[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

Hadrian Zbarcea
Hi all,

I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues resolved
and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused on fixes
related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency and moving back
to using the original activemq console

Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote

The list of resolved issues is:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&version=12326455

You can get binary distributions here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/apache-
activemq/5.9.1/

Source archives are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/activemq-
parent/5.9.1

Maven2 repository is at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/

Source tag:
https://git-wip-
us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1

Please vote to approve this release

[ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1

Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

seijoed
Tested binary and console basic functionality.
+1 - Non binding.

On Apr 1, 2014, at 10:14 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
> I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues resolved
> and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused on fixes
> related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency and moving back
> to using the original activemq console
>
> Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote
>
> The list of resolved issues is:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&amp;version=12326455
>
> You can get binary distributions here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/apache-
> activemq/5.9.1/
>
> Source archives are here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/activemq-
> parent/5.9.1
>
> Maven2 repository is at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/
>
> Source tag:
> https://git-wip-
> us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
>

> Please vote to approve this release
>
> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
>
> Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

Łukasz Dywicki
I really appreciate this minor release. Last minor releases were caused by legal issues two years ago.

+1 (non binding)

Checked console and admin script.

Cheers,
Łukasz Dywicki
Twitter: ldywicki
Blog: http://dywicki.pl
Code-House - http://code-house.org

Wiadomość napisana przez Johan Edstrom <[hidden email]> w dniu 1 kwi 2014, o godz. 18:10:

> Tested binary and console basic functionality.
> +1 - Non binding.
>
> On Apr 1, 2014, at 10:14 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
>> I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues resolved
>> and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused on fixes
>> related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency and moving back
>> to using the original activemq console
>>
>> Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote
>>
>> The list of resolved issues is:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&amp;version=12326455
>>
>> You can get binary distributions here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/apache-
>> activemq/5.9.1/
>>
>> Source archives are here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/activemq-
>> parent/5.9.1
>>
>> Maven2 repository is at:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/
>>
>> Source tag:
>> https://git-wip-
>> us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
>>

>> Please vote to approve this release
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
>>
>> Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

ryan segura
Just to confirm -- the only bug fixes are those in the release notes?  It does not appear to be many

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

Hadrian Zbarcea
No, there's much more, I have to finish updating that. As I said in the vote
mail, I'll follow up with another email once that's done.

Hadrian

On Tuesday 01 April 2014 20:18:54 ryan segura wrote:

> Just to confirm -- the only bug fixes are those in the release notes?  It
> does not appear to be many

>  Nabble.com.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

dkulp

+1

Tested with CXF’s full test suite and everything worked fine.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

chirino
+1

Looks good to me.

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

Hadrian Zbarcea
The 5.9.1 release comes with 121 issues fixed.
The release notes page [1] is already updated to reflect that.

Hadrian

[1]

On Tuesday 01 April 2014 10:14:22 Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
> I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues
>  resolved and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused
>  on fixes related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency
>  and moving back to using the original activemq console
>
> Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote
>
> The list of resolved issues is:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&a
> mp;version=12326455
>
> You can get binary distributions here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/o
> rg/apache/activemq/apache- activemq/5.9.1/
>
> Source archives are here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/o
> rg/apache/activemq/activemq- parent/5.9.1
>
> Maven2 repository is at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/
>
> Source tag:
> https://git-wip-
> us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
>

> Please vote to approve this release
>
> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
>
> Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

ceposta
+1

--
Christian Posta
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

-0  with 100+ issues I think this warrants a minor release. It should be
5.10.0
On 1 Apr 2014 15:14, "Hadrian Zbarcea" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
> I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues
> resolved
> and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused on fixes
> related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency and moving
> back
> to using the original activemq console
>
> Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote
>
> The list of resolved issues is:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&amp;version=12326455
>
> You can get binary distributions here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/apache-
> activemq/5.9.1/
>
> Source archives are here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/activemq-
> parent/5.9.1
>
> Maven2 repository is at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/
>
> Source tag:
> https://git-wip-
> us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
>

> Please vote to approve this release
>
> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
>
> Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

dejanb
+1 - basic sanity check looks good. Although I agree that we should have
focused on 5.10 release, so we can push development forward.

