Questions on upgrading to 5.6.0

Geoffrey Arnold
We are upgrading from AMQ 5.4.0 to 5.6.0, and noticed two issues right off the bat:

- The "activemq-all-5.6.0.jar" library is now bundled with the SLF4J Log4J binding, trumping the JDK 1.4 binding already in our classpath.  As a workaround we have switched to using the individual libraries (activemq-core, activemq-pool, geronimo-j2ee-management, geronimo-jms, kahadb, xbean-spring); are there any other libraries we should be including?

- Upon startup we are now seeing the following messages... could you point us to what settings we need to change?:

        "Store limit is 0 mb, whilst the max journal file size for the store is: 32 mb, the store will not accept any data when used."
        "Temporary Store limit is 0 mb, whilst the max journal file size for the temporary store is: 32 mb, the temp store will not accept any data when used."

Finally, are there any other caveats or settings we should verify?  For example, is the KahaDB log file format compatible with 5.4.0?

Thanks in advance for your help, and congratulations on the release!

Geoff.

PS. I am happy to confirm that an issue we previously reported is indeed fixed: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-2722

Re: Questions on upgrading to 5.6.0

gtully
inline

On 18 May 2012 05:24, Geoffrey Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We are upgrading from AMQ 5.4.0 to 5.6.0, and noticed two issues right off the bat:
>
> - The "activemq-all-5.6.0.jar" library is now bundled with the SLF4J Log4J binding, trumping the JDK 1.4 binding already in our classpath.  As a workaround we have switched to using the individual libraries (activemq-core, activemq-pool, geronimo-j2ee-management, geronimo-jms, kahadb, xbean-spring); are there any other libraries we should be including?

That should suffice.

> - Upon startup we are now seeing the following messages... could you point us to what settings we need to change?:
>
>        "Store limit is 0 mb, whilst the max journal file size for the store is: 32 mb, the store will not accept any data when used."
>        "Temporary Store limit is 0 mb, whilst the max journal file size for the temporary store is: 32 mb, the temp store will not accept any data when used."

The 0 limits being referred to there are part of the xml configuration

         <systemUsage>
            <systemUsage>
                <storeUsage>
                    <storeUsage limit="0"/>
                </storeUsage>
                <tempUsage>
                    <tempUsage limit="0"/>
                </tempUsage>
            </systemUsage>
        </systemUsage>

Because the journal always retains one log file of the default size,
the limit needs to be > that the journal max file size default

> Finally, are there any other caveats or settings we should verify?  For example, is the KahaDB log file format compatible with 5.4.0?

It should auto upgrade on first start, so a caveat is that you could
not rollback using the existing store without deleting the index
(db.data). So it is advisable to archive your 5.4 store before the
upgrade in case of problems.

http://fusesource.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: Questions on upgrading to 5.6.0

Geoffrey Arnold-2
Many thanks Gary!  Do you have recommendations for the storeUsage and tempUsage limits given that our max journal file size is 32mb?  How did this work in 5.4.0?

On May 18, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Gary Tully wrote:

> inline
>
> On 18 May 2012 05:24, Geoffrey Arnold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We are upgrading from AMQ 5.4.0 to 5.6.0, and noticed two issues right off the bat:
>>
>> - The "activemq-all-5.6.0.jar" library is now bundled with the SLF4J Log4J binding, trumping the JDK 1.4 binding already in our classpath.  As a workaround we have switched to using the individual libraries (activemq-core, activemq-pool, geronimo-j2ee-management, geronimo-jms, kahadb, xbean-spring); are there any other libraries we should be including?
>>
> That should suffice.
>
>> - Upon startup we are now seeing the following messages... could you point us to what settings we need to change?:
>>
>>        "Store limit is 0 mb, whilst the max journal file size for the store is: 32 mb, the store will not accept any data when used."
>>        "Temporary Store limit is 0 mb, whilst the max journal file size for the temporary store is: 32 mb, the temp store will not accept any data when used."
>>
> The 0 limits being referred to there are part of the xml configuration
>
>         <systemUsage>
>            <systemUsage>
>                <storeUsage>
>                    <storeUsage limit="0"/>
>                </storeUsage>
>                <tempUsage>
>                    <tempUsage limit="0"/>
>                </tempUsage>
>            </systemUsage>
>        </systemUsage>
>
> Because the journal always retains one log file of the default size,
> the limit needs to be > that the journal max file size default
>
>> Finally, are there any other caveats or settings we should verify?  For example, is the KahaDB log file format compatible with 5.4.0?
>>
> It should auto upgrade on first start, so a caveat is that you could
> not rollback using the existing store without deleting the index
> (db.data). So it is advisable to archive your 5.4 store before the
> upgrade in case of problems.
>
>> Thanks in advance for your help, and congratulations on the release!
>>
>> Geoff.
>>
>> PS. I am happy to confirm that an issue we previously reported is indeed fixed: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-2722
>

> --
> http://fusesource.com
> http://blog.garytully.com

Re: Questions on upgrading to 5.6.0

gtully
it is totally dependent on your disk size, when a limit is reached,
the next add will block.
The defaults from[1] are:
   systemUsage.getMemoryUsage().setLimit(1024 * 1024 * 64); // Default 64Meg
   systemUsage.getTempUsage().setLimit(1024L * 1024 * 1000 * 50); // 50 Gb
   systemUsage.getStoreUsage().setLimit(1024L * 1024 * 1000 * 100); // 100 GB

If the specified store usage limit exceeds the local disk capacity,
then you will get potential for IO errors on an add.
dito for the temp usage and non persistent messages, once they no
longer fit in memory,

The warn message is a new addition in 5.6 just so folks can be aware of it.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/activemq/trunk/activemq-core/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/broker/BrokerService.java?view=markup

http://fusesource.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: Questions on upgrading to 5.6.0

Geoffrey Arnold-2
Awesome Gary, this was exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks again!