RE: : Re: WARNING log message to be removed

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: : Re: WARNING log message to be removed

COURTAULT Francois-2
Hello Tim,

Thanks for replying.

But what's the purpose of temp store ? Is it applicable to a PersistenceAdapter set to a MemoryPersistenceAdapter ?
In fact I don't understand why there is a WARNING log message about disk space if the ActveMQ broker is configured with the property persistence set to false.

Best Regards.

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tim Bain
Sent: mardi 7 novembre 2017 14:42
To: ActiveMQ Users <[hidden email]>
Subject: [+SPAM+]: Re: WARNING log message to be removed

That warning is about the temp store, not the persistence store, and the disk location being used for it isn't big enough for it. It's a valid message that's pointing out a problem in your specific environment, which you should do something about.

And no, we will not be removing it. But if you think there's a wording change to the log message that would have helped you recognize that the message relates to the temp store, please submit an enhancement request in JIRA for that wording change and we'll change it if we agree with what you propose.

Tim

On Nov 7, 2017 2:21 AM, "COURTAULT Francois" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I had some exchanges, in the TomEE users mailing list, about a WARNING
> message which appears even if the PersistenceAdpater is set to  a
> MemoryPersistenceAdpater.
>
> Indeed, I have the following message, in the TomEE startup log:
>
> 01-Nov-2017 14:16:38.360 WARNING [ActiveMQFactory start and
> checkpoint] org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.checkUsageLimit
> Temporary Store limit is 51200 mb (current store usage is 0 mb). The  data directory:
> /opt/gemalto/bin only has 16571 mb of usable space. - resetting to
> maximum available disk space: 16571 mb
>
> Is it possible to not display this WARNING message if
> getPersistenceAdapter returns a PersistenceAdapter which is an
> instanceof MemoryPersistenceAdpater ?
> If you agree, could you create a JIRA entry for that ?
>
> Best Regards.
>
> ________________________________
> This message and any attachments are intended solely for the
> addressees and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized
> use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
> E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable
> for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the
> intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
> Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this
> transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for
> damages caused by a transmitted virus.
>
________________________________
 This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a transmitted virus.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: : Re: WARNING log message to be removed

Tim Bain
The quick summary is that the temp store is used when the memory store is
full and more messages need to be added to it; if you don't over-fill the
memory store, the temp store will not be used. The messages that are
written to the memory store are non-persistent messages and spooled-in
persistent messages that the broker is preparing to dispatch to consumers.
Persistent messages, on the other hand, are written to the persistence
store; you might have configured the persistence store to be backed by
memory rather than disk, but that doesn't make it the same as the memory
store.

This article shows some examples of using the different stores:
https://dzone.com/articles/temp-store-and-memory-percent

Tim

On Nov 7, 2017 7:34 AM, "COURTAULT Francois" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello Tim,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> But what's the purpose of temp store ? Is it applicable to a
> PersistenceAdapter set to a MemoryPersistenceAdapter ?
> In fact I don't understand why there is a WARNING log message about disk
> space if the ActveMQ broker is configured with the property persistence set
> to false.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tim Bain
> Sent: mardi 7 novembre 2017 14:42
> To: ActiveMQ Users <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [+SPAM+]: Re: WARNING log message to be removed
>
> That warning is about the temp store, not the persistence store, and the
> disk location being used for it isn't big enough for it. It's a valid
> message that's pointing out a problem in your specific environment, which
> you should do something about.
>
> And no, we will not be removing it. But if you think there's a wording
> change to the log message that would have helped you recognize that the
> message relates to the temp store, please submit an enhancement request in
> JIRA for that wording change and we'll change it if we agree with what you
> propose.
>
> Tim
>
> On Nov 7, 2017 2:21 AM, "COURTAULT Francois" <Francois.Courtault@gemalto.
> com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I had some exchanges, in the TomEE users mailing list, about a WARNING
> > message which appears even if the PersistenceAdpater is set to  a
> > MemoryPersistenceAdpater.
> >
> > Indeed, I have the following message, in the TomEE startup log:
> >
> > 01-Nov-2017 14:16:38.360 WARNING [ActiveMQFactory start and
> > checkpoint] org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.checkUsageLimit
> > Temporary Store limit is 51200 mb (current store usage is 0 mb). The
> data directory:
> > /opt/gemalto/bin only has 16571 mb of usable space. - resetting to
> > maximum available disk space: 16571 mb
> >
> > Is it possible to not display this WARNING message if
> > getPersistenceAdapter returns a PersistenceAdapter which is an
> > instanceof MemoryPersistenceAdpater ?
> > If you agree, could you create a JIRA entry for that ?
> >
> > Best Regards.
> >
> > ________________________________
> > This message and any attachments are intended solely for the
> > addressees and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized
> > use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
> > E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable
> > for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the
> > intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the
> sender.
> > Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this
> > transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for
> > damages caused by a transmitted virus.
> >
> ________________________________
>  This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees
> and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use or
> disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
> E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable for
> the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended
> recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
> Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission
> free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a
> transmitted virus.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: [++SPAM++]: RE: : Re: WARNING log message to be removed

COURTAULT Francois-2
Hello Tim,

Understood for the temp store: it looks like a swap mechanism in case there is no more room in memory, right ?