Dejan Bosanac
----------------------
Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
[hidden email]
Twitter: @dejanb
Blog: http://sensatic.net

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Gary Tully <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -0  with 100+ issues I think this warrants a minor release. It should be
> 5.10.0
> On 1 Apr 2014 15:14, "Hadrian Zbarcea" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
> > I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues
> > resolved
> > and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused on fixes
> > related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency and moving
> > back
> > to using the original activemq console
> >
> > Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote
> >
> > The list of resolved issues is:
> >

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&amp;version=12326455
> >
> > You can get binary distributions here:
> >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/apache-
> > activemq/5.9.1/
> >
> > Source archives are here:
> >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/activemq-
> > parent/5.9.1
> >
> > Maven2 repository is at:
> >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/
> >
> > Source tag:
> > https://git-wip-
> > us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
> >

> > Please vote to approve this release
> >
> > [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
> > [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
> >
> > Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

Hadrian Zbarcea
Gary, I agree that we should focus on 5.10 and we are. We should focus on both
and keep patching our release. I am also not very happy about the 121 issues
fixed, but that to me means that this should have been a 5.9.2 or 5.9.3. In the
camel community for instance (which used to be an activemq subproject long
ago) we started issuing patch releases some 3 years ago and it went very well.
In activemq we used to do the same thing but stopped a while ago.

Thanks for testing this release,
Hadrian

On Thursday 03 April 2014 05:16:34 Gary Tully wrote:

> -0  with 100+ issues I think this warrants a minor release. It should be
> 5.10.0
>
> On 1 Apr 2014 15:14, "Hadrian Zbarcea" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
> > I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues
> > resolved
> > and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused on fixes
> > related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency and moving
> > back
> > to using the original activemq console
> >
> > Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote
> >
> > The list of resolved issues is:
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210
> >&amp;version=12326455
> >
> > You can get binary distributions here:
> >
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002
> >/org/apache/activemq/apache- activemq/5.9.1/
> >
> > Source archives are here:
> >
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002
> >/org/apache/activemq/activemq- parent/5.9.1
> >
> > Maven2 repository is at:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002
> >/
> >
> > Source tag:
> > https://git-wip-
> > us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
> >

> > Please vote to approve this release
> >
> > [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
> > [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
> >
> > Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

Gaurav Sharma
+1 tests clean so far

On Apr 3, 2014, at 3:58, Dejan Bosanac <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 - basic sanity check looks good. Although I agree that we should have
focused on 5.10 release, so we can push development forward.

Dejan Bosanac
----------------------
Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
[hidden email]
Twitter: @dejanb
Blog: http://sensatic.net

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Gary Tully <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> -0  with 100+ issues I think this warrants a minor release. It should be
> 5.10.0
>> On 1 Apr 2014 15:14, "Hadrian Zbarcea" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
>> I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues
>> resolved
>> and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused on fixes
>> related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency and moving
>> back
>> to using the original activemq console
>>
>> Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote
>>
>> The list of resolved issues is:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&amp;version=12326455
>>
>> You can get binary distributions here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/apache-
>> activemq/5.9.1/
>>
>> Source archives are here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/activemq-
>> parent/5.9.1
>>
>> Maven2 repository is at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/
>>
>> Source tag:
>> https://git-wip-
>> us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
>>

>> Please vote to approve this release
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
>>
>> Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

paulgale
Assuming semantic versioning is being followed for ActiveMQ's release
numbering then:

- If the release contains bug fixes AND new backwardly compatible
functionality then the release number cannot be 5.9.1. It MUST be 5.10.0
instead.
- If, however, the release contains ONLY bug fixes then the release number
must be 5.9.1.

The number of bugs that were fixed should not have any bearing on the
choice of release number. In other words don't jump to 5.9.2, bypassing
5.9.1, just because the release contains 120+ bug fixes.

Perhaps I've misunderstood things but that's what it seemed to me folks
were advocating.

Thanks,
Paul

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Dejan Bosanac <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 - basic sanity check looks good. Although I agree that we should have
> focused on 5.10 release, so we can push development forward.
>
> Regards
> --
> Dejan Bosanac
> ----------------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
> [hidden email]
> Twitter: @dejanb
> Blog: http://sensatic.net
>

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Gary Tully <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > -0  with 100+ issues I think this warrants a minor release. It should be
> > 5.10.0
> > On 1 Apr 2014 15:14, "Hadrian Zbarcea" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
> > > I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues
> > > resolved
> > > and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused on
> fixes
> > > related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency and
> moving
> > > back
> > > to using the original activemq console
> > >
> > > Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your
> vote
> > >
> > > The list of resolved issues is:
> > >

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&amp;version=12326455
> > >
> > > You can get binary distributions here:
> > >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/apache-
> > > activemq/5.9.1/
> > >
> > > Source archives are here:
> > >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/activemq-
> > > parent/5.9.1
> > >
> > > Maven2 repository is at:
> > >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/
> > >
> > > Source tag:
> > > https://git-wip-
> > >
> us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
> > >

> > > Please vote to approve this release
> > >
> > > [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
> > > [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
> > >
> > > Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

Hadrian Zbarcea
Yes, Paul, I think you misunderstood. My point was that we should have had a
few patch releases by now released at shorter intervals (say 2 mo) with a
fewer number of issues fixed per patch release (say 30-60).

