Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

12

Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Bruce Snyder
Several opinions have been expressed recently that the ActiveMQ website
needs some attention and that Artemis should be made more prominent. I'd
like to discuss some ideas to see what we could achieve on this topic.

If we are going to make Artemis more prominent, the first concern I
identified is that the ActiveMQ website and the Artemis website are
authored differently. The ActiveMQ website is authored in the Confluence
wiki and exported to HTML automagically whereas the Artemis website is
authored in raw HTML. As a result, the two sites have a very different look
and feel to them. This presents some challenges to using the content
between the two.

But this presents other questions -- do we want the two sites to look
similar or different? When someone looks at Artemis content, do we want the
user to immediately know that they are looking at ActiveMQ content vs.
Artemis based content solely due to the look and feel of the site? Should
there even be two different sites?

I would prefer to have the site authored in a language that is easier to
write than HTML (such as Markdown). I would also like the files comprising
the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved using
Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown to
put in git. I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to Markdown
and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
set of issues?

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

MichaelAndrePearce
Hi Bruce,

As per the other mail thread, I'd like to put my hand up to this effort.

I agree with comments around the site needing to live in GitHub so a more PR style and contribution approach can be had.

Likewise +1 re markdown (or similar) , there will need to be some HTML obviously but large amounts of content should be in a markdown or simple editorial form.

My personal feelings (but not strongly opinionated) it should be a single site but separate clear sections for:

ActiveMQ 5.x (I think during the big discussion on the vote someone called it "Classic" I quite liked that nice way to call it)
ActiveMQ Artemis
CMS
NMS.

I think the site needs to reflect the new logo (colours and style) and it be great to have its designer on board   (looks at Martyn Taylor)

Is it maybe worth setting up a GitHub repo with the current content exported from confluence, even if it's in html for now, that way either we can find a tool to convert it or at least we can share the manual burden of handling it.

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPad

> On 7 Dec 2017, at 04:20, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Several opinions have been expressed recently that the ActiveMQ website
> needs some attention and that Artemis should be made more prominent. I'd
> like to discuss some ideas to see what we could achieve on this topic.
>
> If we are going to make Artemis more prominent, the first concern I
> identified is that the ActiveMQ website and the Artemis website are
> authored differently. The ActiveMQ website is authored in the Confluence
> wiki and exported to HTML automagically whereas the Artemis website is
> authored in raw HTML. As a result, the two sites have a very different look
> and feel to them. This presents some challenges to using the content
> between the two.
>
> But this presents other questions -- do we want the two sites to look
> similar or different? When someone looks at Artemis content, do we want the
> user to immediately know that they are looking at ActiveMQ content vs.
> Artemis based content solely due to the look and feel of the site? Should
> there even be two different sites?
>
> I would prefer to have the site authored in a language that is easier to
> write than HTML (such as Markdown). I would also like the files comprising
> the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
> means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved using
> Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown to
> put in git. I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to Markdown
> and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
> set of issues?
>
> Bruce
>
> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Martyn Taylor
Thanks for starting this thread.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Several opinions have been expressed recently that the ActiveMQ website
> needs some attention and that Artemis should be made more prominent. I'd
> like to discuss some ideas to see what we could achieve on this topic.
>
> If we are going to make Artemis more prominent, the first concern I
> identified is that the ActiveMQ website and the Artemis website are
> authored differently. The ActiveMQ website is authored in the Confluence
> wiki and exported to HTML automagically whereas the Artemis website is
> authored in raw HTML. As a result, the two sites have a very different look
> and feel to them. This presents some challenges to using the content
> between the two.
>
> But this presents other questions -- do we want the two sites to look
> similar or different?

I would prefer the site to have a consistent look and feel.

> When someone looks at Artemis content, do we want the
> user to immediately know that they are looking at ActiveMQ content vs.
> Artemis based content solely due to the look and feel of the site

Should
> there even be two different sites?

I think we need to direct users to a single place for all things ActiveMQ,
Artemis being part of that.  And have a clear message on the home page
about the projects and how things are related.  We could then offer links
to Artemis, ActiveMQ or NMS client etc..

> I would prefer to have the site authored in a language that is easier to
> write than HTML (such as Markdown). I would also like the files comprising
> the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
> means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved using
> Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown to
> put in git.

Don't care too much about the specific technologies used, but it would be
good to have this managed in Git so we can follow workflows used for other
projects.

> I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to Markdown
> and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
> set of issues?

I'm happy to get involved and do some of the work here.

