Use message selectors against messages on disk

Use message selectors against messages on disk

Benjamin Jansen
Hello,

In ActiveMQ 5.x (I have tried 5.6.0 and 5.9.1), is it possible to use JMS message selectors against in-flight messages that have been put on disk? Based on my experimentation, it appears not, but I wanted to double-check, since I've found conflicting information on the Web.

A comment on a blog post describing this behavior, claims that it has been fixed: http://bit.ly/1sJpdw4

OTOH, this issue seems to indicate that it will never be fixed in AMQ: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-2217

Thanks for any insight.

- Ben Jansen

Re: Use message selectors against messages on disk

chirino
Using selector should work regardless if the message is on disk or in
memory.. If it's not then it's a bug.  Do you have a test case showing
it's broken?

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

On 05/13/2014 12:28 PM, Benjamin Jansen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In ActiveMQ 5.x (I have tried 5.6.0 and 5.9.1), is it possible to use JMS message selectors against in-flight messages that have been put on disk? Based on my experimentation, it appears not, but I wanted to double-check, since I've found conflicting information on the Web.
>
> A comment on a blog post describing this behavior, claims that it has been fixed: http://bit.ly/1sJpdw4
>
> OTOH, this issue seems to indicate that it will never be fixed in AMQ: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-2217
>
> Thanks for any insight.
>
> - Ben Jansen

You can only use a selector against those messages that are paged in, so
if you can tolerate greater memory usage you can increase the max page
size for that destination in order to have more in memory messages.

http://activemq.apache.org/per-destination-policies.html

Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.
[hidden email] | www.fusesource.com | www.redhat.com
skype: tabish121 | twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: Use message selectors against messages on disk

ceposta
Message selectors are applied to messages cached in memory, not on disk.

--
Christian Posta
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: Use message selectors against messages on disk

Tom_Z
Hi Christian, Hi Tim,

ceposta wrote
Message selectors are applied to messages cached in memory, not on disk.
Does this also apply to the JMSXMessageGroupID which has some special meaning and therefore handling?

If a client consumes messages of a dedicated group, the broker will only dispatch those paged in in memory? Does the broker take care of paging in the next messages of this group if there are any as long as the client is connected? Or is a scenario possible where the client does not get more messages and then disconnects leaving messages for this group on disk?

Thanks,
Tom