[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0

123456

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

dejanb
Hi,

I’ve checked release candidate:

- Checked the signature
- Built the source release
- Checked dependencies
- Ran the broker
- Ran 5.x client against it
- Checked JMX, Jolokia APIs
- Ran couple of examples
- Checked docs, web site, Javadocs

It all looks good from here. Great work.

+1

Dejan Bosanac
----------------------
Red Hat, Inc.
[hidden email]
Twitter: @dejanb
Blog: http://sensatic.net

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I've cut a third release candidate of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0, addressing
> the RC2 feedback from community members.
>
> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for
> AMQP, STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE.
>
> The release notes can be found here:
> projectId=12315920&version=12328953
>
> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1038/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1038/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1038/
>
> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=
> tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>
> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

Reviewed and everything looks to be in place: +1

On 03/17/2015 05:26 AM, Martyn Taylor wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I've cut a third release candidate of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0,
> addressing the RC2 feedback from community members.
>
> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for
> AMQP, STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE.
>
> The release notes can be found here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12328953
>

> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1038/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>

> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1038/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>

> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1038/
>

> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>

> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.
[hidden email] | www.redhat.com
skype: tabish121 | twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

Robbie Gemmell
+1 (non-binding)

I tested out the src+bin tar.gz archives as follows:
- Checked the license/notice files were present and look ok.
- Verified the sigs using key from
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/martyntaylor.asc
- Checked the deps in the binary tar look good license wise.
- Built the src archive, ran the tests from the fast-tests profile.
- Fired up the broker using the binary archive.
- Browsed the docs on the embedded webserver (project info page now
working nicely).
- Used the JMX management interface to add a 'JMS queue'.
- Kicked the tyres by sending+receiving a message from the queue using
an AMQP client.

Robbie

On 17 March 2015 at 09:26, Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I've cut a third release candidate of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0, addressing the
> RC2 feedback from community members.
>
> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for AMQP,
> STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE.
>
> The release notes can be found here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12328953
>
> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1038/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1038/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1038/
>
> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>
> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

chirino
+1 Looks good to me.  Great job guys!

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

On 17 Mar 2015 09:26, "Martyn Taylor" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I've cut a third release candidate of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0, addressing
> the RC2 feedback from community members.
>
> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for
> AMQP, STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE.
>
> The release notes can be found here:
> projectId=12315920&version=12328953
>
> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1038/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1038/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1038/
>
> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=
> tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>
> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

artnaseef
-1

First off, please start a new thread for the next vote.  This is getting confusing.  (That has nothing to do with the -1).

Second, I have to -1 on this vote because of a build failure while trying to build the project using the following command which captures the full output:

    script BUILD.log mvn clean install

The error indicates the file BUILD.log is missing a license header.

I look forward to the next RC!

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

clebertsuconic
This is not a failure.  Send the build.log to another directory.

-- Clebert Suconic typing on the iPhone.

> On Mar 19, 2015, at 18:56, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> -1
>
> First off, please start a new thread for the next vote.  This is getting
> confusing.  (That has nothing to do with the -1).
>
> Second, I have to -1 on this vote because of a build failure while trying to
> build the project using the following command which captures the full
> output:
>
>    script BUILD.log mvn clean install
>
> The error indicates the file BUILD.log is missing a license header.
>
> I look forward to the next RC!

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

We can fix that. But it's not a reason to hold the release.  Just send it to /tmp/build.log

-- Clebert Suconic typing on the iPhone.

> On Mar 19, 2015, at 18:56, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> -1
>
> First off, please start a new thread for the next vote.  This is getting
> confusing.  (That has nothing to do with the -1).
>
> Second, I have to -1 on this vote because of a build failure while trying to
> build the project using the following command which captures the full
> output:
>
>    script BUILD.log mvn clean install
>
> The error indicates the file BUILD.log is missing a license header.
>
> I look forward to the next RC!

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

artnaseef
There is a bigger concern here.  Apache project releases are source code releases.  The intent is for folks to be able to work in these directories.

Failing the build on license checks on non-build files is going to be a concern.  It just doesn't make sense - and it should be easy to fix.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

clebertsuconic
I agree it's an issue. I disagree it's a blocker.

as I said anyone can just switch the directory to any other folder for
the log output.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 7:32 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a bigger concern here.  Apache project releases are source code
> releases.  The intent is for folks to be able to work in these directories.
>
> Failing the build on license checks on non-build files is going to be a
> concern.  It just doesn't make sense - and it should be easy to fix.

