[VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

1234

[VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

chirino
Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.

[ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
git, wiki, and jira spaces.
[ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

gtully
-0: I won't get in the way, but I'd rather we didn't do this and
replaced it, my prediction is that in a subproject it will die

On 28 January 2014 14:18, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>
> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>
> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

ceposta
+1

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>
> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>
> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

--
Christian Posta
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
+1 (non binding)

Regards
JB

On 01/28/2014 03:25 PM, Christian Posta wrote:

> +1
>
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
>> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
>> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
>> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>>
>> --
>> Hiram Chirino
>> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
>> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
>> skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino
>> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

Hadrian Zbarcea
-1: same reason.

I think it'd be better to wait for the outcome of the other discussion
before making such a decision.

Cheers,
Hadrian

On 01/28/2014 09:24 AM, Gary Tully wrote:

> -0: I won't get in the way, but I'd rather we didn't do this and
> replaced it, my prediction is that in a subproject it will die
>
> On 28 January 2014 14:18, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
>> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
>> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
>> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>>
>> --
>> Hiram Chirino
>> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
>> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
>> skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino
>> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

Claus Ibsen
+1

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>
> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>
> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

James Carman
-1, activemq needs to have a console bundled with it and it needs to
be part of the default distribution.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>
> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>
> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

Claus Ibsen
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM, James Carman
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> -1, activemq needs to have a console bundled with it and it needs to
> be part of the default distribution.

This is not a valid reason for -1. The vote has NOTHING to do about
the distribution.
Only about creating a new sub project for the web console project to live.

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
>> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
>> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
>> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>>
>> --
>> Hiram Chirino
>> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
>> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
>> skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino
>> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

James Carman
My vote isn't binding anyway.  You guys can (and apparently will) do
whatever you want, since you control the PMC.  I was adding my vote
"for the record."  You guys trying to hamstring the main distribution
of AMQ so that you can push your console is really uncool and goes
against the spirit of what the ASF is all about.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM, James Carman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> -1, activemq needs to have a console bundled with it and it needs to
>> be part of the default distribution.
>>

> This is not a valid reason for -1. The vote has NOTHING to do about
> the distribution.
> Only about creating a new sub project for the web console project to live.
>

>> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
>>> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
>>> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hiram Chirino
>>> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
>>> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
>>> skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino
>>> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> Email: [hidden email]
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com
> Make your Camel applications look hawt, try: http://hawt.io

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

zmhassan
+1

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM, James Carman
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> My vote isn't binding anyway.  You guys can (and apparently will) do
> whatever you want, since you control the PMC.  I was adding my vote
> "for the record."  You guys trying to hamstring the main distribution
> of AMQ so that you can push your console is really uncool and goes
> against the spirit of what the ASF is all about.
>
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM, James Carman
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> -1, activemq needs to have a console bundled with it and it needs to
> >> be part of the default distribution.
> >>

> > This is not a valid reason for -1. The vote has NOTHING to do about
> > the distribution.
> > Only about creating a new sub project for the web console project to
> live.

> > --
> > Claus Ibsen
> > -----------------
> > Red Hat, Inc.
> > Email: [hidden email]
> > Twitter: davsclaus
> > Blog: http://davsclaus.com
> > Author of Camel in Action: http://www.manning.com/ibsen
> > Make your Camel applications look hawt, try: http://hawt.io

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

jgomes
+0

I'd prefer leaving it included, but moving to a sub-project seems to be an
acceptable alternative.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 6:18 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>
> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>
> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

James Strachan-2
+1

On 28 January 2014 15:18, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>
> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>
> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo

--
James
-------
Red Hat

Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

dejanb
+1

Dejan Bosanac
----------------------
Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
[hidden email]
Twitter: @dejanb
Blog: http://sensatic.net

On 01/28/2014 09:18 AM, Hiram Chirino wrote:
> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>
> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project

+1

Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.
[hidden email] | www.fusesource.com | www.redhat.com
skype: tabish121 | twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

Kevin Earls
+1

On Jan 29, 2014, at 11:29 AM, Dejan Bosanac <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Regards
> --
> Dejan Bosanac
> ----------------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
> [hidden email]
> Twitter: @dejanb
> Blog: http://sensatic.net
>

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:01 AM, James Strachan <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> +1
>>

>> On 28 January 2014 15:18, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Since there seems to be general agreement that the web-console should
>>> be moved to a sub-project, lets put it to a vote and make it official.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Create the activemq-web-console sub-project with the associated
>>> git, wiki, and jira spaces.
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the making it a sub-project
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hiram Chirino
>>> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
>>> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
>>> skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino
>>> blog: Hiram Chirino's Bit Mojo
>>>

>> --
>> James
>> -------
>> Red Hat
>>
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>> Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
>> Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>>
>> Open Source Integration

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

seijoed
A big -1 that is non binding.

I'm tired of this shit, let us put it all on the table.
I probably made around 75k USD last year supporting and writing code around AMQ.
If you count the other work I probably made closer to 300k USD, so yes I'm really open.

I'm working with or I am surrounded by the people that benefit from what AMQ does.

So I'll go on and list the rest of the people here - Just from the last post.

Dejan, +1 - RedHat
Hiram, +1 - RedHat
Rob +1 - RedHat,
Claus +1 RedHat,

I could go on, I could also put their purchase history from Fuse to RedHat,
inspect AS Server Modules and SwitchYard.
Then I could ask if there was a monetary gain in Hawt (WTF?) is introduced into
Jiras, emails, mailing lists or whatever the hell else?

