[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

12

[VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

gtully
Hi folks,

I've just cut a third release candidate for the long-awaited 5.11.0 release.
This release has more than 120 bug fixes and improvements.

-note-
this candidate includes the fix for the 'reliably' broken test case from rc2
however there can be no expectation of a 'reliable' full test run from
mvn install.
I have raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5552 to address that.
I think a resolution to that issue would address all of the
disapproving commentary on the rc2 vote. If you voted -1 last time
round, please chime in on AMQ-5552.
-end note-

Could you please review the artifacts and vote?

The list of resolved issues is here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&version=12324951

You can get binary distributions here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.11.0/

Source archives are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/activemq-parent/5.11.0/

Maven2 repository is at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/

Source tag:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=66bd5da9405765ddbc950b4f1c5a6ef6195207e5

The vote will remain open for 72 hours.

[ ] +1  approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

Here's my +1

Regards,
Gary.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

Claus Ibsen
Hi

+1

Tested against Camel in Action source code also.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

jgomes
+1

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015, 10:34 PM Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> +1
>
> Tested against Camel in Action source code also.
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Gary Tully <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've just cut a third release candidate for the long-awaited 5.11.0
> release.
> > This release has more than 120 bug fixes and improvements.
> >
> > -note-
> > this candidate includes the fix for the 'reliably' broken test case from
> rc2
> > however there can be no expectation of a 'reliable' full test run from
> > mvn install.
> > I have raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5552 to address
> that.
> > I think a resolution to that issue would address all of the
> > disapproving commentary on the rc2 vote. If you voted -1 last time
> > round, please chime in on AMQ-5552.
> > -end note-
> >
> > Could you please review the artifacts and vote?
> >
> > The list of resolved issues is here:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
> projectId=12311210&version=12324951
> >
> > You can get binary distributions here:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.11.0/
> >
> > Source archives are here:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/activemq-parent/5.11.0/
> >
> > Maven2 repository is at:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1016/
> >
> > Source tag:
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=
> 66bd5da9405765ddbc950b4f1c5a6ef6195207e5
> >
> > The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
> >
> > [ ] +1  approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0
> > [ ] +0  no opinion
> > [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >

> > Here's my +1
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gary.
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> Email: [hidden email]
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com
> hawtio: http://hawt.io/
> fabric8 <http://hawt.io/fabric8>: http://fabric8.io/

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

Krzysztof Sobkowiak

+1 (non-binding)

Regards
Krzysztof

On 01/30/2015 09:00 AM, Gary Tully wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've just cut a third release candidate for the long-awaited 5.11.0 release.
> This release has more than 120 bug fixes and improvements.
>
> -note-
> this candidate includes the fix for the 'reliably' broken test case from rc2
> however there can be no expectation of a 'reliable' full test run from
> mvn install.
> I have raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5552 to address that.
> I think a resolution to that issue would address all of the
> disapproving commentary on the rc2 vote. If you voted -1 last time
> round, please chime in on AMQ-5552.
> -end note-
>
> Could you please review the artifacts and vote?
>
> The list of resolved issues is here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&version=12324951
>
> You can get binary distributions here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.11.0/
>
> Source archives are here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/activemq-parent/5.11.0/
>
> Maven2 repository is at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/
>
> Source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=66bd5da9405765ddbc950b4f1c5a6ef6195207e5
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1  approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0
> [ ] +0  no opinion
> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>

> Here's my +1
>
> Regards,
> Gary.

Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.
[hidden email] | www.redhat.com
skype: tabish121 | twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

dejanb
+1

Dejan Bosanac
----------------------
Red Hat, Inc.
[hidden email]
Twitter: @dejanb
Blog: http://sensatic.net

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 8:55 PM, Timothy Bish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>

> On 01/30/2015 09:00 AM, Gary Tully wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've just cut a third release candidate for the long-awaited 5.11.0
>> release.
>> This release has more than 120 bug fixes and improvements.
>>
>> -note-
>> this candidate includes the fix for the 'reliably' broken test case from
>> rc2
>> however there can be no expectation of a 'reliable' full test run from
>> mvn install.
>> I have raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5552 to address
>> that.
>> I think a resolution to that issue would address all of the
>> disapproving commentary on the rc2 vote. If you voted -1 last time
>> round, please chime in on AMQ-5552.
>> -end note-
>>
>> Could you please review the artifacts and vote?
>>
>> The list of resolved issues is here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
>> projectId=12311210&version=12324951
>>
>> You can get binary distributions here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
>> orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.11.0/
>>
>> Source archives are here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
>> orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/activemq-parent/5.11.0/
>>
>> Maven2 repository is at:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
>> orgapacheactivemq-1016/
>>
>> Source tag:
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=
>> 66bd5da9405765ddbc950b4f1c5a6ef6195207e5
>>
>> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1  approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0
>> [ ] +0  no opinion
>> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>>

>> Here's my +1
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gary.
>>

> --
> Tim Bish
> Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.
> [hidden email] | www.redhat.com
> skype: tabish121 | twitter: @tabish121
> blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

Robbie Gemmell
+1 (non-binding)

I gave a kick of the tyres to the broker binaries on linux, verified
the checksums+sigs, built the source release skipping the tests, did a
'quick' subset of the tests (Client, Broker, Stomp, MQTT, JDBC,
LevelDB, AMQP), and verified a dependent project using the build
output.

