Quantcast

StoreUsage, TempUsage and MemoryUsage

Tamir
I'm trying to figure out the effect of those settings on the AMQPersistenceAdapter (through the SystemUsage object). I'm working with an embedded broker.
So far I was unable to find it, and couldn't find anything in the docs as well.

Anyone knows what those objects control ?

Re: StoreUsage, TempUsage and MemoryUsage

rajdavies

On Jan 31, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Tamir wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out the effect of those settings on the
> AMQPersistenceAdapter (through the SystemUsage object). I'm working
> with an
> embedded broker.
> So far I was unable to find it, and couldn't find anything in the
> docs as
> well.
>
> Anyone knows what those objects control ?

Store usage controls the maximum size of the AMQMessage Store
TempUsage is the maximum size of the store used for non-persistent
messages that may optionally overflow from memory awaiting dispatch
MemoryUsage is the maximum amount of memory the broker will use

cheers,

Rob

http://open.iona.com/ -Enterprise Open Integration
http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/

Are the settings enforced? For example, if I am running an embedded broker inside another java app and have set the max jvm heap size to be 512MB, but have set MemoryUsage to be 100MB. Will the broker only use at most 100MB of memory, or can it exceed that amount?

Re: StoreUsage, TempUsage and MemoryUsage

Tamir
I'm sorry, but I still don't understand the meaning of each setting. Doe the StoreUsage affect the size of disk space the AMQStore would consume? Cause that's not what I've seen in my tests (of course, there's always the possibility I didn't use it right).
Is there any documentation about those settings and their usage ?

rajdavies wrote

On Jan 31, 2008, at 7:26 PM, dalin wrote:

> rajdavies wrote:
>>
>> Store usage controls the maximum size of the AMQMessage Store
>> TempUsage is the maximum size of the store used for non-persistent
>> messages that may optionally overflow from memory awaiting dispatch
>> MemoryUsage is the maximum amount of memory the broker will use
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> http://open.iona.com/ -Enterprise Open Integration
>> http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/
>>

> Are the settings enforced? For example, if I am running an embedded
> broker
> inside another java app and have set the max jvm heap size to be
> 512MB, but
> have set MemoryUsage to be 100MB. Will the broker only use at most
> 100MB of
> memory, or can it exceed that amount?

The broker makes a guess at how much space messages will use in the
JVM - based on the size of the message after its been serialized. If
you are using the vm://transport - messages aren't by default
serialized so it used the default - 8k as the message size. This means
that the broker should use 100mb or less of the available JVM space.

cheers,

Rob

http://open.iona.com/ -Enterprise Open Integration
http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/

Re: StoreUsage, TempUsage and MemoryUsage

Tamir
I'm sorry to repeat my question, but I still haven't found a way to limit the size of both journal files and data files. I'm willing (actually, I want) to discard old message, but I have to guarantee that the disk usage would be bounded by something. Is that doable ?
rajdavies wrote

On Feb 3, 2008, at 8:56 PM, Tamir wrote:

> I'm sorry to repeat my question, but I still haven't found a way to
> limit the
> size of both journal files and data files. I'm willing (actually, I
> want) to
> discard old message, but I have to guarantee that the disk usage
> would be
> bounded by something. Is that doable ?
>
> rajdavies wrote:

>>> Are the settings enforced? For example, if I am running an embedded
>>> broker
>>> inside another java app and have set the max jvm heap size to be
>>> 512MB, but
>>> have set MemoryUsage to be 100MB. Will the broker only use at most
>>> 100MB of
>>> memory, or can it exceed that amount?
>>> --
>>>

>> The broker makes a guess at how much space messages will use in the
>> JVM - based on the size of the message after its been serialized. If
>> you are using the vm://transport - messages aren't by default
>> serialized so it used the default - 8k as the message size. This
>> means
>> that the broker should use 100mb or less of the available JVM space.
>>

>> cheers,
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> http://open.iona.com/ -Enterprise Open Integration
>> http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/

Those settings I mentioned should work - do they not?
What version are you using ? - and if its the latest 5.1 snapshot -
you'd best raise a jira and a testcase for it

cheers,

Rob

http://open.iona.com/ -Enterprise Open Integration
http://rajdavies.blogspot.com/

Re: StoreUsage, TempUsage and MemoryUsage

Tamir
Thanks for the quick reply, Rob.
I'm using 5.0, I hope it's good enough.

Before opening a jira case, I want to make sure my usage of the system is correct ...

I'm sending 10,000 msgs, 100K each (around 1 gig worth of data) to a broker, with no consumer on that broker, and no connected brokers as well.
The RAM isn't exceeding 50mb (even though I haven't found the place to configure this, either up or down), but the journal files are taking around 1gig on the FS, and the data file is 16mb.

The xml file I'm using is attached.
Please tell me if that's a valid configuration, and if so, I'll open a case.

rajdavies wrote

test-activemq.xml