[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0

1234 ... 6

[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0

Martyn Taylor
Hello all.

I've cut a first release candidate of the ActiveMQ-6 project.

This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for
AMQP, STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE

--

The release notes can be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12328953

The binary distributions can be found here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/

The source archives can be found here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/

The Maven repository is here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/

The source tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0

The project website for that version has been staged to:
http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/

The vote will remain open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here's my (non-binding) +1

Regards

Martyn

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0

gtully
great work :-)

sigs on source look good.

license present on all files.

source has appropriately licensed dependencies.

source distro builds and broker starts and looks great.

jms/queue example works

verification of openwire support using 5.x client not so good.
producer works (and it should not) and consumer gets destination not exist.
adding queue definition to broker xml sorts it so this is not a blocker.

There is a cat-X dependency in the tests that should be optional; i.e:
enabled with a non default profile

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project jms-tests: Could not resolve
dependencies for project
org.apache.activemq.tests:jms-tests:jar:6.0.0: The repository system
is offline but the artifact
org.jboss.jbossts.jts:jbossjts-jacorb:jar:4.17.13.Final is not
available in the local repository.

(I had removed it locally to ensure it was not referenced by the default build.)

This is a blocker, I got to -1 the release.

On 10 March 2015 at 15:14, Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I've cut a first release candidate of the ActiveMQ-6 project.
>
> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for AMQP,
> STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE
>
> --
>
> The release notes can be found here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12328953
>
> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/
>
> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>
> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

[CANCEL] [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0

Martyn Taylor
Cancelling the vote based on feedback from Gary Tully.  A new RC is to
follow addressing all of Gary's comments.

Thanks
Martyn

--

On 10/03/15 15:14, Martyn Taylor wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I've cut a first release candidate of the ActiveMQ-6 project.
>
> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for
> AMQP, STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE

Re: [CANCEL] [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0

Robbie Gemmell
I tried out the source and binary tar.gz archives a little.

The source release (which is the one that really counts) has no
LICENSE file, and the NOTICE file contains the ASLv2 text which should
be in LICENSE but lacks the text required for NOTICE. See
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#simple for the minimal
starting point for the ifles, and elsewhere on the page for details on
expanding from that.

The binary release has no LICENSE or NOTICE files in the first dir.
There is a LICENSE file in the licenses subdir, it should be moved to
the main dir and updated with any additional licenses/pointers needed
for bundled dependencies not using ASLv2. There are more details on
this on the page linked above.

When I tried reading the documentation via the embedded jetty I got a
404 when reaching "3. Project Info" either by keyboard navigation or
the menu. It tries to load
http://localhost:8161/user-manual/project-info/project-info.html.

On the "7. Using the Server" page, the "Configuration files" section
has a missing/incomplete reference: "All the parameters in this file
are described in ?. Please see ? for more information on this file".
Further down the page in "The main configuration file" there is
actually a reference link but it just links back to the same page.

Going to the "53. Configuration Reference" page using the menu
instead, I noticed that all the quick links in the table are to the
.md files and so 404 when used.

I noticed an NPE when kicking the tyres with an AMQP client, which I
actually raised as ACTIVEMQ6-55 a while ago but never looped back and
submitted a fix for, so I now have. It would be good to get that in
the release since its really easy to hit out the box if you dont first
configure a JMS queue in the config file and get the appropriately
formatted address string to use it. I noticed a readme issue about
building the distro when trying that change out, I also submitted a
pull request for that.

Robbie

On 12 March 2015 at 11:27, Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cancelling the vote based on feedback from Gary Tully.  A new RC is to
> follow addressing all of Gary's comments.
>
> Thanks
> Martyn
>
> --
>
> Hello all.
>
> I've cut a first release candidate of the ActiveMQ-6 project.
>
> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for AMQP,
> STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE
>
> --
>
> The release notes can be found here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12328953
>
> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/
>
> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>
> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn
> On 10/03/15 15:14, Martyn Taylor wrote:
>>
>> Hello all.
>>
>> I've cut a first release candidate of the ActiveMQ-6 project.
>>
>> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for
>> AMQP, STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE

Re: [CANCEL] [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0

Martyn Taylor
Thanks Robbie.  I'll ensure these issues are addressed in the next RC.

