Relocated broker loses all durable subscriptions

Relocated broker loses all durable subscriptions

paulgale
Hi,

ActiveMQ 5.8.0 on RHEL 6.1.

We recently moved an existing broker to a new server. It was really a logic
move; the old broker was shutdown completely and a new one installed from
scratch on another server without copying any  files from the old broker.
Essentially the new broker was the same as the old broker but with a
different IP address.

The new broker uses the existing message store mounted over NFS.

However, after the new broker came up all the durable topic subscriptions
that should have appeared in the web console were gone.

Is it conceivable that changing a broker's IP address could cause it to not
recognize its durable subscriptions when restarted? Is this a bug or a
limitation?

Presumably the new broker must have erased them as they did not reappear
when the new broker was shutdown and the old one restarted.

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Relocated broker loses all durable subscriptions

artnaseef
The durable subs are recorded in activemq's only persistent store. Without the store, it has no way to remember anything across restarts that is not in the configuration files.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2014, at 11:28 PM, "paulgale [via ActiveMQ]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

To start a new topic under ActiveMQ - User, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from ActiveMQ - User, click here.
NAML

Re: Relocated broker loses all durable subscriptions

paulgale
>Without the store, it has no way to remember anything across restarts that
is not in the configuration files.
Understood.

However, the two broker instances referenced the SAME message store (not
concurrently) which they each mounted over NFS.

Thanks,
Paul

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 9:55 AM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The durable subs are recorded in activemq's only persistent store. Without
> the store, it has no way to remember anything across restarts that is not
> in the configuration files.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Apr 4, 2014, at 11:28 PM, "paulgale [via ActiveMQ]" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > ActiveMQ 5.8.0 on RHEL 6.1.
> >
> > We recently moved an existing broker to a new server. It was really a
> logic
> > move; the old broker was shutdown completely and a new one installed from
> > scratch on another server without copying any  files from the old broker.
> > Essentially the new broker was the same as the old broker but with a
> > different IP address.
> >
> > The new broker uses the existing message store mounted over NFS.
> >
> > However, after the new broker came up all the durable topic subscriptions
> > that should have appeared in the web console were gone.
> >
> > Is it conceivable that changing a broker's IP address could cause it to
> not
> > recognize its durable subscriptions when restarted? Is this a bug or a
> > limitation?
> >
> > Presumably the new broker must have erased them as they did not reappear
> > when the new broker was shutdown and the old one restarted.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paul

> below:

> > To start a new topic under ActiveMQ - User, email
> [hidden email]
> > To unsubscribe from ActiveMQ - User, click here.
> > NAML

Re: Relocated broker loses all durable subscriptions

artnaseef
Did I misread the statement that no files were copied?  The kahadb/leveldb was left intact then?

If so, the durable subs should remain. Just as they would for a normal broker restart.

Sent from my iPhone

NAML

Re: Relocated broker loses all durable subscriptions

artnaseef
Ah yes, I see it now.  Missed it reading on the phone - apologies.

If the NFS store was intact, the durable subs will remain regardless of change of server IP address.  This is necessary for H/A to work with durable subs as well.

Can this be reproduced?