Release schedule

Vadim Pesochinsky
I am wondering what would be the estimate date for 4.1 release?
Do we have an idea of when and what releases are going to happen?
How many more 4.0.x releases will we have?

Thanks.

Re: Release schedule

James Strachan-2
On 8/17/06, Vadim Pesochinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am wondering what would be the estimate date for 4.1 release?
> Do we have an idea of when and what releases are going to happen?
> How many more 4.0.x releases will we have?

Now that 4.0.2 is pretty much out (the vote on the Incubator PMC looks
just about done) I think we're close to cutting our first release of
4.1 as the code's looking in good shape. So maybe a week or so for the
first release candidate build then if that's OK about another week or
so to get it through the voting process
--

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Release schedule

Vadim Pesochinsky
Hi James,

It looks like this is changed now with 4.0.3. Any idea when 4.1 is going to be out? Thanks.

Re: Release schedule

chirino
I'm starting to work on the first release candidate for 4.1..

please let me know if I should hold off!

On 10/3/06, Vadim Pesochinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> It looks like this is changed now with 4.0.3. Any idea when 4.1 is going to
> be out? Thanks.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Release schedule

yaussy
I put a post in the user forum for this, but thought I'd add something to this thread.  I'm concerned about backward compatibility.  I've got a test environment with all brokers at 4.0.1, except one I'm upgrading to 4.1.  This would be how our production environment would be upgraded - a machine or so at a time.

However, the 4.0.1 brokers will not connect to the 4.1 broker, giving the following exception:

Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///170.137.15.160:34695" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid version: 2, could not l
oad org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
        at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:329)
        at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.renegociatWireFormat(OpenWireFormat.java:569)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.WireFormatNegotiator.onCommand(WireFormatNegotiator.java:100)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityMonitor.onCommand(InactivityMonitor.java:122)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport.doConsume(TransportSupport.java:87)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:143)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
        at org.apache.activemq.util.ClassLoading.loadClass(ClassLoading.java:104)
        at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:327)
        ... 6 more

There must be an upgrade path for 4.1.  If that means I have to go to 4.0.2 (which I did not try yet), that is OK.  But, I can't possibly tell my management that I have to upgrade the AMQ version on all 50 or so machines we have in production.

Hiram Chirino wrote

On 10/3/06, Vadim Pesochinsky <Vadim.Pesochinskiy@mscibarra.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> It looks like this is changed now with 4.0.3. Any idea when 4.1 is going to
> be out? Thanks.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Release schedule

yaussy
Sorry about that.  I'd forgotten about the wireformat stuff.  Looks like you can set AMQ 4.1 minimum wire format to 1 and then it will connect to AMQ 4.0.2 (still breaks with AMQ 4.0.1, but 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 work together).  This gives me the rollout path we need.

Two things though:

1) I could not get multiple connection properties on the TCP connectors, such as tcp://perfgc1a::5112?minmumWireFormatVersion=1&connectionTimeout=5000.  The XML parser complained.  How should this look??

2) Even with minmumWireFormatVersion=1, will two AMQ 4.1 brokers connect using their newer v2 format?

yaussy wrote
I put a post in the user forum for this, but thought I'd add something to this thread.  I'm concerned about backward compatibility.  I've got a test environment with all brokers at 4.0.1, except one I'm upgrading to 4.1.  This would be how our production environment would be upgraded - a machine or so at a time.

However, the 4.0.1 brokers will not connect to the 4.1 broker, giving the following exception:

Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///170.137.15.160:34695" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid version: 2, could not l
oad org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
        at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:329)
        at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.renegociatWireFormat(OpenWireFormat.java:569)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.WireFormatNegotiator.onCommand(WireFormatNegotiator.java:100)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityMonitor.onCommand(InactivityMonitor.java:122)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport.doConsume(TransportSupport.java:87)
        at org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:143)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
        at org.apache.activemq.util.ClassLoading.loadClass(ClassLoading.java:104)
        at org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:327)
        ... 6 more

There must be an upgrade path for 4.1.  If that means I have to go to 4.0.2 (which I did not try yet), that is OK.  But, I can't possibly tell my management that I have to upgrade the AMQ version on all 50 or so machines we have in production.

Hiram Chirino wrote
I'm starting to work on the first release candidate for 4.1..

please let me know if I should hold off!