The current website is almost embarrassing, let's get it fixed up :)

> Bruce
>
> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Matt Pavlovich-2
If we can settle on a target format, I'd be up for dedicating time for a
hack-a-thon to just blaze through it. While painful, I believe we could
get it done quickly.

On 12/6/17 10:20 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> Several opinions have been expressed recently that the ActiveMQ website
> needs some attention and that Artemis should be made more prominent. I'd
> like to discuss some ideas to see what we could achieve on this topic.
>
> If we are going to make Artemis more prominent, the first concern I
> identified is that the ActiveMQ website and the Artemis website are
> authored differently. The ActiveMQ website is authored in the Confluence
> wiki and exported to HTML automagically whereas the Artemis website is
> authored in raw HTML. As a result, the two sites have a very different look
> and feel to them. This presents some challenges to using the content
> between the two.
>
> But this presents other questions -- do we want the two sites to look
> similar or different? When someone looks at Artemis content, do we want the
> user to immediately know that they are looking at ActiveMQ content vs.
> Artemis based content solely due to the look and feel of the site? Should
> there even be two different sites?
>
> I would prefer to have the site authored in a language that is easier to
> write than HTML (such as Markdown). I would also like the files comprising
> the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
> means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved using
> Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown to
> put in git. I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to Markdown
> and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
> set of issues?
>
> Bruce

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Bruce Snyder
I have poked through some of the exported HTML pages from Confluence and
there is so much cruft in there. E.g., large amounts of content wrapped in
tables -- blech! I've also experimented with the text2html Python script
and it does not convert these HTML files to Markdown very well, even if I
skip tables. If we were to resort to hacking the HTML by hand to convert to
Markdown, this is a *tremendous* amount of work. I grabbed the HTML, got
rid of the duplicates that I saw and I still have 1600+ files.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

+1

I like the Markdown (or whatever easy format.. non xml based). We will
need to choose a framework for that. do you have anything in mind?

I also think we should have a consistent look and feel.

I will be supportive on this...

First thing will be to have a framework chosen..
Second to have a github we collaborate...
Third.. maybe we could use one of those video calls to talk about how to do it.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Several opinions have been expressed recently that the ActiveMQ website
> needs some attention and that Artemis should be made more prominent. I'd
> like to discuss some ideas to see what we could achieve on this topic.
>
> If we are going to make Artemis more prominent, the first concern I
> identified is that the ActiveMQ website and the Artemis website are
> authored differently. The ActiveMQ website is authored in the Confluence
> wiki and exported to HTML automagically whereas the Artemis website is
> authored in raw HTML. As a result, the two sites have a very different look
> and feel to them. This presents some challenges to using the content
> between the two.
>
> But this presents other questions -- do we want the two sites to look
> similar or different? When someone looks at Artemis content, do we want the
> user to immediately know that they are looking at ActiveMQ content vs.
> Artemis based content solely due to the look and feel of the site? Should
> there even be two different sites?
>
> I would prefer to have the site authored in a language that is easier to
> write than HTML (such as Markdown). I would also like the files comprising
> the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
> means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved using
> Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown to
> put in git. I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to Markdown
> and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
>
> Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
> set of issues?
>
> Bruce
>
> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

christopher.l.shannon
I agree that Markdown would be a good idea if we can figure out a good way
to convert it.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>
> I like the Markdown (or whatever easy format.. non xml based). We will
> need to choose a framework for that. do you have anything in mind?
>
> I also think we should have a consistent look and feel.
>

> I will be supportive on this...
>

> First thing will be to have a framework chosen..
> Second to have a github we collaborate...
> Third.. maybe we could use one of those video calls to talk about how to
> do it.
>
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Several opinions have been expressed recently that the ActiveMQ website
> > needs some attention and that Artemis should be made more prominent. I'd
> > like to discuss some ideas to see what we could achieve on this topic.
> >
> > If we are going to make Artemis more prominent, the first concern I
> > identified is that the ActiveMQ website and the Artemis website are
> > authored differently. The ActiveMQ website is authored in the Confluence
> > wiki and exported to HTML automagically whereas the Artemis website is
> > authored in raw HTML. As a result, the two sites have a very different
> look
> > and feel to them. This presents some challenges to using the content
> > between the two.
> >
> > But this presents other questions -- do we want the two sites to look
> > similar or different? When someone looks at Artemis content, do we want
> the
> > user to immediately know that they are looking at ActiveMQ content vs.
> > Artemis based content solely due to the look and feel of the site? Should
> > there even be two different sites?
> >
> > I would prefer to have the site authored in a language that is easier to
> > write than HTML (such as Markdown). I would also like the files
> comprising
> > the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
> > means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved
> using
> > Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown
> > put in git. I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to
> Markdown
> > and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
> >
> > Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
> > set of issues?
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> > --
> > perl -e 'print
> > unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
> >
> > ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
> > Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

> Clebert Suconic

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Martyn Taylor
Bruce, could you take what you have and put it up somewhere, perhaps in Git
so we can take a look?  Cheers.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
> >> means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved
> using
> >> Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown
> >> put in git. I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to
> >> Markdown
> >> and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
> >>
> >> Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this
> thorny
> >> set of issues?
> >>
> >> Bruce
> >>

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

+1 on Matt’s idea, maybe we get a base website design and some sample pages migrated, and agreed on with this group first.

