Upgrade from 5.5.1 to 5.9

aissa
Hi, I am working with AMQ 5.5.1 and want to upgrade to 5.9 What is the procedure?

Re: Upgrade from 5.5.1 to 5.9

artnaseef
The procedure is:

* Shutdown 5.5.1 broker
* Startup 5.9 broker

If the AMQ persistence adapter was being used, then it will be necessary to migrate to KahaDB or LevelDB.  In that case:

* Drain messages from 5.5.1 broker
* Shutdown 5.5.1 broker
* Startup 5.9 broker

Draining messages is best done by the applications using ActiveMQ, if feasible.

Re: Upgrade from 5.5.1 to 5.9

zmhassan
I think you might be interested in knowing how to drain messages. I learned
a helpful way to do it via JMX you can call the *purge()* method on the
QueueViewMBean. It should delete all messages in the queue for you. Not
sure if that is available in the version of activemq your using. To get
access to JMX you can use jconsole. Another option could also be to use the
activemq-admin which should let you purge. Here is a helpful link for more
details. Hope it helps:

http://fusesource.com/docs/broker/5.5/admin_guide/activemq-admin_purge.html

Hope it helps

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 2:24 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The procedure is:
>
> * Shutdown 5.5.1 broker
> * Startup 5.9 broker
>
> If the AMQ persistence adapter was being used, then it will be necessary to
> migrate to KahaDB or LevelDB.  In that case:
>
> * Drain messages from 5.5.1 broker
> * Shutdown 5.5.1 broker
> * Startup 5.9 broker
>
> Draining messages is best done by the applications using ActiveMQ, if
> feasible.

Re: Upgrade from 5.5.1 to 5.9

artnaseef
That's a good point on purging destinations.

Let me clarify my intent.  By "drain messages," I was referring to processing them off the broker - not deleting them.  If they can safely be deleted, there's nothing to do really (except clean-up after the old broker is shutdown, like wiping the KahaDB).

Re: Upgrade from 5.5.1 to 5.9

zmhassan
Sorry. I miss understood what drain messages meant. Please disregard my
previous comment about the purge() function.

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 6:44 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's a good point on purging destinations.
>
> Let me clarify my intent.  By "drain messages," I was referring to
> processing them off the broker - not deleting them.  If they can safely be
> deleted, there's nothing to do really (except clean-up after the old broker
> is shutdown, like wiping the KahaDB).

Re: Upgrade from 5.5.1 to 5.9

aissa
we are using the AMQ in one of our products for delivering jms messages. how do i do the upgrade when the AMQ is already integrated into my product? just to replace the message-broker folder by the new one and thats it ?

Re: Upgrade from 5.5.1 to 5.9

artnaseef
You should have no problem doing an in-place update with the same config files. Some defaults may have changed, and some settings may have changed, so try it and test well.

Note the old AMQ store was removed in 5.9, IIRC.

-art

Sent from my iPhone

On May 4, 2014, at 12:39 AM, "aissa [via ActiveMQ]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

we are using the AMQ in one of our products for delivering jms messages. how do i do the upgrade when the AMQ is already integrated into my product? just to replace the message-broker folder by the new one and thats it ?

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Upgrade-from-5-5-1-to-5-9-tp4680777p4680835.html
To start a new topic under ActiveMQ - Dev, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from ActiveMQ - Dev, click here.
NAML