On 12/03/15 12:15, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> The Maven repository is here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1035/
>>
>> The source tag:
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>>
>> The project website for that version has been staged to:
>> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>>
>> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
>> [ ] +0 no opinion
>> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>>
>> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Martyn
>> On 10/03/15 15:14, Martyn Taylor wrote:
>>> Hello all.
>>>
>>> I've cut a first release candidate of the ActiveMQ-6 project.
>>>
>>> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for

[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC2)

Martyn Taylor
Hello all.

I've cut a second release candidate of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 addressing
the initial RC feedback from community members.

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/

The source archives can be found here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/

The Maven repository is here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/

The source tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0

The project website for that version has been staged to:
http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/

The vote will remain open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here's my (non-binding) +1

Regards

Martyn

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC2)

gtully
Thanks for the fast turnaround.

NOTICE and LICENCE files look correct in both source and binary distros.

source builds, tests run, resulting binary looks great.

However, I found one Cat-x transitive dep that breaks the build.
I added an exclusion and the source builds find, so the dependency is
not required but it needs to be removed.

Detail:
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project activemq-rest: Could not
resolve dependencies for project
org.apache.activemq.rest:activemq-rest:jar:6.0.0: The repository
system is offline but the artifact
org.jboss.spec.javax.annotation:jboss-annotations-api_1.1_spec:jar:1.0.1.Final
..

Resolution:
<dependency>
  <groupId>org.jboss.resteasy</groupId>
  <artifactId>resteasy-jaxrs</artifactId>
  <exclusions>
   <exclusion><groupId>org.jboss.spec.javax.annotation</groupId><artifactId>jboss-annotations-api_1.1_spec</artifactId>
  </exclusion>
 </exclusions>
</dependency>

So this is another -1.

However, with this issue fixed and no regressions - I am ready to +1
this release.

Shout out to other pmc members - even if you don't intend to vote, can
you take a few moments to cast your eyes over the artifacts.
As this is a first release, we need many eyes to validate there are no
glaring omissions.

On 12 March 2015 at 21:30, Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I've cut a second release candidate of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 addressing the
> initial RC feedback from community members.
>
> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for AMQP,
> STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE
>

> The release notes can be found here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12328953
>
> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>
> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/
>
> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>
> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

[CANCEL][VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC2)

Martyn Taylor
Cancelling vote.  Another RC will follow addressing the Cat X issue as
described by Gary Tully.

On 12/03/15 21:30, Martyn Taylor wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I've cut a second release candidate of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
> addressing the initial RC feedback from community members.
>
> This is a first release of the HornetQ code donation with support for
> AMQP, STOMP, CORE and OPENWIRE
>

> The release notes can be found here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12328953
>

> The binary distributions can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>

> The source archives can be found here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>

> The Maven repository is here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/
>

> The source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>

> The project website for that version has been staged to:
> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>
> Regards
>
> Martyn

Re: [CANCEL][VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC2)

clebertsuconic
Even though we are canceling the vote we would appreciate feedback
from other PMCs as Gary Mentioned.

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC2)

Robbie Gemmell
I downloaded the src+bin tar.gz files, and gave the src build a run
through and kicked the tyres on the binary. The NPE from RC1 when
using an AMQP client is now fixed. In the docs the links to the
configuration index now work, and the table there now links to the
.html files rather than the .md files.

For the docs, the project-info page near the start is still 404's.

Looking at some of the diff since RC1, I noticed that some JSON
related source files had their 'JSON licence' restored to them. They
should be mentioned in the distro LICENCE files as a result, either
including the license or pointing to it in the tree. The
activemq-core-client jar has the ASLv2 included twice in its
META-INF/LICENCE file, likely due to the appended-resources file for
adding the licence for the JSON bits.

There was a base64.txt licence file previously that went away; is that
code no longer included?

Robbie

On 13 March 2015 at 14:05, Gary Tully <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>>
>> The Maven repository is here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/
>>
>> The source tag:
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>>
>> The project website for that version has been staged to:
>> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>>
>> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0
>> [ ] +0 no opinion
>> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>>
>> Here's my (non-binding) +1
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Martyn

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC2)

clebertsuconic
> There was a base64.txt licence file previously that went away; is that

We are using the Base64 from here:
http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/java/base64/

Where he states you can license it anyway you wanted, for that we
removed the base64 license.

