[VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

1234

[VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

Martyn Taylor
Hello all.

I'd like to propose an Apache Artemis 1.2.0 release.

Since 1.1.0 we've had some significant improvements to performance,
particularly around the persistence layer.  In addition new features
have been added such as LDAP and OSGi support.  There has also been more
improvements to the OpenWire protocol.

The release notes can be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274

The binary distributions can be found here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/

The source archives can be found here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/

The Maven repository is here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/

The source tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/1.2.0

The project website for that version has been staged to:
http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/

The vote will remain open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 approve the release as Apache Artemis 1.2.0
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here's my (non-binding) +1

Regards

Martyn

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

Claus Ibsen
Hi

+1 (binding)

I gave the binary a quick spin, and created a broker

The readme.html file does not include 1.2.0 changes. But I really
think the readme.html should not include that details, but refer to
the website for a changelog / migration guide etc. So the readme can
be short and simple.

Also the output of the help command in the html looks ugly. Its not
spaced correctly.

And its a bit unclear that after creating a broker you must cd into
that directory to start it. eg some people may think you can start the
broker from the unzip like you can do in Apache ActiveMQ. I would like
to see the readme more clear on this. Maybe a better step by step
showing the commands and output etc so its really clear.

Also why not use a .md file instead of .html ?

In JMX the broker is listed as brokerName="0.0.0.0" but I was not
given any opportunity to name the broker when I created it from the
command line.

And I cannot see the broker name in the log when the broker start up.
That name should IMHO be allowed to enter when creating, and maybe
default to the directory name or something? And show the name in the
log.

Also I would like to be abel to easily enable jolokia out of the box.
Apache ActiveMQ has that, but Artemis does not.

The web console is likely a bit disappointment, its just the
documentation. People in 2015 would expect a management console. So
maybe point that out in the docs that there is none (yet).

When you create a queue its logged at INFO level and the message is
not with a capital letter, eg trying -> Trying

[org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server] AMQ221003: trying to deploy
queue jms.queue.foo

And is that a debug message instead of INFO ?

And when the broker shutdown, I would like to see an INFO logging that
says the uptime of the broker. See how we do that in ActiveMQ.

^C INFO | Apache ActiveMQ 5.13.0 (localhost,
ID:davsclaus.air-51151-1450593630078-0:1) is shutting down
INFO | Apache ActiveMQ 5.13.0 (localhost,
ID:davsclaus.air-51151-1450593630078-0:1) uptime 13.012 seconds
 INFO | Apache ActiveMQ 5.13.0 (localhost,
ID:davsclaus.air-51151-1450593630078-0:1) is shutdown

Also IMHO you should log at INFO level when the broker is being
shutdown, so the user can see from exactly in the log when the
shutdown starts, in case there is problems during so.

eg as shown above where I started ActiveMQ in the foreground, and then
hit CTRL+C (eg ^C).

But great to see a new release coming out at steady pace - keep up that.

Really like the protocol detection on the single port. I would love to
see in JMX some MBeans that can list those protocols and their ports
in a tree, so tooling is able to discover that.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

cschneider
+1 (non binding)

Christian

> [...]
> >
> > The release notes can be found here:
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274
> >
> > The binary distributions can be found here:
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
> >
> > The source archives can be found here:
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
> >
> > The Maven repository is here:
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/
> >
> > The source tag:
> >
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/1.2.0
> >
> > The project website for that version has been staged to:
> > http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
> >
> > The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
> >
> > [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache Artemis 1.2.0

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com
<https://owa.talend.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=3aa4083e0c744ae1ba52bd062c5a7e46&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.talend.com>

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

> Also the output of the help command in the html looks ugly. Its not
> spaced correctly.

I'm not sure where you mean that?

> And its a bit unclear that after creating a broker you must cd into
> that directory to start it. eg some people may think you can start the
> broker from the unzip like you can do in Apache ActiveMQ. I would like
> to see the readme more clear on this. Maybe a better step by step
> showing the commands and output etc so its really clear.

+1

> Also why not use a .md file instead of .html ?

I'm confused what's best here. .html are easy to read (thinking of
beginners just downloading the distro). pehaps we could switch to .md
and have a converter tool? (although I wouldn't know which one to use
from maven).