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

Regardless of being an issue or not.. please go further on your
analysis. place the output on /tmp or anywhere else.. and lets us know
if this is the only issue you see.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 7:32 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a bigger concern here.  Apache project releases are source code
> releases.  The intent is for folks to be able to work in these directories.
>
> Failing the build on license checks on non-build files is going to be a
> concern.  It just doesn't make sense - and it should be easy to fix.

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

artnaseef
I will continue to look at this as I can find time.

One question I'm seeing now - the artifact naming is using activemq- for the prefix, and a greater concern is the overlap of the artifacts like the followin:

* activemq-ra
* activemq-web

I'm concerned that Maven central will have two sets of artifacts with the activemq name, which will lead to confusion for users.  And, I'm especially concerned that two totally different artifacts with the same name will be in maven central.

Until HornetQ becomes a replacement for ActiveMQ and we decide to stop maintaining ActiveMQ, I'm concerned that we need to avoid this type of confusion.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

Hadrian Zbarcea
That is very true. -1 as well.
Hadrian

On 03/19/2015 08:57 PM, artnaseef wrote:

> I will continue to look at this as I can find time.
>
> One question I'm seeing now - the artifact naming is using activemq- for the
> prefix, and a greater concern is the overlap of the artifacts like the
> followin:
>
> * activemq-ra
> * activemq-web
>
> I'm concerned that Maven central will have two sets of artifacts with the
> activemq name, which will lead to confusion for users.  And, I'm especially
> concerned that two totally different artifacts with the same name will be in
> maven central.
>
> Until HornetQ becomes a replacement for ActiveMQ and we decide to stop
> maintaining ActiveMQ, I'm concerned that we need to avoid this type of
> confusion.

[Cancel][VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

Martyn Taylor
Cancelling vote based on 2x -1.

On 20/03/15 01:23, Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:

> That is very true. -1 as well.
> Hadrian
>
> On 03/19/2015 08:57 PM, artnaseef wrote:
>> I will continue to look at this as I can find time.
>>
>> One question I'm seeing now - the artifact naming is using activemq-
>> for the
>> prefix, and a greater concern is the overlap of the artifacts like the
>> followin:
>>
>> * activemq-ra
>> * activemq-web
>>
>> I'm concerned that Maven central will have two sets of artifacts with
>> the
>> activemq name, which will lead to confusion for users.  And, I'm
>> especially
>> concerned that two totally different artifacts with the same name
>> will be in
>> maven central.
>>
>> Until HornetQ becomes a replacement for ActiveMQ and we decide to stop
>> maintaining ActiveMQ, I'm concerned that we need to avoid this type of
>> confusion.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

Ok, I can see how using the same coordinates could cause some confusion,

What about using org.apache.activemq-6, with version starting at ="1.0"

what do you think?'

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 9:23 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is very true. -1 as well.
> Hadrian
>
> On 03/19/2015 08:57 PM, artnaseef wrote:
>>
>> I will continue to look at this as I can find time.
>>
>> One question I'm seeing now - the artifact naming is using activemq- for
>> the
>> prefix, and a greater concern is the overlap of the artifacts like the
>> followin:
>>
>> * activemq-ra
>> * activemq-web
>>
>> I'm concerned that Maven central will have two sets of artifacts with the
>> activemq name, which will lead to confusion for users.  And, I'm
>> especially
>> concerned that two totally different artifacts with the same name will be
>> in
>> maven central.
>>
>> Until HornetQ becomes a replacement for ActiveMQ and we decide to stop
>> maintaining ActiveMQ, I'm concerned that we need to avoid this type of
>> confusion.

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

chirino
Well I think you still run into the same confusion if you call it
ActiveMQ 6.  Why not give it a code name like activemq-<codename>
until it's ready to take over as ActiveMQ 6.  I do agree with starting
at 1.0.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I can see how using the same coordinates could cause some confusion,
>
> What about using org.apache.activemq-6, with version starting at ="1.0"
>
> what do you think?'
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 9:23 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That is very true. -1 as well.
>> Hadrian
>>
>> On 03/19/2015 08:57 PM, artnaseef wrote:
>>>
>>> I will continue to look at this as I can find time.
>>>
>>> One question I'm seeing now - the artifact naming is using activemq- for
>>> the
>>> prefix, and a greater concern is the overlap of the artifacts like the
>>> followin:
>>>
>>> * activemq-ra
>>> * activemq-web
>>>
>>> I'm concerned that Maven central will have two sets of artifacts with the
>>> activemq name, which will lead to confusion for users.  And, I'm
>>> especially
>>> concerned that two totally different artifacts with the same name will be
>>> in
>>> maven central.
>>>
>>> Until HornetQ becomes a replacement for ActiveMQ and we decide to stop
>>> maintaining ActiveMQ, I'm concerned that we need to avoid this type of
>>> confusion.
>>>

