Re: Getting Geronimo to use an upcoming ActiveMQ 4.x release and the activemq-gbean & activemq-gbean-management modules

Re: Getting Geronimo to use an upcoming ActiveMQ 4.x release and the activemq-gbean & activemq-gbean-management modules

John R Sisson
Cross posting to dev@geronimo so the Geronimo team is involved in
discussions regarding ActiveMQ integration, as I don't think the missing
gbean support in ActiveMQ 4.0 has been discussed on the Geronimo dev list.

The missing gbean support was a surprise to me as I wasn't expecting
ActiveMQ 4.0 to be missing the functionality that it had in ActiveMQ
3.2.1 currently used by Geronimo.  I was expecting 4.0 to almost be a
drop in replacement, except for the change of package names.  I was
hoping to play with a 4.0-RCx release with Geronimo.

I am concerned about Geronimo staying with a 3.2.x release when it has
been mentioned that 4.0 should be more stable and a number of bugs in
3.2.x have only been fixed in the 4.0 code.

Hiram, when you have an idea of the effort required to implement the
GBeans support ActiveMQ 4.x let's discuss time frames for Geronimo to
moving to an ASF hosted ActiveMQ release.

Regards,

John

Hiram Chirino wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Yep it will be needed.  We need to update it so that it works with the
> new 4.x way of updating stuff.  Should not be to hard to get it
> working again now that 4.x has stabilized.  What would be nice is to
> have a better set of gbeans than what we had with ActiveMQ 3.x.  The
> 3.x gbeans allow you to configure about 5% of the options that
> activemq allows you to tweak using the standard activemq.xml files.  I
> was hoping we could improve this for 4.x.
>
> Regards,
> Hiram
>
> On Mar 21, 2006, at 1:33 AM, John Sisson wrote:
>
>> What needs to be done to Geronimo to use ActiveMQ 4.0-RC1 when it is
>> available for testing?
>>
>> I noticed the activemq-gbean module (that was available in previous
>> ActiveMQ releases used by Geronimo) is under the sandbox with some
>> svn log comments about it not being operational.
>> Won't this be needed for embedding ActiveMQ in Geronimo?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John

Re: Getting Geronimo to use an upcoming ActiveMQ 4.x release and the activemq-gbean & activemq-gbean-management modules

chirino
Hi John,

On 3/23/06, John Sisson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cross posting to dev@geronimo so the Geronimo team is involved in
> discussions regarding ActiveMQ integration, as I don't think the missing
> gbean support in ActiveMQ 4.0 has been discussed on the Geronimo dev list.
>
> The missing gbean support was a surprise to me as I wasn't expecting
> ActiveMQ 4.0 to be missing the functionality that it had in ActiveMQ
> 3.2.1 currently used by Geronimo.  I was expecting 4.0 to almost be a
> drop in replacement, except for the change of package names.  I was
> hoping to play with a 4.0-RCx release with Geronimo.
>
> I am concerned about Geronimo staying with a 3.2.x release when it has
> been mentioned that 4.0 should be more stable and a number of bugs in
> 3.2.x have only been fixed in the 4.0 code.
>
> Hiram, when you have an idea of the effort required to implement the
> GBeans support ActiveMQ 4.x let's discuss time frames for Geronimo to
> moving to an ASF hosted ActiveMQ release.

I just took a stab at porting the old gbeans to 4.x and everything is
compiling now again.  So I think for 4.x we should have at least the
same level of crappy integration that 3.x had.  I'm hoping we can do
better though.  I started to test with Geronimo 1.1 and I've him my
first big issue.  ActiveMQ 4.x depends on activeio 2.1 which is not
compatible with the version Geronimo uses.  So I think I'll work on
upgrading activemq to use activeio 3.x which CAN be concurrently used
with the version Geronimo uses.  I would just upgrade Geronimo's
security module to use the 2.x or 3.x but activeio's interfaces are
still not pinned down and I want to avoid other folks from breaking
next time it changes.

Regards,
Hiram

> Regards,
>
> John
>
> Hiram Chirino wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > Yep it will be needed.  We need to update it so that it works with the
> > new 4.x way of updating stuff.  Should not be to hard to get it
> > working again now that 4.x has stabilized.  What would be nice is to
> > have a better set of gbeans than what we had with ActiveMQ 3.x.  The
> > 3.x gbeans allow you to configure about 5% of the options that
> > activemq allows you to tweak using the standard activemq.xml files.  I
> > was hoping we could improve this for 4.x.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Hiram
> >
> > On Mar 21, 2006, at 1:33 AM, John Sisson wrote:
> >
> >> What needs to be done to Geronimo to use ActiveMQ 4.0-RC1 when it is
> >> available for testing?
> >>
> >> I noticed the activemq-gbean module (that was available in previous
> >> ActiveMQ releases used by Geronimo) is under the sandbox with some
> >> svn log comments about it not being operational.
> >> Won't this be needed for embedding ActiveMQ in Geronimo?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> John

Hiram