> In JMX the broker is listed as brokerName="0.0.0.0" but I was not
> given any opportunity to name the broker when I created it from the
> command line.

the cli will only ask for the host if needed (that is if you're using
clustered). otherwise you can use options (use ./artemis help create
for that).

> And I cannot see the broker name in the log when the broker start up.
> That name should IMHO be allowed to enter when creating, and maybe
> default to the directory name or something? And show the name in the
> log.

That's used for the JMX only.

> Also I would like to be abel to easily enable jolokia out of the box.
> Apache ActiveMQ has that, but Artemis does not.

It doest.. it's part of the web interface.

> The web console is likely a bit disappointment, its just the
> documentation. People in 2015 would expect a management console. So
> maybe point that out in the docs that there is none (yet).

+1

> When you create a queue its logged at INFO level and the message is
> not with a capital letter, eg trying -> Trying

+1 I was so used to this message that I never though about that.

> And when the broker shutdown, I would like to see an INFO logging that
> says the uptime of the broker. See how we do that in ActiveMQ.

+1 Nice feature.

> Also IMHO you should log at INFO level when the broker is being
> shutdown, so the user can see from exactly in the log when the
> shutdown starts, in case there is problems during so.
>
> eg as shown above where I started ActiveMQ in the foreground, and then
> hit CTRL+C (eg ^C).

I will open the JIRAs for these on monday. (Or maybe commit those if
it's an easy fix).

I don't see a reason to withdraw the release based on your feedback.
Great stuff but I don't see a need to hold it (hence your +1 already)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

Claus Ibsen
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 1:03 AM, Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Also the output of the help command in the html looks ugly. Its not
>> spaced correctly.
>
> I'm not sure where you mean that?

Open the readme.html in your browser. And then compare that to the
--help output from the CLI. At least in my browser the formatting in
the readme.html is not presented nicely.

eg remember this is about first impression, new users is likely to
open the readme as the 1st thing.

>> And its a bit unclear that after creating a broker you must cd into
>> that directory to start it. eg some people may think you can start the
>> broker from the unzip like you can do in Apache ActiveMQ. I would like
>> to see the readme more clear on this. Maybe a better step by step
>> showing the commands and output etc so its really clear.
>
> +1
>

>> Also why not use a .md file instead of .html ?
>
> I'm confused what's best here. .html are easy to read (thinking of
> beginners just downloading the distro). pehaps we could switch to .md
> and have a converter tool? (although I wouldn't know which one to use
> from maven).
>

>> In JMX the broker is listed as brokerName="0.0.0.0" but I was not
>> given any opportunity to name the broker when I created it from the
>> command line.
>
> the cli will only ask for the host if needed (that is if you're using
> clustered). otherwise you can use options (use ./artemis help create
> for that).
>

>> And I cannot see the broker name in the log when the broker start up.
>> That name should IMHO be allowed to enter when creating, and maybe
>> default to the directory name or something? And show the name in the
>> log.
>

> That's used for the JMX only.

Its still a part of naming the broker. IMHO you should not hide that
fact. People should be able to see from the logs what the name would
be in JMX so they are sure they find the correct broker.

Now its also seldom to use 2+ message brokers in the same JVM. Not
sure that is really best practice.

Since the broker name is "dynamic" then it makes tooling harder to
predict the mbean name tree. As 99,9% uses 1 broker in the JVM why not
have it default as before. And then if you really want 2+ then you
need to enable configure the managementBrokerName to make them unique
in that tree.

>> Also I would like to be abel to easily enable jolokia out of the box.
>> Apache ActiveMQ has that, but Artemis does not.
>
> It doest.. it's part of the web interface.

If Jolokia is enabled then please log the jolokia url in the logs when
you start up. See how we do that in ActiveMQ.

I can find some details in the user guide
http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/1.1.0/management.html

And btw there is typo in the docs -

 example to query thebrokers version

-->

there is no space between thebrokers

>> The web console is likely a bit disappointment, its just the
>> documentation. People in 2015 would expect a management console. So
>> maybe point that out in the docs that there is none (yet).
>
> +1
>

>> When you create a queue its logged at INFO level and the message is
>> not with a capital letter, eg trying -> Trying
>>

> +1 I was so used to this message that I never though about that.
>
>> And when the broker shutdown, I would like to see an INFO logging that
>> says the uptime of the broker. See how we do that in ActiveMQ.
>