On 10/3/06, Vadim Pesochinsky <Vadim.Pesochinskiy@mscibarra.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> It looks like this is changed now with 4.0.3. Any idea when 4.1 is going to
> be out? Thanks.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Release schedule

chirino
On 10/4/06, yaussy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry about that.  I'd forgotten about the wireformat stuff.  Looks like you
> can set AMQ 4.1 minimum wire format to 1 and then it will connect to AMQ
> 4.0.2 (still breaks with AMQ 4.0.1, but 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 work together).
> This gives me the rollout path we need.

Since 4.0.2 has not been officially released, which 4.0.2 versin are
you using? RC4 ?

I think 4.0.2 RC 4 should be able to connecto the 4.1 without any
config changes.  A small bug in 4.0 was fixed in 4.0.2 that fixes auto
wirefomat versin negociation.

> Two things though:
>
> 1) I could not get multiple connection properties on the TCP connectors,
> such as
> tcp://perfgc1a::5112?minmumWireFormatVersion=1&connectionTimeout=5000.  The
> XML parser complained.  How should this look??

in XML you need replace all the '&' with '&amp;'

> 2) Even with minmumWireFormatVersion=1, will two AMQ 4.1 brokers connect
> using their newer v2 format?

Hum they should.  Sees odd that the default is not 1... it should be
1.  I'll double check.

Thanks for testing this stuff out!

> yaussy wrote:
> >
> > I put a post in the user forum for this, but thought I'd add something to
> > this thread.  I'm concerned about backward compatibility.  I've got a test
> > environment with all brokers at 4.0.1, except one I'm upgrading to 4.1.
> > This would be how our production environment would be upgraded - a machine
> > or so at a time.
> >
> > However, the 4.0.1 brokers will not connect to the 4.1 broker, giving the
> > following exception:
> >
> > Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///170.137.15.160:34695"
> > java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid version: 2, could not l
> > oad org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:329)
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.renegociatWireFormat(OpenWireFormat.java:569)
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.transport.WireFormatNegotiator.onCommand(WireFormatNegotiator.java:100)
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityMonitor.onCommand(InactivityMonitor.java:122)
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport.doConsume(TransportSupport.java:87)
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:143)
> >         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
> > org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.util.ClassLoading.loadClass(ClassLoading.java:104)
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:327)
> >         ... 6 more
> >

> > There must be an upgrade path for 4.1.  If that means I have to go to
> > 4.0.2 (which I did not try yet), that is OK.  But, I can't possibly tell
> > my management that I have to upgrade the AMQ version on all 50 or so
> > machines we have in production.
> >

> > Hiram Chirino wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm starting to work on the first release candidate for 4.1..
> >>
> >> please let me know if I should hold off!

> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Hiram
> >>
> >> Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Release schedule

yaussy
Thanks, Hiram.

I will double check the version of 4.0.2 I'm using and retest.

Also - I forgot about the XML special character issues.  We use XML for our configuration stuff, too, and I should have known that.

Hiram Chirino wrote
On 10/4/06, yaussy <yaussy@cboe.com> wrote:

> [...]

> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:143)
> >         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
> > org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.util.ClassLoading.loadClass(ClassLoading.java:104)
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:327)
> >         ... 6 more
> >

> > There must be an upgrade path for 4.1.  If that means I have to go to
> > 4.0.2 (which I did not try yet), that is OK.  But, I can't possibly tell
> > my management that I have to upgrade the AMQ version on all 50 or so
> > machines we have in production.
> >

> > Hiram Chirino wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm starting to work on the first release candidate for 4.1..
> >>
> >> please let me know if I should hold off!

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Release schedule

Vadim Pesochinsky
Hi!

Any updates on when 4.1 will be ready?

Re: Release schedule

James Strachan-2
On 11/6/06, Vadim Pesochinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Any updates on when 4.1 will be ready?

The code's been ready a while now (rather like 4.0.2)- we just need to
wait for the 4.0.2 release to get out, then we can call a vote for 4.1

--

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: Release schedule

sileshi
Is 4.1 released? If not, what is rlelease plans?

-Sileshi

> [...]

> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:143)
> >         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
> > org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.util.ClassLoading.loadClass(ClassLoading.java:104)
> >         at
> > org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:327)
> >         ... 6 more
> >

> > There must be an upgrade path for 4.1.  If that means I have to go to
> > 4.0.2 (which I did not try yet), that is OK.  But, I can't possibly tell
> > my management that I have to upgrade the AMQ version on all 50 or so
> > machines we have in production.
> >

> > Hiram Chirino wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm starting to work on the first release candidate for 4.1..
> >>
> >> please let me know if I should hold off!

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Re: Release schedule

brianm