Switch to Artemis from ActiveMQ v5.14.4?

Switch to Artemis from ActiveMQ v5.14.4?

xabhi
What is the difference between Artemis and current ActiveMQ versions? When should one be preferred over another? Is there any difference between features?
Artemis docs say it has outstanding performance - should this be preferred over ActiveMQ? How stable Artemis is in production environments?

I have been using ActiveMQ since v5.8 and it has worked well and am hearing of new messaging products like Artemis(under ActiveMQ umbrella) and Kafka etc. I am looking for some feedback for these products when compared to ActiveMQ.

Thanks,
Abhi

Re: Switch to Artemis from ActiveMQ v5.14.4?

christopher.l.shannon
Artemis is intended to be the follow on to ActiveMQ 5.x.  It is currently
being actively developed to add new features to it with the goal that the
useful features from ActiveMQ will also be added to Artemis.  Most of the
development effort is being done there and ActiveMQ 5.x is basically in
maintenance mode at this point.  There are also some nice features that
Artemis has that don't exist in ActiveMQ 5.x such as replication support.

Performance wise Artemis should certainly be faster than ActievMQ 5.x.  It
has a more modern architecture and there has been a lot of work recently in
terms of performance to make it faster (like memory mapped journal files).
There are more optimizations planned going forward such as buffer pooling
to make it even faster.

In terms of production stability I would say that depends.  Artemis was
based off of HornetQ which was a production broker that supported JMS so
JMS support should generally be stable.  However, there's been a lot of new
features added recently and new features take a little bit of time to work
all of the kinks out of.  An example is AMQP support, the initial support
had issues but there have been a lot of fixes recently to make it more
stable.

Your best bet would be to just take a look at Artemis and try it out and
see if it has all the features that you require.  If it doesn't meet your
current use case then you could continue to use the ActiveMQ 5.x broker for
now but it would be helpful if you could create new Jiras or start
discussions on issues you find.

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 7:49 AM, xabhi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the difference between Artemis and current ActiveMQ versions? When
> should one be preferred over another? Is there any difference between
> features?
> Artemis docs say it has outstanding performance - should this be preferred
> over ActiveMQ? How stable Artemis is in production environments?
>
> I have been using ActiveMQ since v5.8 and it has worked well and am hearing
> of new messaging products like Artemis(under ActiveMQ umbrella) and Kafka
> etc. I am looking for some feedback for these products when compared to
> ActiveMQ.
>
> Thanks,
> Abhi

Re: Switch to Artemis from ActiveMQ v5.14.4?

xabhi
How hard would be to switch just the messaging server from ActiveMQ to Artemis. There are a lot of JMS, Perl, Python clients connecting to our ActiveMQ instance.

Is Artemis being developed as drop-in replacement for ActiveMQ that can work seamlessly with activemq-client libraries without much changes? It would be great if I can use it as a drop-in replacement for my current ActiveMQ instance without disturbing client side code, much easier to test if it is possible.

Thanks,
Abhi

Re: Switch to Artemis from ActiveMQ v5.14.4?

christopher.l.shannon
Artemis supports all the same clients plus an extra one.  It supports the
Core protocol (The Artemis native protocol), OpenWire(which is the ActiveMQ
5.x native protocol), AMQP, MQTT, and STOMP.  So any of your existing
clients will work with the broker as long as you have enabled the protocol
support.   So if you want to use existing ActiveMQ clients then you would
need to enable OpenWire.

Take a look at
https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/2.1.0/protocols-interoperability.html
for information on enabling protocols.  Also, I just noticed on that
documentation page under the OpenWire section that it says "Apache ActiveMQ
Artemis JMS client" which should say "Apache ActiveMQ 5.x JMS client".
I'll fix that in the documentation.

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 3:40 AM, xabhi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How hard would be to switch just the messaging server from ActiveMQ to
> Artemis. There are a lot of JMS, Perl, Python clients connecting to our
> ActiveMQ instance.
>
> Is Artemis being developed as drop-in replacement for ActiveMQ that can
> work
> seamlessly with activemq-client libraries without much changes? It would be
> great if I can use it as a drop-in replacement for my current ActiveMQ
> instance without disturbing client side code, much easier to test if it is
> possible.
>
> Thanks,
> Abhi

Re: Switch to Artemis from ActiveMQ v5.14.4?

khandelwalanuj
Regarding interoperability: As you mentioned protocol interoperability is available but still It looks like code changes are required from the client side.

To be more specific : Will clients using ActiveMQ client jar be able to connect to the broker running with Artemis ?

Eg: Currently clients uses ActiveMQConnectionFactory to initialize the connection factory and gets connections. Do they have to make changes if we switch broker to Artimis ?

Re: Switch to Artemis from ActiveMQ v5.14.4?

Justin Bertram
> protocol interoperability is available but still It looks like code
changes are required from the client side.

What code changes are required for OpenWire clients to connect to Artemis?
Please be as specific as possible.

> Will clients using ActiveMQ client jar be able to connect to the broker
running with Artemis ?

Yes.

> Currently clients uses ActiveMQConnectionFactory to initialize the
connection factory and gets connections. Do they have to make changes if we
switch broker to Artimis ?

No, they shouldn't have to.

Justin