What happens exactly when no consumer is present for a specific queue/topic ?

What happens exactly when no consumer is present for a specific queue/topic ?

Eric-AWL
This post was updated on .
Hi

In ActiveMQ 5.2.

I have a large network of brokers with a lot of topics and queues consumers. All brokers are connected together (with duplex network connectors, or not duplex connectors), but with a network TTL of 1 only.

We don't use persistent mode at all. No SystemUsage Policy. Only default one.

It is possible that some consumer processes are down for a long time. So, some messages are produced and not consumed at all.

After some days, we see that problems appear progressively all over our brokers, and finally all the brokers seem affected, even brokers that are not producer or never consumed messages for these queues/topics. Some other consumers seem not to receive any messages produced.

I know that it is not the normal behaviour of our application. But I just want to know if the "global freeze" situation can be the result of the fact that some messages are not consumed on some brokers.

So, I wonder if the QueueBrowser and TopicBrowser usage can be a solution for delete old not consumed messages ?
And I wonder if these browsers are considered as consumers as far as Advisory Messages are concerned ?

Eric-AWL

Re: What happens where a consumer is not present ?

gregory.guibert
Hello Eric,

I have a similar problem with ActiveMQ 5.2.

http://old.nabble.com/Producers-blocking-td26448458.html

What i did when I encountered the same "global freeze" was to disable the
producer flow control of several topics from the JConsole. Then, the message
publishing of the applications could restart. (without restarting the
brokers instances)

I have the feeling that a global failure of the network of brokers may be
linked with advisory messages topics, but I am not sure.

Now, I have disabled the producer flow control for all my topics in the
configuration file and everything is under testing.

Greg

2009/11/22 Eric-AWL <[hidden email]>

> Hi
>
> In ActiveMQ 5.2.
>
> I have a large network of brokers with a lot of topics and queues
> consumers.
> All brokers are connected together (with duplex network connectors, or not
> duplex connectors), but with a network TTL of 1 only.
>
> We don't use persistent mode at all.
>
> It is possible that some consumer processes are down for a long time. So,
> some messages are produced and not consumed at all.
>
> After some days, we see that problems appear progressively all over our
> brokers, and finally all the brokers seem affected, even brokers that are
> not producer or never consumed messages. Some other consumers seem not to
> receive any messages produced.
>
> I know that it is not the normal behaviour of our application. But I just
> want to know if the "global freeze" situation can be the result of the fact
> that some messages are not consumed on some brokers.
>
> So, I wonder if the QueueBrowser and TopicBrowser usage can be a solution
> for delete old not consumed messages ?
> And I wonder if they are considered as consumers as far as Advisory
> Messages
> are concerned ?
>

> Eric-AWL

Re: What happens where a consumer is not present ?

Eric-AWL
Hi Gregory

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I am concerned, I will try to reduce the number of non present consumers to see if the global freeze continues to appear, or appear later. (I will have to wait about one week to have first results).

It will be a good thing to exchange our results.

Eric-AWL

gregory.guibert wrote