Robbie

On 30 January 2015 at 14:00, Gary Tully <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've just cut a third release candidate for the long-awaited 5.11.0 release.
> This release has more than 120 bug fixes and improvements.
>
> -note-
> this candidate includes the fix for the 'reliably' broken test case from rc2
> however there can be no expectation of a 'reliable' full test run from
> mvn install.
> I have raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5552 to address that.
> I think a resolution to that issue would address all of the
> disapproving commentary on the rc2 vote. If you voted -1 last time
> round, please chime in on AMQ-5552.
> -end note-
>
> Could you please review the artifacts and vote?
>
> The list of resolved issues is here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&version=12324951
>
> You can get binary distributions here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.11.0/
>
> Source archives are here:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/activemq-parent/5.11.0/
>
> Maven2 repository is at:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/
>
> Source tag:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=66bd5da9405765ddbc950b4f1c5a6ef6195207e5
>
> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1  approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0
> [ ] +0  no opinion
> [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
>

> Here's my +1
>
> Regards,
> Gary.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

chirino
+1

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

Hadrian Zbarcea
+1 (binding)

* Sigs ok
* Legal ok (almost)
   - a bunch of Copyright notices pointing to 2014 or 2013 (need to cleanup)
* Builds from source ok (almost)

There is one consistent failure in activemq-karaf-itest, however test
does pass when ran individually. No product defect, but should be addressed.
ActiveMQAMQPBrokerFeatureTest>ActiveMQBrokerFeatureTest.test:66->AbstractJmsFeatureTest.produceMessage:67->getConnection:53
» ClassNotFound

All in all, quite impressive. Very solid release, awesome work.

Thanks Gary,
Hadrian

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015, 8:11 AM Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> * Sigs ok
> * Legal ok (almost)
>    - a bunch of Copyright notices pointing to 2014 or 2013 (need to
> cleanup)
> * Builds from source ok (almost)
>
> There is one consistent failure in activemq-karaf-itest, however test
> does pass when ran individually. No product defect, but should be
> addressed.
> ActiveMQAMQPBrokerFeatureTest>ActiveMQBrokerFeatureTest.test:66->
> AbstractJmsFeatureTest.produceMessage:67->getConnection:53
> » ClassNotFound
>

> All in all, quite impressive. Very solid release, awesome work.
>
> Thanks Gary,
> Hadrian
>

> On 01/30/2015 09:00 AM, Gary Tully wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've just cut a third release candidate for the long-awaited 5.11.0
> release.
> > This release has more than 120 bug fixes and improvements.
> >
> > -note-
> > this candidate includes the fix for the 'reliably' broken test case from
> rc2
> > however there can be no expectation of a 'reliable' full test run from
> > mvn install.
> > I have raised https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5552 to address
> that.
> > I think a resolution to that issue would address all of the
> > disapproving commentary on the rc2 vote. If you voted -1 last time
> > round, please chime in on AMQ-5552.
> > -end note-
> >
> > Could you please review the artifacts and vote?
> >
> > The list of resolved issues is here:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
> projectId=12311210&version=12324951
> >
> > You can get binary distributions here:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.11.0/
> >
> > Source archives are here:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/activemq-parent/5.11.0/
> >
> > Maven2 repository is at:
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> orgapacheactivemq-1016/
> >
> > Source tag:
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=
> 66bd5da9405765ddbc950b4f1c5a6ef6195207e5
> >
> > The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
> >
> > [ ] +1  approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0
> > [ ] +0  no opinion
> > [ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)
> >

> > Here's my +1
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gary.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

rajdavies
+1

30 January 2015 14:00
[...]

Regards,
Gary.

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

dkulp
+1

Looks good.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

Claus Ibsen
Hi

Just wanted to say I have stumbled on a weird issue with the 5.11.0
release which I had trouble reproducing consistently.

The issue is subtle causing AMQ to continuously re-create dynamic
producer mbeans in the JMX tree. This is using a Camel spring app with
the AMQ connection pool.

Though just now I was able to see that 5.10.0 was stable and the
mbeans didnt re-create continusly, but with 5.11.0 that happens (with
no other change that switching from 5.10.0 to 5.11.0)

Though I think that issue could go unnoticed as the jmx tree looks
okay, but you may discover a flicker in jconsole when it redraws, and
then there is a little CPU time to create/destroy the mbeans.

I noticed this with hawtio as it also "flicker" when the jmx tree is
redrawn. And therefore was using hawtio to track down the issue.