Is it worth maybe having a virtual meetup to discuss the design etc (maybe some form of webex or Skype call?) to try work to some sample? What time zone Matt and Bruce are you in?

then we could do his hackathon idea to get through the cruft manually, 1600+ some of that must be out dated or irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>> write than HTML (such as Markdown). I would also like the files comprising
>>> the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
>>> means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved using
>>> Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown
>>> put in git. I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to
>>> Markdown
>>> and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
>>>
>>> Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
>>> set of issues?
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

I would prefer to use Markdown with the Jekyll framework (
https://jekyllrb.com/). Jekyll handles Markdown, it handles CSS (via SASS)
and it would allow the site to live in a git repo.

Also, I found that other projects use Jekyll with great success, here is
just one example in the Flink project:

https://flink.apache.org/

Nice looking site, clearly more modern and fully customizable.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

What about this.. there's a lot of stuff that's doc...

What if we made docs for AMQ5 instead of converting to another
format.. it's the same work regardless.. and Markdown for docs it's
easier.

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have poked through some of the exported HTML pages from Confluence and
> there is so much cruft in there. E.g., large amounts of content wrapped in
> tables -- blech! I've also experimented with the text2html Python script
> and it does not convert these HTML files to Markdown very well, even if I
> skip tables. If we were to resort to hacking the HTML by hand to convert to
> Markdown, this is a *tremendous* amount of work. I grabbed the HTML, got
> rid of the duplicates that I saw and I still have 1600+ files.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If we can settle on a target format, I'd be up for dedicating time for a
>> hack-a-thon to just blaze through it. While painful, I believe we could get
>> it done quickly.
>>

>> On 12/6/17 10:20 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>>
>>> Several opinions have been expressed recently that the ActiveMQ website
>>> needs some attention and that Artemis should be made more prominent. I'd
>>> like to discuss some ideas to see what we could achieve on this topic.
>>>
>>> If we are going to make Artemis more prominent, the first concern I
>>> identified is that the ActiveMQ website and the Artemis website are
>>> authored differently. The ActiveMQ website is authored in the Confluence
>>> wiki and exported to HTML automagically whereas the Artemis website is
>>> authored in raw HTML. As a result, the two sites have a very different
>>> look
>>> and feel to them. This presents some challenges to using the content
>>> between the two.
>>>
>>> But this presents other questions -- do we want the two sites to look
>>> similar or different? When someone looks at Artemis content, do we want
>>> the
>>> user to immediately know that they are looking at ActiveMQ content vs.
>>> Artemis based content solely due to the look and feel of the site? Should
>>> there even be two different sites?
>>>
>>> I would prefer to have the site authored in a language that is easier to
>>> write than HTML (such as Markdown). I would also like the files comprising
>>> the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
>>> means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved using
>>> Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown
>>> put in git. I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to
>>> Markdown
>>> and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
>>>
>>> Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
>>> set of issues?
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Bruce Snyder
That's the big hurdle I have identified, the initial conversion to
Markdown. Perhaps a manual hackathon is the best way.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Bruce Snyder
I'm not opposed to doing a call, but let's try to work further via email
before we take this route. I can dump what I have into a git repo as a
sandbox and we can start to play around with it.

Bruce

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Michael André Pearce <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 on Matt’s idea, maybe we get a base website design and some sample
> pages migrated, and agreed on with this group first.
>
> Is it worth maybe having a virtual meetup to discuss the design etc (maybe
> some form of webex or Skype call?) to try work to some sample? What time
> zone Matt and Bruce are you in?
>
> then we could do his hackathon idea to get through the cruft manually,
> 1600+ some of that must be out dated or irrelevant.
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 7 Dec 2017, at 16:39, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I have poked through some of the exported HTML pages from Confluence and
> > there is so much cruft in there. E.g., large amounts of content wrapped
> in
> > tables -- blech! I've also experimented with the text2html Python script
> > and it does not convert these HTML files to Markdown very well, even if I
> > skip tables. If we were to resort to hacking the HTML by hand to convert
> > Markdown, this is a *tremendous* amount of work. I grabbed the HTML, got
> > rid of the duplicates that I saw and I still have 1600+ files.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> >> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> If we can settle on a target format, I'd be up for dedicating time for a
> >> hack-a-thon to just blaze through it. While painful, I believe we could
> get
> >> it done quickly.

