Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException

Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException

dkfn
Hi all,

I keep getting the following exception at what appear to be random intervals:

2007-03-05 14:42:40,367 INFO [ActiveMQ Transport: tcp://localhost/1
27.0.0.1:51515] FailoverTransport.handleTransportFailure | Transport failed, att
empting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException
java.io.EOFException
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:358)
        at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.unmarshal(OpenWireFormat.
java:267)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.readCommand(TcpTranspo
rt.java:156)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:
136)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Any ideas? It doesn't appear to be affecting the messaging...

I'm using:

ActiveMQ 4.1.0 and a broker url of: tcp://localhost:61616

activemq.conf is the standard one out of the 4.1 distro.

cheers,
j.

Re: Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException

James Strachan-2
On 3/5/07, Jamie McCrindle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I keep getting the following exception at what appear to be random intervals:
>
> 2007-03-05 14:42:40,367 INFO [ActiveMQ Transport: tcp://localhost/1
> 27.0.0.1:51515] FailoverTransport.handleTransportFailure | Transport failed, att
> empting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException
> java.io.EOFException
>         at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:358)
>         at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.unmarshal(OpenWireFormat.
> java:267)
>         at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.readCommand(TcpTranspo
> rt.java:156)
>         at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:
> 136)
>
> Any ideas? It doesn't appear to be affecting the messaging...
>
> I'm using:
>
> ActiveMQ 4.1.0 and a broker url of: tcp://localhost:61616
>
> activemq.conf is the standard one out of the 4.1 distro.

It typically just means that the socket has closed while the async
reading thread is trying to read from the socket. It can generally be
ignored. If you were using a URL of failover:tcp://localhost:61616
then the transport would automatically reconnect under the covers for
you. If you're not using failover then maybe you're closing
connections?

--

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException

dkfn
Thanks James,

I moved away from failover:tcp://localhost:61616 for reasons that now
completely escape me. I'll put that back in and see the problem goes
away.

cheers,
j.

On 3/5/07, James Strachan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/5/07, Jamie McCrindle <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I keep getting the following exception at what appear to be random intervals:
> >
> > 2007-03-05 14:42:40,367 INFO [ActiveMQ Transport: tcp://localhost/1
> > 27.0.0.1:51515] FailoverTransport.handleTransportFailure | Transport failed, att
> > empting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException
> > java.io.EOFException
> >         at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:358)
> >         at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.unmarshal(OpenWireFormat.
> > java:267)
> >         at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.readCommand(TcpTranspo
> > rt.java:156)
> >         at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:
> > 136)
> >         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
> >
> > Any ideas? It doesn't appear to be affecting the messaging...
> >
> > I'm using:
> >
> > ActiveMQ 4.1.0 and a broker url of: tcp://localhost:61616
> >
> > activemq.conf is the standard one out of the 4.1 distro.
>
> It typically just means that the socket has closed while the async
> reading thread is trying to read from the socket. It can generally be
> ignored. If you were using a URL of failover:tcp://localhost:61616
> then the transport would automatically reconnect under the covers for
> you. If you're not using failover then maybe you're closing
> connections?
>
> --
>
> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException

DavidR
James,
We have a similar issue under different circumstances.
When we bounce our server which is using spring 2 to produce and consume messages on a failover queue, we sometimes get a runaway log file due to the process not shutting down correctly within tomcat.
We then get within seconds, mb's of log saying:

org.apache.activemq.transport.failover.FailoverTransport - Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.IOException
java.io.IOException
        at org.apache.activemq.util.IOExceptionSupport.create(IOExceptionSupport.java:37)
        at org.apache.activemq.state.ConnectionStateTracker.track(ConnectionStateTracker.java:94)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.failover.FailoverTransport.oneway(FailoverTransport.java:383)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.MutexTransport.oneway(MutexTransport.java:43)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.ResponseCorrelator.asyncRequest(ResponseCorrelator.java:69)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.ResponseCorrelator.request(ResponseCorrelator.java:74)
        at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnection.syncSendPacket(ActiveMQConnection.java:1171)
        at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQSession.syncSendPacket(ActiveMQSession.java:1660)
        at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQMessageConsumer.close(ActiveMQMessageConsumer.java:541)
        at org.springframework.jms.support.JmsUtils.closeMessageConsumer(JmsUtils.java:144)
        at org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer$AsyncMessageListenerInvoker.clearResources(DefaultMessageListenerContainer.java:899)
        at org.springframework.jms.listener.DefaultMessageListenerContainer$AsyncMessageListenerInvoker.run(DefaultMessageListenerContainer.java:865)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

dkfn wrote

On 3/5/07, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/5/07, Jamie McCrindle <jamiemccrindle@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I keep getting the following exception at what appear to be random intervals:
> >
> > 2007-03-05 14:42:40,367 INFO [ActiveMQ Transport: tcp://localhost/1
> > 27.0.0.1:51515] FailoverTransport.handleTransportFailure | Transport failed, att
> > empting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException
> > java.io.EOFException
> >         at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:358)
> >         at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.unmarshal(OpenWireFormat.
> > java:267)
> >         at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.readCommand(TcpTranspo
> > rt.java:156)
> >         at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:
> > 136)
> >         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
> >
> > Any ideas? It doesn't appear to be affecting the messaging...
> >
> > I'm using:
> >
> > ActiveMQ 4.1.0 and a broker url of: tcp://localhost:61616
> >
> > activemq.conf is the standard one out of the 4.1 distro.
>
> It typically just means that the socket has closed while the async
> reading thread is trying to read from the socket. It can generally be
> ignored. If you were using a URL of failover:tcp://localhost:61616
> then the transport would automatically reconnect under the covers for
> you. If you're not using failover then maybe you're closing
> connections?
>
> --
>
> James
> -------
> http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException

xbranko
We are using the failover transport, but still are getting the same exception, but in a different place (see stack trace):

org.apache.activemq.transport.failover.FailoverTransport Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException
java.io.EOFException
        at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:358)
        at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.unmarshal(OpenWireFormat.java:267)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.readCommand(TcpTransport.java:156)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:136)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

It happens after the message has been sent successfully, and the producer, session and connection are closed (in that order).

What should one do to prevent it?
Thanks,
Branko

Re: Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException

akpuvvada
We are also facing the same issue.
I have two Active MQ Brokers on different machine configured as configured as Master/Slave using shared store.
We are suing the current release version.
  Transport (tcp://localhost:61616) failed , attempting to automatically reconnect: java.io.EOFException

Re: Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException

Tim Bain
Are you using the inactivity monitor on the connection?

akpuvvada
I have not configured any inactivity monitoring. How can I check if any exists by default?

Re: Transport failed, attempting to automatically reconnect due to: java.io.EOFException

Tim Bain
Details of the inactivity monitor are at
http://activemq.apache.org/activemq-inactivitymonitor.html. It's on by
default, so if you haven't modified any settings related to it, it should
be working correctly.

An EOFException typically means that something closed the TCP connection.
Often it's the program on the other end (if you're seeing this in the
client, then the broker may have closed it, or vice versa), so check that
program's logs to see if they tell you anything. It can also happen because
the other process was hard-killed (kill -9), or because a firewall between
the broker and the client killed the connection, or probably other things
as well.

If it happens infrequently and your clients reconnect to the broker and
resume processing without incident, then you can safely ignore it if you
want. If you don't want to ignore it and you want to dig into what's going
on, I'd start with both logs (client and broker), and if you can't see
anything in them then I'd probably try using WireShark to figure out what's
going on at the TCP layer and then go from there.

Tim