I enabled a WARN logging when a mbean was registerede/unregistered and
you can see

WARN  | ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///127.0.0.1:56632@31316 | JMX
notification: javax.management.MBeanServerNotification[source=JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate][type=JMX.mbean.registered][message=][mbeanName=org.apache.activemq:type=Broker,brokerName=broker1,endpoint=dynamicProducer,clientId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-4_5,producerId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-5_6_1_8]
WARN  | ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///127.0.0.1:56633@31316 | JMX
notification: javax.management.MBeanServerNotification[source=JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate][type=JMX.mbean.registered][message=][mbeanName=org.apache.activemq:type=Broker,brokerName=broker1,endpoint=dynamicProducer,clientId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-4_6,producerId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-5_7_1_8]
WARN  | ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///127.0.0.1:56634@31316 | JMX
notification: javax.management.MBeanServerNotification[source=JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate][type=JMX.mbean.registered][message=][mbeanName=org.apache.activemq:type=Broker,brokerName=broker1,endpoint=dynamicProducer,clientId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-4_7,producerId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-5_8_1_8]
WARN  | ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///127.0.0.1:56626@31316 | JMX
notification: javax.management.MBeanServerNotification[source=JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate][type=JMX.mbean.registered][message=][mbeanName=org.apache.activemq:type=Broker,brokerName=broker1,endpoint=dynamicProducer,clientId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-4_8,producerId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-5_1_1_8]
WARN  | ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///127.0.0.1:56628@31316 | JMX
notification: javax.management.MBeanServerNotification[source=JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate][type=JMX.mbean.registered][message=][mbeanName=org.apache.activemq:type=Broker,brokerName=broker1,endpoint=dynamicProducer,clientId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-4_1,producerId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-5_2_11_8]
WARN  | ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///127.0.0.1:56629@31316 | JMX
notification: javax.management.MBeanServerNotification[source=JMImplementation:type=MBeanServerDelegate][type=JMX.mbean.registered][message=][mbeanName=org.apache.activemq:type=Broker,brokerName=broker1,endpoint=dynamicProducer,clientId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-4_2,producerId=ID_davsclaus.air-56625-1422981975940-5_3_1_9]

Just wanted to share this and say there is maybe a glitch in this release.

As I discovered this using hawtio, I created a branch with my current
work code that reproduces the issue.

https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/tree/amq511bug

The commit has instructions how to reproduce.
https://github.com/hawtio/hawtio/commit/9162529299059d25e1e6b7c7d7e0be45ee4556b4

As I was a hunt in the hay-stack I had to disable various stuff in the
hawtio spring xml file where we setup stuff we use for testing and
developing, hence the removal of the NOB, and some Camel routes and
whatnot.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

artnaseef
Hey Claus - can you try dumping the stack trace when the MBeans are created and removed to see the internal cause?  I'm thinking along the following lines:

    LOG.warn(..., new Exception())

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

claus, that looks like producers are not being cached - I thought the
culprit may be https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-4968 but that
would have made 5.10. In any event, can you set
useAnonymousProducers=false on your activemq pooled connection
factory.

On 3 February 2015 at 16:55, Claus Ibsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> -end note-
>>
>> Could you please review the artifacts and vote?
>>
>> The list of resolved issues is here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311210&version=12324951
>>
>> You can get binary distributions here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/apache-activemq/5.11.0/
>>
>> Source archives are here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/org/apache/activemq/activemq-parent/5.11.0/
>>
>> Maven2 repository is at:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheactivemq-1016/
>>
>> Source tag:
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=tag;h=66bd5da9405765ddbc950b4f1c5a6ef6195207e5
>>
>> The vote will remain open for 72 hours.
>>
>> [ ] +1  approve the release as Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0

I have done as Arthur suggested to dump the stacktrace, and also with
Gary's turn on|off the anonoymous producers.

I posted output from console as 2 gists

https://gist.github.com/davsclaus/b5fbb1287d383107e599

https://gist.github.com/davsclaus/0472ed0ab85ec5af9e79

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

Claus Ibsen
Hi

Just upgraded Camel master branch to 5.11.0 and you can reproduce the
issue there also

cd examples/camel-example-management
mvn clean install camel:run

Connect to the JVM using jconsole.

Notice the AcitveMQ tree under dynamic producers keeps adding new
mbeans, until your JVM runs out of memory.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

Claus Ibsen
Hi

I logged a ticket about this. Not sure what the title it, but I
suspect its related to the activemq-pool.

I found an easier way of reproducing it using the camel-example-management.

Just change the AMQ version in its pom.xml

    <properties>
        <camel.osgi.export.pkg>org.apache.camel.example.management.*</camel.osgi.export.pkg>
        <camel.osgi.import.additional>org.apache.activemq.xbean,org.apache.activemq.broker,org.apache.activemq.pool</camel.osgi.import.additional>
      <!--<activemq-version>5.10.0</activemq-version>-->
      <!--<activemq-version>5.10.1</activemq-version>-->
      <activemq-version>5.11.0</activemq-version>
    </properties>

I attached screenshot of 5.10.0 working and 5.10.1 and 5.11.0 failing.
So as the issue is introduced in 5.10.1 that narrows down what code
change caused this, as it must be a commit in that patch branch.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------
hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

jbonofre
+1 (non binding)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Apache ActiveMQ 5.11.0 (rc3)

Claus Ibsen
Hi

Okay I have narrowed it down to the git commit that caused this issue.
I posted that in the ticket.

It its due this ticket:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-5015

--
Claus Ibsen