> +1 Nice feature.
>

>> Also IMHO you should log at INFO level when the broker is being
>> shutdown, so the user can see from exactly in the log when the
>> shutdown starts, in case there is problems during so.
>>
>> eg as shown above where I started ActiveMQ in the foreground, and then
>> hit CTRL+C (eg ^C).
>>

> I will open the JIRAs for these on monday. (Or maybe commit those if
> it's an easy fix).
>

> I don't see a reason to withdraw the release based on your feedback.
> Great stuff but I don't see a need to hold it (hence your +1 already)

Yes its a +1 - great to see a new release out.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

andytaylor
+1 (non binding)

created and ran a server and a few examples. built from source ok. all
on windows 10

On 18/12/15 17:36, Martyn Taylor wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I'd like to propose an Apache Artemis 1.2.0 release.
>
> Since 1.1.0 we've had some significant improvements to performance,
> particularly around the persistence layer.  In addition new features
> have been added such as LDAP and OSGi support.  There has also been more
> improvements to the OpenWire protocol.
>
> The release notes can be found here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274
>

> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>

> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>

> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/
>
> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/1.2.0
>

> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache Artemis 1.2.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

Martyn Taylor
This is really great feedback Claus, it's exactly the type of thing we
need.  Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

We'll get all your comments captured in JIRA and aim to address them in
the next release.

On 20/12/15 06:52, Claus Ibsen wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> The release notes can be found here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274
>>
>> The binary distributions can be found here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>>
>> The source archives can be found here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>>
>> The Maven repository is here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/
>>
>> The source tag:
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/1.2.0
>>
>> The project website for that version has been staged to:
>> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>>
>> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache Artemis 1.2.0

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

christopher.l.shannon
+1 (non-binding)

Built from source and ran the quick tests
Checked headers
Deployed and ran the broker from the binary on CentOS
Ran several different examples

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 4:55 AM, Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> The release notes can be found here:
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274
>>>
>>> The binary distributions can be found here:
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>>>
>>> The source archives can be found here:
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>>>
>>> The Maven repository is here:
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/
>>>
>>> The source tag:
>>>
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/1.2.0
>>>
>>> The project website for that version has been staged to:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>>>
>>> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache Artemis 1.2.0

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

chirino
+1 (binding) All looks good to me.

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

+1 (binding)

* Checked signatures and checksums
* Ran broker from binary and test with some external client code.
* Built from source and ran some tests.
* Checked for valid LICENSE and NOTICE files.

For the next release I'd encourage you to move ahead open issues that
are still targeting the release but aren't actually going to make it in,
several of the issues on the release notes page do not appear to be
items that will be resolved in this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274
Would make it easier to review what is supposed to be fixed in the
release being voted on.

On 12/18/2015 12:36 PM, Martyn Taylor wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I'd like to propose an Apache Artemis 1.2.0 release.
>
> Since 1.1.0 we've had some significant improvements to performance,
> particularly around the persistence layer.  In addition new features
> have been added such as LDAP and OSGi support.  There has also been
> more improvements to the OpenWire protocol.
>
> The release notes can be found here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274
>

> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>

> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>

> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/
>

> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/1.2.0
>

> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache Artemis 1.2.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

John D. Ament-2
Sorry but -1 (non-binding)

There are binary files in the source release, under artemis-native/bin/

Ideally, the source release would include the C/C++ code required to build
these so's, but I'm not sure that they're anywhere in the artemis codebase.

In addition, compiling on a mac, latest patches, I can't build the source
release on 1.8.0_u51 with the following error:

Error: Could not find or load main class
2.artemis-commons....tests.config.logging.properties

Results :

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.18.1:test (default-test)
on project artemis-commons: Execution default-test of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.18.1:test failed: The
forked VM terminated without properly saying goodbye. VM crash or
System.exit called?