>>> --

> Clebert Suconic
> http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
> http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

clebertsuconic
I thought about activemq.next but some people think the name stinks...

if you don't want 6 or .next i will need help because I'm out of names

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well I think you still run into the same confusion if you call it
> ActiveMQ 6.  Why not give it a code name like activemq-<codename>
> until it's ready to take over as ActiveMQ 6.  I do agree with starting
> at 1.0.
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Clebert Suconic
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ok, I can see how using the same coordinates could cause some confusion,
>>
>> What about using org.apache.activemq-6, with version starting at ="1.0"
>>
>> what do you think?'
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 9:23 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> That is very true. -1 as well.
>>> Hadrian

>> Clebert Suconic
>> http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
>> http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com
>

> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

jgoodyear
activemq.nest? It's the home for the next generation...

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought about activemq.next but some people think the name stinks...
>
> if you don't want 6 or .next i will need help because I'm out of names
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:02 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well I think you still run into the same confusion if you call it
>> ActiveMQ 6.  Why not give it a code name like activemq-<codename>
>> until it's ready to take over as ActiveMQ 6.  I do agree with starting
>> at 1.0.
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Clebert Suconic
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Ok, I can see how using the same coordinates could cause some confusion,
>>>
>>> What about using org.apache.activemq-6, with version starting at ="1.0"
>>>
>>> what do you think?'

>>> --
>>> Clebert Suconic
>>> http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
>>> http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com
>>

>> --
>> Hiram Chirino
>> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
>> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
>> skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino
>

> --
> Clebert Suconic
> http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
> http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

dkulp
How is this any different than say  CXF 2.7.x to CXF 3.0.x?     Both versions use the same maven coordinates.    Or Karaf 2.x -> 3.x -> 4.x?

My opinion is that if this is intended to eventually be a “6.0” of ActiveMQ, then lets keep going that direction.  That said, if it’s not ready to be a full replacement, then give it a slightly different naming, like “6.0.0-M1” for milestone 1 or similar.     I guess that would be my preference.   Until we have all the migration issues hammered out and and feature replacements in place,  (and OSGi support)  I’m kind uncomfortable calling it 6.0.   However, a "release milestone” along that path is still a good idea to get people working on it.

Dan

> On Mar 19, 2015, at 8:57 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I will continue to look at this as I can find time.
>
> One question I'm seeing now - the artifact naming is using activemq- for the
> prefix, and a greater concern is the overlap of the artifacts like the
> followin:
>
> * activemq-ra
> * activemq-web
>
> I'm concerned that Maven central will have two sets of artifacts with the
> activemq name, which will lead to confusion for users.  And, I'm especially
> concerned that two totally different artifacts with the same name will be in
> maven central.
>
> Until HornetQ becomes a replacement for ActiveMQ and we decide to stop
> maintaining ActiveMQ, I'm concerned that we need to avoid this type of
> confusion.

Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

chirino
Great idea.  Seem simpler too.  +1 for adding -M1

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:17 AM, Daniel Kulp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How is this any different than say  CXF 2.7.x to CXF 3.0.x?     Both versions use the same maven coordinates.    Or Karaf 2.x -> 3.x -> 4.x?
>
> My opinion is that if this is intended to eventually be a “6.0” of ActiveMQ, then lets keep going that direction.  That said, if it’s not ready to be a full replacement, then give it a slightly different naming, like “6.0.0-M1” for milestone 1 or similar.     I guess that would be my preference.   Until we have all the migration issues hammered out and and feature replacements in place,  (and OSGi support)  I’m kind uncomfortable calling it 6.0.   However, a "release milestone” along that path is still a good idea to get people working on it.
>
> Dan
>

>> On Mar 19, 2015, at 8:57 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I will continue to look at this as I can find time.
>>
>> One question I'm seeing now - the artifact naming is using activemq- for the
>> prefix, and a greater concern is the overlap of the artifacts like the
>> followin:
>>
>> * activemq-ra
>> * activemq-web
>>
>> I'm concerned that Maven central will have two sets of artifacts with the
>> activemq name, which will lead to confusion for users.  And, I'm especially
>> concerned that two totally different artifacts with the same name will be in
>> maven central.
>>
>> Until HornetQ becomes a replacement for ActiveMQ and we decide to stop
>> maintaining ActiveMQ, I'm concerned that we need to avoid this type of
>> confusion.

> Daniel Kulp
> [hidden email] - http://dankulp.com/blog

Hiram Chirino