROR] HostConfig - Exception while expanding web application
>>> archive
>>> activemq-web.war <java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
>>> org/activemq/web/SpringBrokerServlet (Unsupported major.minor
>>> version
>>> 48.0)>java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
>>> org/activemq/web/SpringBrokerServlet (Unsupported major.minor
>>> version 48.0)
>>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
>>>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:488)
>>>         at
>>> java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass
>>> (SecureClassLoader.java: 106)
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClassInternal
>>> (WebappClassLoader.java:1634)
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.findClass
>>> (WebappClassLoader.java:860)
>>>         at
>>> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass
>>> (WebappClassLoader.java:1307)

Re: [activemq-user] Is JDK 1.3 supported?

jstrachan
ActiveMQ is shooting for J2EE 1.4 compliance along with Geronimo,
which mandates 1.4 - plus we tend to use a fair bit of NIO code
around the place (such as for journalling).

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/