[ERROR] Command was /bin/sh -c cd
"/Users/johnament/Downloads/apache-artemis-1.2.0 2/artemis-commons" &&
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_51.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.jboss.logmanager.LogManager
-Dlogging.configuration=file:/Users/johnament/Downloads/apache-artemis-1.2.0
2/artemis-commons/../tests/config/logging.properties
-Djava.library.path=/Users/johnament/Downloads/apache-artemis-1.2.0
2/artemis-commons/../artemis-native/bin/ -Djgroups.bind_addr=localhost
-Dorg.apache.activemq.artemis.api.core.UDPBroadcastEndpointFactory.localBindAddress=localhost
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -jar
'/Users/johnament/Downloads/apache-artemis-1.2.0
2/artemis-commons/target/surefire/surefirebooter197336116502841627.jar'
'/Users/johnament/Downloads/apache-artemis-1.2.0
2/artemis-commons/target/surefire/surefire8924091653426997785tmp'
'/Users/johnament/Downloads/apache-artemis-1.2.0
2/artemis-commons/target/surefire/surefire_03004869270640953611tmp'

[ERROR] -> [Help 1]

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:36 PM Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I'd like to propose an Apache Artemis 1.2.0 release.
>
> Since 1.1.0 we've had some significant improvements to performance,
> particularly around the persistence layer.  In addition new features
> have been added such as LDAP and OSGi support.  There has also been more
> improvements to the OpenWire protocol.
>
> The release notes can be found here:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274
>

> The binary distributions can be found here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>

> The source archives can be found here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>

> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/
>
> The source tag:
>
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/1.2.0
>

> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache Artemis 1.2.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

clebertsuconic
This has been like this since 1.0.0

The binaries are there for being easy of use for users who only want
to build the jars. If they want to build the native part they can just
refer to http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/1.1.0/libaio.html

and use cmake . and  make.

and this is just on Linux BTW. It's not supposed to be compiled on
anything else other than windows.

I don't want to require users to install cmake and make just to
compile this small library. it should be an optional step for those
who want to do it.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> The release notes can be found here:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274
>>

>> The binary distributions can be found here:
>>
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>>

>> The source archives can be found here:
>>
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
>>

>> The Maven repository is here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/
>>
>> The source tag:
>>
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/1.2.0
>>

>> The project website for that version has been staged to:
>> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>>
>> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache Artemis 1.2.0

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

John D. Ament-2
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:16 PM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This has been like this since 1.0.0

Then I missed them in prior votes.  Mea culpa.

> The binaries are there for being easy of use for users who only want
> to build the jars. If they want to build the native part they can just
> refer to http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/1.1.0/libaio.html
>

> and use cmake . and  make.
>
> and this is just on Linux BTW. It's not supposed to be compiled on
> anything else other than windows.
>

> I don't want to require users to install cmake and make just to
> compile this small library. it should be an optional step for those
> who want to do it.

Nothing's stopping you from including them in the binary release.  They
should be excluded in the source release.

> [...]
> >>
> >> The release notes can be found here:
> >>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12333274
> >>

> >> The binary distributions can be found here:
> >>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
> >>

> >> The source archives can be found here:
> >>

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.2.0/
> >>

> >> The Maven repository is here:
> >>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1076/
> >>
> >> The source tag:
> >>

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-artemis.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/1.2.0
> >>

> >> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
> >>
> >> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
> >>
> >> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache Artemis 1.2.0

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

clebertsuconic
> Nothing's stopping you from including them in the binary release.  They
> should be excluded in the source release.

It's been easier to keep these .so there. I'm about to give up
maintaining 32 bits. but right now you would need to log on 32 bits..
compile it.. log on 64 bits.. compile it..to make a full binary
distribution from the source.

removing the .so will only complicate things.. I don't think we should
be so purist on this matter.

Although if more people think this is an issue.. I'm always reasonable
to change my opinion.. I have been doing this way just to make it
easier on people building it.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

John D. Ament-2
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:34 PM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Nothing's stopping you from including them in the binary release.  They
> > should be excluded in the source release.
>

> It's been easier to keep these .so there. I'm about to give up
> maintaining 32 bits. but right now you would need to log on 32 bits..
> compile it.. log on 64 bits.. compile it..to make a full binary
> distribution from the source.
>
> removing the .so will only complicate things.. I don't think we should
> be so purist on this matter.

I think you're thinking about removing the .so's from the git repo.  I'm
not requesting that.  They simply can't be in the source release tar.gz/zip
archives.

John

> Although if more people think this is an issue.. I'm always reasonable
> to change my opinion.. I have been doing this way just to make it
> easier on people building it.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

dkulp

> On Dec 21, 2015, at 12:27 PM, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:16 PM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> This has been like this since 1.0.0
>>

> Then I missed them in prior votes.  Mea culpa.

We all missed them on the prior releases.