Do you see any issues with it?

Regarding the docs:

I guess the website doc wasn't updated with the release, only on the
distribution. We will update it before the final upload though.

I'm doing some work on that part now to convert everything to
Markdown. So even the PDF format will have the links fixed.

We will take a look at the licenses.. thanks again!

On 13/03/15 15:16, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> I downloaded the src+bin tar.gz files, and gave the src build a run
> through and kicked the tyres on the binary. The NPE from RC1 when
> using an AMQP client is now fixed. In the docs the links to the
> configuration index now work, and the table there now links to the
> .html files rather than the .md files.
>
> For the docs, the project-info page near the start is still 404's.
Thanks.

> Looking at some of the diff since RC1, I noticed that some JSON
> related source files had their 'JSON licence' restored to them. They
> should be mentioned in the distro LICENCE files as a result, either
> including the license or pointing to it in the tree.
Given that the activemq-core-client jar covers these source files it
it's LICENSE, am I correct in assuming there is no need to add this
again in the binary distribution? i.e. apache-activemq-6.0.0-bin i.e. we
should only  need to add this to the LICENSE file in the source
distribution?
> The
> activemq-core-client jar has the ASLv2 included twice in its
> META-INF/LICENCE file, likely due to the appended-resources file for
> adding the licence for the JSON bits.
Yes.  The build appears to append the license rather than overwrite as
we had thought.

> There was a base64.txt licence file previously that went away; is that
> code no longer included?
Clebert already replied to this.  But yes this is no longer included.

On 13 March 2015 at 15:30, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> There was a base64.txt licence file previously that went away; is that
> code no longer included?
>

> We are using the Base64 from here:
> http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/java/base64/
>

> Where he states you can license it anyway you wanted, for that we
> removed the base64 license.
>
> Do you see any issues with it?

He says you dont need to worry about matching it up to another
license, just use it as its public domain, but that he will license it
to you under any reasonable license if contacted to ask for that. He
does say do anything you want with it, which possibly includes simply
using it with a different licence by yourself but I'm not sure on that
at all, IANAL. Asking on legal@ (or seeing if somoene else previosuly
did) might be the way to go.

I would personally just call out the that files were released into
public domain, as per
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#can-works-placed-in-the-public-domain-be-included-in-apache-products.

> Regarding the docs:
>
> I guess the website doc wasn't updated with the release, only on the
> distribution. We will update it before the final upload though.

It was the distribution that I tried, I'll admit I hadn't even got as
far down the email to notice the link to the website thus far :)

On 13/03/15 15:59, Martyn Taylor wrote:

> On 13/03/15 15:16, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>> I downloaded the src+bin tar.gz files, and gave the src build a run
>> through and kicked the tyres on the binary. The NPE from RC1 when
>> using an AMQP client is now fixed. In the docs the links to the
>> configuration index now work, and the table there now links to the
>> .html files rather than the .md files.
>>
>> For the docs, the project-info page near the start is still 404's.
> Thanks.
>>
>> Looking at some of the diff since RC1, I noticed that some JSON
>> related source files had their 'JSON licence' restored to them. They
>> should be mentioned in the distro LICENCE files as a result, either
>> including the license or pointing to it in the tree.
> Given that the activemq-core-client jar covers these source files it
> it's LICENSE, am I correct in assuming there is no need to add this
> again in the binary distribution? i.e. apache-activemq-6.0.0-bin i.e.
> we should only  need to add this to the LICENSE file in the source
> distribution?
Nevermind... reading the documentation, it is implied that the license
will be needed in both places:
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep.  We'll update.
Thanks.

On 13 March 2015 at 15:59, Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/03/15 15:16, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>
>> I downloaded the src+bin tar.gz files, and gave the src build a run
>> through and kicked the tyres on the binary. The NPE from RC1 when
>> using an AMQP client is now fixed. In the docs the links to the
>> configuration index now work, and the table there now links to the
>> .html files rather than the .md files.
>>
>> For the docs, the project-info page near the start is still 404's.
>
> Thanks.
>>

>> Looking at some of the diff since RC1, I noticed that some JSON
>> related source files had their 'JSON licence' restored to them. They
>> should be mentioned in the distro LICENCE files as a result, either
>> including the license or pointing to it in the tree.
>
> Given that the activemq-core-client jar covers these source files it it's
> LICENSE, am I correct in assuming there is no need to add this again in the
> binary distribution? i.e. apache-activemq-6.0.0-bin i.e. we should only
> need to add this to the LICENSE file in the source distribution?