So - we have a PMC telling us that not using ASF code but rather RH code is good
 - since it is Secure,
- since it isn't the 90's
 - since it is what the customer wants?

Does anyone actually believe this load of shit?

On Jan 29, 2014, at 12:14 PM, Kevin Earls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Jan 29, 2014, at 11:29 AM, Dejan Bosanac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> Regards
>> --
>> Dejan Bosanac
>> ----------------------
>> Red Hat, Inc.
>> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
>> [hidden email]
>> Twitter: @dejanb
>> Blog: http://sensatic.net
>> ActiveMQ in Action: http://www.manning.com/snyder/
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:01 AM, James Strachan <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> +1

>>> --
>>> James
>>> -------
>>> Red Hat
>>>
>>> Email: [hidden email]
>>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>>> Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
>>> Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/
>>>
>>> Open Source Integration

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

rajdavies
Hi Johan,

its great to know that you are earning so much money from Apache ActiveMQ!

 I want the best experience for the end user of ActiveMQ - and that’s it - simple. Right now that’s hawtio. The old web console is frankly  well beyond love - but I can understand from a money making point of view you wouldn’t want to have hawtio as an option of end users. Which is why moving it  to a sub-project will allow you and your colleagues  to work on it - you’ll probably get even more money from your customers - or you could just save the hard work - skin hawtio however you like (Johan’s Console) - and make a mint yay!

What ever happens in the community,  what ever console we use, if nobody uses hawtio ever again, if folks went bananas and started using other OS solutions  -  I and my “Fuse” (top 10 on [1]).  colleagues get payed the same. We don’t have an interest in this for financial gain, let alone agree on what should happen - apart from the old web console is something we don’t want to work on - but when you’ve been fixing crappy bugs in for a while [1] - you may feel the same way.

When you get a salary/bonus/shares regardless  - it enables you to make decisions that’s best for the users - I don’t think that anyone else  (your colleagues or partner companies) who want so desperately to keep the old console, have the same objectivity.

Just so its all  out there - hawtio is open source, is AS2 licence - and the community is diverse. More than one large company uses it directly in their products.  Where hawtio lives, what direction it takes is entirely down to the hawtio community -  my employer - Red Hat really doesn’t care - hawtio isn’t at the ASF for other reasons.

[1] https://www.ohloh.net/p/activemq/contributors?query=&sort=commits

On 30 Jan 2014, at 05:41, Johan Edstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A big -1 that is non binding.
>
> I'm tired of this shit, let us put it all on the table.
> I probably made around 75k USD last year supporting and writing code around AMQ.
> If you count the other work I probably made closer to 300k USD, so yes I'm really open.
>
> I'm working with or I am surrounded by the people that benefit from what AMQ does.
>
> So I'll go on and list the rest of the people here - Just from the last post.
>
> Dejan, +1 - RedHat
> Hiram, +1 - RedHat
> Rob +1 - RedHat,
> Claus +1 RedHat,
>
> I could go on, I could also put their purchase history from Fuse to RedHat,
> inspect AS Server Modules and SwitchYard.
> Then I could ask if there was a monetary gain in Hawt (WTF?) is introduced into
> Jiras, emails, mailing lists or whatever the hell else?
>
> So - we have a PMC telling us that not using ASF code but rather RH code is good
> - since it is Secure,
> - since it isn't the 90's
> - since it is what the customer wants?
>
> Does anyone actually believe this load of shit?
>

> On Jan 29, 2014, at 12:14 PM, Kevin Earls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>
>> On Jan 29, 2014, at 11:29 AM, Dejan Bosanac <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> --
>>> Dejan Bosanac
>>> ----------------------
>>> Red Hat, Inc.
>>> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
>>> [hidden email]
>>> Twitter: @dejanb
>>> Blog: http://sensatic.net
>>> ActiveMQ in Action: http://www.manning.com/snyder/

Rob Davies
————————
Red Hat, Inc
http://hawt.io - #dontcha
Twitter: rajdavies
Blog: http://rajdavies.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

Tracy Snell
I bit off topic but I’d love to hear the reasons. Especially since it’s a product entirely focused on providing a console for Apache projects.

(my income will remain undisclosed)

> hawtio isn’t at the ASF for other reasons.

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

Hadrian Zbarcea
Rob, please stop stretching the truth. I would strongly encourage you
guys if you really want to continue the discussion on this tone to do it
on private@.

Cheers,
Hadrian

On 01/30/2014 03:10 AM, Robert Davies wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I could go on, I could also put their purchase history from Fuse to RedHat,
>> inspect AS Server Modules and SwitchYard.
>> Then I could ask if there was a monetary gain in Hawt (WTF?) is introduced into
>> Jiras, emails, mailing lists or whatever the hell else?
>>
>> So - we have a PMC telling us that not using ASF code but rather RH code is good
>> - since it is Secure,
>> - since it isn't the 90's
>> - since it is what the customer wants?
>>
>> Does anyone actually believe this load of shit?
>>

>> On Jan 29, 2014, at 12:14 PM, Kevin Earls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> +1

> Rob Davies
> ————————
> Red Hat, Inc
> http://hawt.io - #dontcha
> Twitter: rajdavies
> Blog: http://rajdavies.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Move the ActiveMQ web-console to a sub-project.

Oops, didn't realize that some of the parties are actually not on
private@. Maybe in private then.

Hadrian