>> I don't want to require users to install cmake and make just to
>> compile this small library. it should be an optional step for those
>> who want to do it.
>>

> Nothing's stopping you from including them in the binary release.  They
> should be excluded in the source release.

Actually, this is more serious than that.  If I’m reading correctly, libaio is LGPL.  Thus, we cannot use it from an Apache release unless its:

1) completely optional - Artemis would have to “functionally work” without it

2) Not be part of the default build - in our case, we’d need  a maven profile to build it and that profile would need to not be activeByDefault.

Thus, I think this release cannot be released as is.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

clebertsuconic

> Actually, this is more serious than that.  If I’m reading correctly, libaio is LGPL.  Thus, we cannot use it from an Apache release unless its:

We are not redistributing libaio.. libaio is a Kernel functionality
from Linux. We have an implementation that is just using a kernel
functionality available on any Linux Kernel. you need to install the
libaio header but the functiionality is part of the linux kernel.

Saying so would be the same as saying you can't use any OS that's
LGPL.. which is not the case.

> 1) completely optional - Artemis would have to “functionally work” without it

It does, however we get a lot of performance boos if you use it.

> 2) Not be part of the default build - in our case, we’d need  a maven profile to build it and that profile would need to not be activeByDefault.
>
> Thus, I think this release cannot be released as is.

I disagree.. the release should include it... our implementation is
apache licensed.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

John D. Ament-2
On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:55 PM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Actually, this is more serious than that.  If I’m reading correctly,
> libaio is LGPL.  Thus, we cannot use it from an Apache release unless its:
> >
> We are not redistributing libaio.. libaio is a Kernel functionality
> from Linux. We have an implementation that is just using a kernel
> functionality available on any Linux Kernel. you need to install the
> libaio header but the functiionality is part of the linux kernel.
>
> Saying so would be the same as saying you can't use any OS that's
> LGPL.. which is not the case.
>

> > 1) completely optional - Artemis would have to “functionally work”
> without it
> >

> It does, however we get a lot of performance boos if you use it.
>

> > 2) Not be part of the default build - in our case, we’d need  a maven
> profile to build it and that profile would need to not be activeByDefault.
> >
> > Thus, I think this release cannot be released as is.
>

> I disagree.. the release should include it... our implementation is
> apache licensed.

I'm assuming that it's accessed like a DLL?
Is libaio required to compile the library?

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

dkulp

> On Dec 21, 2015, at 12:55 PM, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Actually, this is more serious than that.  If I’m reading correctly, libaio is LGPL.  Thus, we cannot use it from an Apache release unless its:
>>
> We are not redistributing libaio.. libaio is a Kernel functionality
> from Linux. We have an implementation that is just using a kernel
> functionality available on any Linux Kernel. you need to install the
> libaio header but the functiionality is part of the linux kernel.
>
> Saying so would be the same as saying you can't use any OS that's
> LGPL.. which is not the case.

But the parts of the “OS” that is used generally has some sort of “classpath exception” or similar or there is another implementation that is completely usable that is not LGPL (example: the stdc++ runtimes).   libaio does not.  It is specifically LGPL.

In particular, in org_apache_activemq_artemis_jlibaio_LibaioContext.c, I see right at the top:

#ifndef _GNU_SOURCE
// libaio, O_DIRECT and other things won't be available without this define
#define _GNU_SOURCE
#endif

That’s in direct conflict with the license header.

>> 2) Not be part of the default build - in our case, we’d need  a maven profile to build it and that profile would need to not be activeByDefault.
>>
>> Thus, I think this release cannot be released as is.
>
> I disagree.. the release should include it... our implementation is
> apache licensed.

…linked to libraries that are LGPL and only LGPL, which is not allowed per ASF policy.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Apache Artemis 1.2.0

clebertsuconic
In particular, in org_apache_activemq_artemis_jlibaio_LibaioContext.c,
I see right at the top:

#ifndef _GNU_SOURCE
// libaio, O_DIRECT and other things won't be available without this define
#define _GNU_SOURCE
#endif

this has nothing to do with LGPL licenses.. or even libaio on this
instance.. That's how you enable O_DIRECT, with O_DIRECT being a Linux
extension non conformant with POSIX.  the header is there for any
source code using it.

> …linked to libraries that are LGPL and only LGPL, which is not allowed per ASF policy.

Dynamic linked.. it doesn't not include libaio.
1234