Simple high availability setup

jb6622
Hi all,

I have a simple requirement to set up 2 brokers to provide some resilience
to our solution. Unfortunately, the consumer I'll be using is a proprietary
tool that can only accept very simple (hostname / port / destination name)
connection details to the brokers and so as far as I can tell I can't use
the failover: protocol here.

Can I use something like a master/slave configuration with a separate load
balancer sitting in front of the brokers? This would then give a single
connection point that I can aim our consumer at. Is there a better way of
doing this?

Many thanks in advance,

jb6622

RE: Simple high availability setup

David Martin
Hi

What version of ActiveMQ are you referring to? For v5, it is possible to have a load balancer health check http://hostname:8162/jolokia/api on both broker instances of a master/slave setup - if it receives a response then this is the master and it should direct all traffic to this node.

Dave

RE: Simple high availability setup

jb6622
Hi Dave,

Many thanks, that's an interesting approach - we are indeed using v5. I'll
look into our load balancer's capabilities to see if I can do just that.

Much appreciated!
jb6622

Re: Simple high availability setup

David Martin
No problem - nb it's port 8161 not 8162

--
Sent from: https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Factivemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com%2FActiveMQ-User-f2341805.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cdmartin%40sis.tv%7C7cf3dfdcd180494236d608d6e865f7c4%7C629ba906d77e4dc6acf3d71375b281ea%7C0%7C1%7C636951921988292597&amp;sdata=6ibhk0sam91rokxI71%2FJZcSaoFACRtRvFLLDYEleczQ%3D&amp;reserved=0