> I'd

> Confluence

> Should

> comprising
> using
> Mardown
> this?

> thorny

> > --
> > perl -e 'print
> > unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
> >
> > ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
> > Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

MichaelAndrePearce
Agree on jekyll.

Here’s a sample I’ve mocked up with an activemq look and feel (and much lighter) based around the new logo

https://github.com/michaelandrepearce/activemq-site/tree/master/site

I forked from metrons to get most of the bits like Jekyll etc which is already working.

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>> Markdown
>>> and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
>>>
>>> Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
>>> set of issues?
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>
>>> --
>>> perl -e 'print
>>> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>>>
>>> ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
>>> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
>>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder
>>

>> --
>> Clebert Suconic
>>

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

dkulp
There are some things available to convert the confluence xhtml to markdown:

Example:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/confluence-to-github-markdown

I’m not sure how good of a job they do, but it might be better than nothing.

Dan

> On Dec 7, 2017, at 11:50 AM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That's the big hurdle I have identified, the initial conversion to
> Markdown. Perhaps a manual hackathon is the best way.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Christopher Shannon <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree that Markdown would be a good idea if we can figure out a good way
>> to convert it.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Clebert Suconic <
>> [hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> I like the Markdown (or whatever easy format.. non xml based). We will
>>> need to choose a framework for that. do you have anything in mind?
>>>
>>> I also think we should have a consistent look and feel.
>>>

>>> I will be supportive on this...
>>>

>>> First thing will be to have a framework chosen..
>>> Second to have a github we collaborate...
>>> Third.. maybe we could use one of those video calls to talk about how to
>>> do it.

>> I'd

>> Confluence
>>> look

>>> the
>> Should

>>> comprising
>>> using
>> Mardown
>>> Markdown
>> this?

>> thorny

>> );'

>>> --
>>> Clebert Suconic
>>>

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Daniel Kulp

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

MichaelAndrePearce
+1 for amq5 docs part gitbook is really clean and tidy.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 7 Dec 2017, at 16:50, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What about this.. there's a lot of stuff that's doc...
>

> What if we made docs for AMQ5 instead of converting to another
> format.. it's the same work regardless.. and Markdown for docs it's
> easier.
>
>> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have poked through some of the exported HTML pages from Confluence and
>> there is so much cruft in there. E.g., large amounts of content wrapped in
>> tables -- blech! I've also experimented with the text2html Python script
>> and it does not convert these HTML files to Markdown very well, even if I
>> skip tables. If we were to resort to hacking the HTML by hand to convert to
>> Markdown, this is a *tremendous* amount of work. I grabbed the HTML, got
>> rid of the duplicates that I saw and I still have 1600+ files.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>>> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If we can settle on a target format, I'd be up for dedicating time for a
>>> hack-a-thon to just blaze through it. While painful, I believe we could get
>>> it done quickly.

>> --
>> perl -e 'print
>> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>>
>> ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
>> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

> Clebert Suconic

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Bruce Snyder
Thanks for pointing this out, Dan. I was about to try PanDoc last night but
ran out of time. I will spend some time trying out PanDoc today. I will
also get the raw HTML exported from Confluence into an ASF git repo for all
to see.

Bruce

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Daniel Kulp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are some things available to convert the confluence xhtml to
> markdown:
>
> Example:
> https://www.npmjs.com/package/confluence-to-github-markdown
>

> I’m not sure how good of a job they do, but it might be better than
> nothing.
>
> Dan
>

> > On Dec 7, 2017, at 11:50 AM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > That's the big hurdle I have identified, the initial conversion to
> > Markdown. Perhaps a manual hackathon is the best way.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Christopher Shannon <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree that Markdown would be a good idea if we can figure out a good
> way
> >> to convert it.
> >>
> >> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Clebert Suconic <
> >> [hidden email]>

> website
> >> I'd

> >> Confluence

> want
> >> Should

> feel
> >> Mardown
> >> this?

> >> thorny

> >> );'

> > --
> > perl -e 'print
> > unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
> >
> > ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
> > Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder
>
> --
> Daniel Kulp
> [hidden email] - http://dankulp.com/blog

perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Matt Pavlovich-2
Yep.. its going to be painful. Thanks for digging into it and having
numbers.