I reviewed all the patches and they are backwards compatible and excluded
those that weren't. The choice of version number was not arbitrary.

Hadrian

On Thursday 03 April 2014 10:21:26 Paul Gale wrote:

> Assuming semantic versioning is being followed for ActiveMQ's release
> numbering then:
>
> - If the release contains bug fixes AND new backwardly compatible
> functionality then the release number cannot be 5.9.1. It MUST be 5.10.0
> instead.
> - If, however, the release contains ONLY bug fixes then the release number
> must be 5.9.1.
>
> The number of bugs that were fixed should not have any bearing on the
> choice of release number. In other words don't jump to 5.9.2, bypassing
> 5.9.1, just because the release contains 120+ bug fixes.
>
> Perhaps I've misunderstood things but that's what it seemed to me folks
> were advocating.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Dejan Bosanac <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > +1 - basic sanity check looks good. Although I agree that we should have
> > focused on 5.10 release, so we can push development forward.
> >
> > Regards
> > --
> > Dejan Bosanac
> > ----------------------
> > Red Hat, Inc.
> > FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
> > [hidden email]
> > Twitter: @dejanb
> > Blog: http://sensatic.net
> > ActiveMQ in Action: http://www.manning.com/snyder/
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Gary Tully <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > -0  with 100+ issues I think this warrants a minor release. It should
> > > be 5.10.0

> > fixes

> > moving

> > vote

> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210
> >&amp;version=12326455

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002
> >/org/apache/activemq/apache-

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002
> >/org/apache/activemq/activemq-

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002
> >/

> > us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

jgomes
+1

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
> I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues
> resolved
> and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused on fixes
> related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency and moving
> back
> to using the original activemq console
>
> Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote
>
> The list of resolved issues is:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&amp;version=12326455
>
> You can get binary distributions here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/apache-
> activemq/5.9.1/
>
> Source archives are here:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/org/apache/activemq/activemq-
> parent/5.9.1
>
> Maven2 repository is at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/
>
> Source tag:
> https://git-wip-
> us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
>

> Please vote to approve this release
>
> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
>
> Here's my +1

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

artnaseef
We already do not have semantic versioning.

Somewhere around 5.7 or 5.8, backward compatibility was broken with JMX MBean renaming.

There was another non-backward-compatible change that I found somewhere, but I don't recall where now.

It would be great to have semantic versioning, but one major problem here is that the 6.0 version is already in-use.

[RESULT][VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

Hadrian Zbarcea
The vote passes with:
[5] +1 (chirino, ceposta, dejan, jgomes, hadrian)
[5] +1 - non-binding (joed, luke, dkulp, gsharma, artnaseef)
[0] -1
[1] -0 (gtully)

I will proceed with publishing the artifacts today and make public
announcement of the release tomorrow, after the mirrors sync up.

Many thanks to all contributors,
Hadrian

On Tuesday 01 April 2014 10:14:22 Hadrian Zbarcea wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've cut a release candidate for the 5.9.1 patch release.
> I have to update JIRA today to determine the exact number of issues
>  resolved and follow up with another email. This patch release is focused
>  on fixes related to leveldb, a security update for the camel dependency
>  and moving back to using the original activemq console
>
> Please review the artifacts for this release candidate and cast your vote
>
> The list of resolved issues is:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&a
> mp;version=12326455
>
> You can get binary distributions here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/o
> rg/apache/activemq/apache- activemq/5.9.1/
>
> Source archives are here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/o
> rg/apache/activemq/activemq- parent/5.9.1
>
> Maven2 repository is at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1002/
>
> Source tag:
> https://git-wip-
> us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/activemq-5.9.1
>

> Please vote to approve this release
>
> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1
>
> Here's my +1

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.9.1 release

Hadrian Zbarcea
Looks like I'll need a bit of help from infra [1] to publish this release.
Worst case it'll be done at acna on Mon.

We should use the new svn based way of publishing releases. I will script that
too, as I did it for camel, to simplify publishing the distro. I
I'll update the release guide too next week.

Cheers,
Hadrian