I think it needs to be there (anyone else know otherwise?), and I
would personally add it since the LICENSE file in the distribution
root ultimately lets people know what terms the various included bits
are under. The ones in the jars also need to be there because jars are
also distributions themselves and people can/do use them in isolation
(e.g from a maven repo).

On 13/03/15 16:15, Robbie Gemmell wrote:

> On 13 March 2015 at 15:59, Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 13/03/15 15:16, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>> I downloaded the src+bin tar.gz files, and gave the src build a run
>>> through and kicked the tyres on the binary. The NPE from RC1 when
>>> using an AMQP client is now fixed. In the docs the links to the
>>> configuration index now work, and the table there now links to the
>>> .html files rather than the .md files.
>>>
>>> For the docs, the project-info page near the start is still 404's.
>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Looking at some of the diff since RC1, I noticed that some JSON
>>> related source files had their 'JSON licence' restored to them. They
>>> should be mentioned in the distro LICENCE files as a result, either
>>> including the license or pointing to it in the tree.
>> Given that the activemq-core-client jar covers these source files it it's
>> LICENSE, am I correct in assuming there is no need to add this again in the
>> binary distribution? i.e. apache-activemq-6.0.0-bin i.e. we should only
>> need to add this to the LICENSE file in the source distribution?
> I think it needs to be there (anyone else know otherwise?), and I
> would personally add it since the LICENSE file in the distribution
> root ultimately lets people know what terms the various included bits
> are under. The ones in the jars also need to be there because jars are
> also distributions themselves and people can/do use them in isolation
> (e.g from a maven repo).
Thanks Robbie.  We'll include them in the source and binary distribution
(as well as the jars).

>>> The
>>> activemq-core-client jar has the ASLv2 included twice in its
>>> META-INF/LICENCE file, likely due to the appended-resources file for
>>> adding the licence for the JSON bits.
>> Yes.  The build appears to append the license rather than overwrite as we
>> had thought.
>>>
>>> There was a base64.txt licence file previously that went away; is that
>>> code no longer included?
>> Clebert already replied to this.  But yes this is no longer included.
>>
>>> Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC2)

The apache release process covers the artifacts in apache/dist[1]
The jars in maven are outside the process from what I understand and
as such they do not need a LICENSE or NOTICE file.

However, I see some value in putting them in there, but I also see a
potential downside, because it may suggest that they are 'released'
artifacts that have been voted on by a PMC, which will not be the
case. It may be a case of maven tech adoption going ahead of explicit
policy.
What is an apache release may indeed, in the future, extend to what is
in maven, and we will be ahead of the curve with the inclusion of
these two files :-)

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#where-do-releases-go

On 13 March 2015 at 16:15, Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13 March 2015 at 15:59, Martyn Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 13/03/15 15:16, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>>
>>> I downloaded the src+bin tar.gz files, and gave the src build a run
>>> through and kicked the tyres on the binary. The NPE from RC1 when
>>> using an AMQP client is now fixed. In the docs the links to the
>>> configuration index now work, and the table there now links to the
>>> .html files rather than the .md files.
>>>
>>> For the docs, the project-info page near the start is still 404's.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>>

>>> Looking at some of the diff since RC1, I noticed that some JSON
>>> related source files had their 'JSON licence' restored to them. They
>>> should be mentioned in the distro LICENCE files as a result, either
>>> including the license or pointing to it in the tree.
>>
>> Given that the activemq-core-client jar covers these source files it it's
>> LICENSE, am I correct in assuming there is no need to add this again in the
>> binary distribution? i.e. apache-activemq-6.0.0-bin i.e. we should only
>> need to add this to the LICENSE file in the source distribution?
>>>