I still think putting smart-eyes on it (with a plan on where it should
go) is the best for the long run. One big painful push and then be in a
happy place going forward... hopefully..  ;-)

On 12/7/17 10:39 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> I have poked through some of the exported HTML pages from Confluence and
> there is so much cruft in there. E.g., large amounts of content wrapped in
> tables -- blech! I've also experimented with the text2html Python script
> and it does not convert these HTML files to Markdown very well, even if I
> skip tables. If we were to resort to hacking the HTML by hand to convert to
> Markdown, this is a *tremendous* amount of work. I grabbed the HTML, got
> rid of the duplicates that I saw and I still have 1600+ files.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If we can settle on a target format, I'd be up for dedicating time for a
>> hack-a-thon to just blaze through it. While painful, I believe we could get
>> it done quickly.
>>

>> On 12/6/17 10:20 PM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>>
>>> Several opinions have been expressed recently that the ActiveMQ website
>>> needs some attention and that Artemis should be made more prominent. I'd
>>> like to discuss some ideas to see what we could achieve on this topic.
>>>
>>> If we are going to make Artemis more prominent, the first concern I
>>> identified is that the ActiveMQ website and the Artemis website are
>>> authored differently. The ActiveMQ website is authored in the Confluence
>>> wiki and exported to HTML automagically whereas the Artemis website is
>>> authored in raw HTML. As a result, the two sites have a very different
>>> look
>>> and feel to them. This presents some challenges to using the content
>>> between the two.
>>>
>>> But this presents other questions -- do we want the two sites to look
>>> similar or different? When someone looks at Artemis content, do we want
>>> the
>>> user to immediately know that they are looking at ActiveMQ content vs.
>>> Artemis based content solely due to the look and feel of the site? Should
>>> there even be two different sites?
>>>
>>> I would prefer to have the site authored in a language that is easier to
>>> write than HTML (such as Markdown). I would also like the files comprising
>>> the site to live in a git repo. To give the site a modern look and feel
>>> means using CSS (e.g., SASS, etc.). All these things can be achieved using
>>> Jekyll, but first we would need to convert the raw HTML files to Mardown
>>> put in git. I have experimented with some tools to convert HTML to
>>> Markdown
>>> and they are less than ideal. Does anyone have any experience with this?
>>>
>>> Sorry for the rambling. Anyone else interested to help tackle this thorny
>>> set of issues?
>>>
>>> Bruce

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Bruce Snyder
This looks great, Michael. It's also a great proof-of-concept, nice work. I
like the look of it, but I don't think we want to completely copy the
Metron site, so we will need to change it up.

I'm working on getting the exported HTML from the ActiveMQ Confluence space
and I will dump it into a new git repo.

Bruce

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Michael André Pearce <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agree on jekyll.
>
> Here’s a sample I’ve mocked up with an activemq look and feel (and much
> lighter) based around the new logo
>
> https://github.com/michaelandrepearce/activemq-site/tree/master/site
>
> I forked from metrons to get most of the bits like Jekyll etc which is
> already working.
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 7 Dec 2017, at 16:49, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I would prefer to use Markdown with the Jekyll framework (
> > https://jekyllrb.com/). Jekyll handles Markdown, it handles CSS (via
> SASS)
> > and it would allow the site to live in a git repo.
> >
> > Also, I found that other projects use Jekyll with great success, here is
> > just one example in the Flink project:
> >
> > https://flink.apache.org/
> >
> > Nice looking site, clearly more modern and fully customizable.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Clebert Suconic <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> +1
> >>
> >> I like the Markdown (or whatever easy format.. non xml based). We will
> >> need to choose a framework for that. do you have anything in mind?
> >>
> >> I also think we should have a consistent look and feel.
> >>

> >> I will be supportive on this...
> >>

> >> First thing will be to have a framework chosen..
> >> Second to have a github we collaborate...
> >> Third.. maybe we could use one of those video calls to talk about how to
> >> do it.

> I'd

> Confluence
> >> look

> >> the
> Should

> >> comprising
> >> using
> Mardown
> >> Markdown
> this?

> thorny

> );'

> >> --
> >> Clebert Suconic
> >>

> > --
> > perl -e 'print
> > unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
> >
> > ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
> > Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Thoughts on refactoring the ActiveMQ website

Martyn Taylor
Some ideas to kick off design discussion.

Really what I am trying to convey here is that ActiveMQ is the home of a more than just 5.x series.  And to have clear links to each project, clicking through would take you to landing page for the project.  This essentially would be the landing page for top level ActiveMQ.

I realise the text in the message needs more work (it's also probably worth having a bit of info for each project on the landing page too).