The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

zmhassan
This post was updated on .
Hi,

Firstly, I made a new UI for AMQ but really its up to the community
if they want this. Lets keep this discussion focused on this project not
anything else. Just wanted to ask if you want this. If you do I can put in
a pull request for the new UI. Lets show the world what Apache ActiveMQ
community can do? All I want is this project to succeed.

Who is with me on this?

Re: The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

zmhassan
Here is a screenshot of how it looks. I'm gonna focus first on the navbar and sidebar first. By the way, I'm using bootstrap and jquery. It will comply with the apache license.

So what do you think?

Re: The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

chirino
Isn't your UI node.js base?  It would be ideal if the web UI for
ActiveMQ started up with every ActiveMQ install.  Any way to get the
node.js bits running in the ActiveMQ JVM?

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

zmhassan
Hi Hiram,

No, currently this UI is running in the default web console (Java+Spring)
that ships with the current build of ActiveMQ.

As for the Node.js stuff I'm still working on this but it is a separate
thing. I'll send a update later on that.

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Isn't your UI node.js base?  It would be ideal if the web UI for
> ActiveMQ started up with every ActiveMQ install.  Any way to get the
> node.js bits running in the ActiveMQ JVM?
>
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Zakeria Hassan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Firstly, I think its time for things to change around here. To honest you
> > deserve better. I made a new UI for AMQ but really its up to the
> community
> > if they want this. Lets keep this discussion focused on this project not
> > anything else. Just wanted to ask if you want this. If you do I can put
> in
> > a pull request for the new UI. Ego is the biggest obstacle in projects
> > because people want fame. Lets show the world what Apache ActiveMQ
> > community can do? All I want is this project to succeed.
> >
> > Who is with me on this?
>

> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com

Re: The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

Chris Mattmann-2
+1 looking good Zak!

------------------------
Chris Mattmann
[hidden email]

>Here is a screenshot of how it looks. I'm gonna focus first on the navbar
>and
>sidebar first. By the way, I'm using bootstrap and jquery. It will comply
>with the apache license.
>
>So what do you think?
>
><http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n4680584/amq1.png>

Re: The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

zmhassan
Sorry if I offended anyone. I just read my original message and it could
have been written better. Plus this was not high priority. I'll work on
other higher priority issues for now and I will wait to hear from someone
when they want this console fixed.

Thanks,
Zak

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Chris Mattmann <[hidden email]>wrote:

> +1 looking good Zak!
>
> ------------------------
> Chris Mattmann
> [hidden email]

I wanted to clarify what my goal was sorry I didn't provide more detail in the messages I posted earlier.

Firstly, I'm just the type of person that when I see something I can make better I can't help it but try to do something about it. Well the goal of a new UI would be to add a better look first and then include better functionality. Here are a list of features I want to add if everyone agrees on this update to the UI.

1) Better looking UI.
2) I want to add a feature to add pagination to browse a JMS queue. This will avoid OOM errors that we usually get.
3) I want to add a way to search a JMS queue.
4) I did some research and it could be possible to add elasticsearch to levelDB so people can use a Rest API. Also this will allow us to have something like Kibana which will display nice charts and graphs.
5) I wanted to add a dashboard on the first page kind of like what is used in RabbitMQ first page which has benchmark metrics.
6) I plan on adding all these same features to Hawtio also if I have everyone supporting me on this.

You know why Linux runs on computers with low memory?

Well its because someone asked Linus Torvald to make it possible for linux to run on low memory computers. This is not exactly the same but what we can take away is people might have different goals in a community. Some may agree or disagree but really when you look back at this one day people might admire you just like Linus Torvald. So question is will you accept change ?

Re: The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

zmhassan
Clarification on my last post:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone with that remark about change. I just wanted to motivate people, not offend them.

Re: The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

artnaseef
I think a new look-and-feel to the webconsole would be awesome.

Before talking about the look-and-feel, I want to encourage the focus of the webconsole to be just that - a console into the running ActiveMQ instance.  That means the functionality is limited to interactions with the internal broker:

<ul>
<li> Display state of the broker (e.g. broker-stats, settings, queues and topics, messages stored in destinations)
<li> Perform administration on the broker (e.g. create a queue, send a message, disconnect a client)
<ul>

Keeping the scope limited in this way will make sure the console is a great tool for anyone first learning ActiveMQ to get information on the broker operation and perform operations which can help with learning how the broker works.  It is also great for those wanting a simple-yet-effective means to administer ActiveMQ.

Is "web console" the best term here for this focus?  Sounds good to me, but I can also see calling this a "dashboard" or "control panel".

AngularJS and Bootstrap are awesome - I've started learning both recently.  It looks like meeting To meet the terms of the MIT license for AngularJS, it is sufficient to put a copy of the license into the NOTICE file (http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html).

To make the console responsive, are you thinking REST calls from Javascript?

Re: The ActiveMQ community deserves better. Lets vote on new UI for AMQ

zmhassan
It would be cool to have something like this. I think there are many people
out there that would benefit greatly from having something like this. If
its responsive with REST and Javascript would make the experience better.