Let's say that, in our configuration, we only set the memoryUsage limit   without specifying any storeUsage and tempUsage limit .
In such case, does it exist a formula to calculate the tempUsage limit ( eg tempUsage limit=f(memoryUsage limit) )?

I ask you the question, because if we only set the memoryUsage limit to 128 mb (no storeUsage and tempUsage limits are set), the WARNING message disappears with the same available space on the disk.

Best Regards.

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tim Bain
Sent: mercredi 8 novembre 2017 14:48
To: ActiveMQ Users <[hidden email]>
Subject: [++SPAM++]: RE: : Re: WARNING log message to be removed

The quick summary is that the temp store is used when the memory store is full and more messages need to be added to it; if you don't over-fill the memory store, the temp store will not be used. The messages that are written to the memory store are non-persistent messages and spooled-in persistent messages that the broker is preparing to dispatch to consumers.
Persistent messages, on the other hand, are written to the persistence store; you might have configured the persistence store to be backed by memory rather than disk, but that doesn't make it the same as the memory store.

This article shows some examples of using the different stores:
https://dzone.com/articles/temp-store-and-memory-percent

Tim

On Nov 7, 2017 7:34 AM, "COURTAULT Francois" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello Tim,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> But what's the purpose of temp store ? Is it applicable to a
> PersistenceAdapter set to a MemoryPersistenceAdapter ?
> In fact I don't understand why there is a WARNING log message about
> disk space if the ActveMQ broker is configured with the property
> persistence set to false.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Tim
> Bain
> Sent: mardi 7 novembre 2017 14:42
> To: ActiveMQ Users <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [+SPAM+]: Re: WARNING log message to be removed
>
> That warning is about the temp store, not the persistence store, and
> the disk location being used for it isn't big enough for it. It's a
> valid message that's pointing out a problem in your specific
> environment, which you should do something about.
>
> And no, we will not be removing it. But if you think there's a wording
> change to the log message that would have helped you recognize that
> the message relates to the temp store, please submit an enhancement
> request in JIRA for that wording change and we'll change it if we
> agree with what you propose.
>
> Tim
>
> On Nov 7, 2017 2:21 AM, "COURTAULT Francois" <Francois.Courtault@gemalto.
> com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I had some exchanges, in the TomEE users mailing list, about a
> > WARNING message which appears even if the PersistenceAdpater is set
> > to  a MemoryPersistenceAdpater.
> >
> > Indeed, I have the following message, in the TomEE startup log:
> >
> > 01-Nov-2017 14:16:38.360 WARNING [ActiveMQFactory start and
> > checkpoint] org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.checkUsageLimit
> > Temporary Store limit is 51200 mb (current store usage is 0 mb). The
> data directory:
> > /opt/gemalto/bin only has 16571 mb of usable space. - resetting to
> > maximum available disk space: 16571 mb
> >
> > Is it possible to not display this WARNING message if
> > getPersistenceAdapter returns a PersistenceAdapter which is an
> > instanceof MemoryPersistenceAdpater ?
> > If you agree, could you create a JIRA entry for that ?
> >
> > Best Regards.
> >
> > ________________________________
> > This message and any attachments are intended solely for the
> > addressees and may contain confidential information. Any
> > unauthorized use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
> > E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be
> > liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are
> > not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it and
> > notify the
> sender.
> > Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this
> > transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for
> > damages caused by a transmitted virus.
> >
> ________________________________
>  This message and any attachments are intended solely for the
> addressees and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized
> use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
> E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable
> for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the
> intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
> Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this
> transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for
> damages caused by a transmitted virus.
>
________________________________
 This message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressees and may contain confidential information. Any unauthorized use or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration. Our company shall not be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender.
Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a transmitted virus.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [++SPAM++]: RE: : Re: WARNING log message to be removed

Tim Bain
On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 7:29 AM, COURTAULT Francois <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Tim,
>
> Understood for the temp store: it looks like a swap mechanism in case
> there is no more room in memory, right ?
>

Just to clarify: it's a swap mechanism in case there is no more room in
*the memory store*, not in memory overall. This is not for paging generic
heap content out to disk if the JVM runs out of heap, etc., and I believe
it's also not for paging out content if you overfill a persistence store
that happens to be backed by memory (though I've not investigated that
specific question). But yes, you understand the overall concept.


> Let's say that, in our configuration, we only set the memoryUsage limit
>  without specifying any storeUsage and tempUsage limit .
> In such case, does it exist a formula to calculate the tempUsage limit (
> eg tempUsage limit=f(memoryUsage limit) )?
>

In that case, no limit is applied, so you're allowed to write content to
disk right up to the point where the write fails (maybe spectacularly)
because there is no more available space on the volume.


> I ask you the question, because if we only set the memoryUsage limit to
> 128 mb (no storeUsage and tempUsage limits are set), the WARNING message
> disappears with the same available space on the disk.
>

Yes, the warning message disappears because you've taken the safety off and
told the broker that you're on your own, so it allows you to shoot yourself
in the foot if you so choose without trying to help you avoid doing so. The
net effect for you is the same (the broker won't prevent you from filling
the disk in either configuration), but in one case it tells you that
there's a potential for doing that, and in the other it doesn't attempt to
warn you.

Tim