Total consumer count negative

osatien
When can the total consumer count be negative? We are using this metric to
know how many people is connected.

We are getting this metric from the jmx perhaps a problem with the query in
check jmx eval?

Re: Total consumer count negative

christopher.l.shannon
The count shouldn't be negative so this might be a bug.  The broker keeps
track of the consumer count using a counter and the counter should be
incremented on a new subscription and decremented when a subscription is
removed.  So if there are no consumers the count should be 0, not negative.

What version of ActiveMQ are you using?  If it is older than 5.11.1 you
could try a newer version to see if that helps.  Would you be able to put
together a test case to reproduce this issue?

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM, ALi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When can the total consumer count be negative? We are using this metric to
> know how many people is connected.
>
> We are getting this metric from the jmx perhaps a problem with the query in
> check jmx eval?

Re: Total consumer count negative

osatien
It is 5.8.0. As it was working ok we didn't want to update it. The new
version 5.10 had problems with stomp and websocket. We need to test this
new version to see if it works and if it doesn't have any problems with it.
And we don't know if it worths the update. But as we are having this
incident we need to think about it.
El 09/06/2015 01:33, "Christopher Shannon" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> The count shouldn't be negative so this might be a bug.  The broker keeps
> track of the consumer count using a counter and the counter should be
> incremented on a new subscription and decremented when a subscription is
> removed.  So if there are no consumers the count should be 0, not negative.
>
> What version of ActiveMQ are you using?  If it is older than 5.11.1 you
> could try a newer version to see if that helps.  Would you be able to put
> together a test case to reproduce this issue?
>
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM, ALi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > When can the total consumer count be negative? We are using this metric
> > know how many people is connected.
> >
> > We are getting this metric from the jmx perhaps a problem with the query
> in
> > check jmx eval?

Re: Total consumer count negative

Tim Bain
Does this happens reliably and quickly for you?  Can you force it to happen
by taking a certain series of actions?
On Jun 8, 2015 11:45 PM, "ALi" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is 5.8.0. As it was working ok we didn't want to update it. The new
> version 5.10 had problems with stomp and websocket. We need to test this
> new version to see if it works and if it doesn't have any problems with it.
> And we don't know if it worths the update. But as we are having this
> incident we need to think about it.
> El 09/06/2015 01:33, "Christopher Shannon" <
> [hidden email]>
> escribió:
>
> > The count shouldn't be negative so this might be a bug.  The broker keeps
> > track of the consumer count using a counter and the counter should be
> > incremented on a new subscription and decremented when a subscription is
> > removed.  So if there are no consumers the count should be 0, not
> negative.
> >
> > What version of ActiveMQ are you using?  If it is older than 5.11.1 you
> > could try a newer version to see if that helps.  Would you be able to put
> > together a test case to reproduce this issue?
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM, ALi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > When can the total consumer count be negative? We are using this metric
> > > know how many people is connected.
> > >
> > > We are getting this metric from the jmx perhaps a problem with the
> query
> > in
> > > check jmx eval?

Re: Total consumer count negative

osatien
no .... it has happen only once ... and after working a year without any
problem. so it is a bit difficult to reproduce. we will continue monitoring
the metric but without an alert.

thank you tim

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Tim Bain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does this happens reliably and quickly for you?  Can you force it to happen
> by taking a certain series of actions?
> On Jun 8, 2015 11:45 PM, "ALi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It is 5.8.0. As it was working ok we didn't want to update it. The new
> > version 5.10 had problems with stomp and websocket. We need to test this
> > new version to see if it works and if it doesn't have any problems with
> it.
> > And we don't know if it worths the update. But as we are having this
> > incident we need to think about it.
> > El 09/06/2015 01:33, "Christopher Shannon" <
> > [hidden email]>
> > escribió:
> >
> > > The count shouldn't be negative so this might be a bug.  The broker
> keeps
> > > track of the consumer count using a counter and the counter should be
> > > incremented on a new subscription and decremented when a subscription
> is
> > > removed.  So if there are no consumers the count should be 0, not
> > negative.
> > >
> > > What version of ActiveMQ are you using?  If it is older than 5.11.1 you
> > > could try a newer version to see if that helps.  Would you be able to
> put
> > > together a test case to reproduce this issue?

> metric

> > query
> > > in

Re: Total consumer count negative

christopher.l.shannon
I've been doing a lot of work with the metrics and monitoring of the broker
recently so if this happens again in the future and you are able to find a
way to reproduce it I'd be happy to take a look at it.

-Chris

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 5:12 AM, ALi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> no .... it has happen only once ... and after working a year without any
> problem. so it is a bit difficult to reproduce. we will continue monitoring
> the metric but without an alert.
>
> thank you tim
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Tim Bain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Does this happens reliably and quickly for you?  Can you force it to
> happen
> > by taking a certain series of actions?
> > On Jun 8, 2015 11:45 PM, "ALi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > It is 5.8.0. As it was working ok we didn't want to update it. The new
> > > version 5.10 had problems with stomp and websocket. We need to test
> this
> > > new version to see if it works and if it doesn't have any problems with
> > it.
> > > And we don't know if it worths the update. But as we are having this
> > > incident we need to think about it.
> > > El 09/06/2015 01:33, "Christopher Shannon" <
> > > [hidden email]>

> > keeps
> > is
> > > negative.

> you
> > put

> > metric

> > > query

Re: Total consumer count negative

Tim Bain
Can you submit a bug in JIRA for this?  If nothing else, it may prompt a
developer who's got some time to go through all the places that counter is
updated and see if there are any code paths that could result in this
behavior.  Make sure you describe whatever might have happened between the
last time it was known to be good and when it was seen to be bad, as well
as any errors in the logs between those times.