> I think it needs to be there (anyone else know otherwise?), and I
> would personally add it since the LICENSE file in the distribution
> root ultimately lets people know what terms the various included bits
> are under. The ones in the jars also need to be there because jars are
> also distributions themselves and people can/do use them in isolation
> (e.g from a maven repo).
>
>>> The
>>> activemq-core-client jar has the ASLv2 included twice in its
>>> META-INF/LICENCE file, likely due to the appended-resources file for
>>> adding the licence for the JSON bits.
>>
>> Yes.  The build appears to append the license rather than overwrite as we
>> had thought.
>>>

>>> There was a base64.txt licence file previously that went away; is that
>>> code no longer included?
>>
>> Clebert already replied to this.  But yes this is no longer included.
>>

>>> Robbie

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC2)

Robbie Gemmell
The source archive and/or tag (depending on who you ask) is the
ultimate release at the end of the day. The binaries are only
conveniences, but as we do ship them are expected to be treated
similaly in terms of license/notice handling, and they often tend to
be treated as component parts of the release process as a result.
Certainly I would be surprisd to find anything in the releases area of
repository.apache.org that hadnt been voted on in some way, even
though only by proxy of the matching source artifact release.

The apache parent pom adds the tooling leading to creation of the
LICENCE and NOTICE files in the jar files. It has always been my
understanding they do need to be there, mainly a result of seeing
other projects pulled up on not having them.
http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq mentions:

Does the policy apply to binary/object files, such as executables or JAR files?

Yes. Even if there are no source files within the release, the LICENSE
file and NOTICE file are still both required within every ASF
distribution -- whether the unit of distribution is a .jar, .msi,
.tar/.?gz, .zip, .exe installer, or any other file format used for
distributions. For example, Windows .exe files must not be used as a
unit of distribution unless they are installers and include the
LICENSE and NOTICE files in their installation.

The interesting bit there would be deciding whether something (a .jar)
was not 'a unit of distribution' because it was included inside
something else that was (a tar.gz). Including the files seems
easier/safer :-)

Robbie

On 13 March 2015 at 17:09, Gary Tully <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The apache release process covers the artifacts in apache/dist[1]
> The jars in maven are outside the process from what I understand and
> as such they do not need a LICENSE or NOTICE file.
>
> However, I see some value in putting them in there, but I also see a
> potential downside, because it may suggest that they are 'released'
> artifacts that have been voted on by a PMC, which will not be the
> case. It may be a case of maven tech adoption going ahead of explicit
> policy.
> What is an apache release may indeed, in the future, extend to what is
> in maven, and we will be ahead of the curve with the inclusion of
> these two files :-)
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#where-do-releases-go
>
> On 13 March 2015 at 16:15, Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Thanks.

>>> Given that the activemq-core-client jar covers these source files it it's
>>> LICENSE, am I correct in assuming there is no need to add this again in the
>>> binary distribution? i.e. apache-activemq-6.0.0-bin i.e. we should only
>>> need to add this to the LICENSE file in the source distribution?
>>>>

>> I think it needs to be there (anyone else know otherwise?), and I
>> would personally add it since the LICENSE file in the distribution
>> root ultimately lets people know what terms the various included bits
>> are under. The ones in the jars also need to be there because jars are
>> also distributions themselves and people can/do use them in isolation
>> (e.g from a maven repo).

>>> Yes.  The build appears to append the license rather than overwrite as we
>>> had thought.

>>> Clebert already replied to this.  But yes this is no longer included.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC2)

I have sent a PR with updates to that page on the docs. It should be
easier to read it now.

I believe Martyn will take this update before the next cut:

https://github.com/clebertsuconic/activemq-6/blob/master/docs/user-manual/en/configuration-index.md

I even generated the docs into mobi, epub and PDF and they all look
much better and easier to understand.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>

>>> The release notes can be found here:
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12315920&version=12328953
>>>
>>> The binary distributions can be found here:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>>>
>>> The source archives can be found here:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/
>>>
>>> The Maven repository is here:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1037/
>>>
>>> The source tag:
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq-6.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/6.0.0
>>>
>>> The project website for that version has been staged to:
>>> http://people.apache.org/~martyntaylor/
>>>
>>> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0

[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0 (RC3)

Martyn Taylor
Hello all.

I've cut a third release candidate of Apache ActiveMQ 6.0.0, addressing
the RC2 feedback from community members.

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1038/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/6.0.0/