Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

EveX
Hello.

We're using Tomcat 7 and have deployed ActiveMQ 5.6.0 stand alone inside and it works fine. But we have problems to deploy the web console (v5.6.0). When we're trying to access the web console, an ActiveMQ web page "Page not found. What do you want to do next?" is openned.

Re: Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

Claus Ibsen
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM, EveX <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> We're using Tomcat 7 and have deployed ActiveMQ 5.6.0 stand alone inside and
> it works fine. But we have problems to deploy the web console (v5.6.0). When
> we're trying to access the web console, an ActiveMQ web page "Page not
> found. What do you want to do next?" is openned.

I think I saw a recent blog about how to deploy ActiveMQ web console in Tomcat.

If we can find the link, we should add it to
http://activemq.apache.org/articles.html

So its easier to find in the future.

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

EveX
This post was updated on .
Actually we followed many tutorials about it. But we cannot resolve this problem.

In Tomcat localhost logs, we have this exception:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.mortbay.log.Log
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1714)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1559)
        at com.sun.org.apache.commons.logging.JettyLog.<init>(JettyLog.java:36)
        at com.sun.org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:35)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.<clinit>(JspServlet.java:116)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.newInstance(DefaultInstanceManager.java:134)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1136)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:1080)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:5027)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5314)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:901)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:968)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployWar.run(HostConfig.java:1646)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Is it related to our problem? This class can be found in jetty-util jar, but when i put this jar in the WEB-INF/lib folder of the web console, i cannot access the Tomcat management console anymore

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM, EveX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually we followed many tutorials about it. But we cannot resolve this
> problem.
>
> In Tomcat localhost logs, we have this exception:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.mortbay.log.Log
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1714)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1559)
>         at com.sun.org.apache.commons.logging.JettyLog.<init>(JettyLog.java:36)
>         at com.sun.org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:35)
>         at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.<clinit>(JspServlet.java:116)
>         at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
>         at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown
> Source)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.newInstance(DefaultInstanceManager.java:134)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1136)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:1080)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:5027)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5314)
>         at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:901)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:877)
>         at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:633)
>         at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:968)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployWar.run(HostConfig.java:1646)
>         at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
>
> Is it related to our problem?

It seems like you got some Jetty JARs in the WAR. You should remove
that, as you are using Tomcat as the web container.

>   at com.sun.org.apache.commons.logging.JettyLog.<init>(JettyLog.java:36)

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

EveX
There was no jetty jar in the war, but i searched for this class that was not found (org.mortbay.log.Log) and it seems to be in the jetty jar. But if a add it in war lib or in tomcat lib, i cannot access to the manager console. So i removed it, but I still have this classNotFoundException.

Re: Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

EveX
Ok we have another clue.

One the localhost.log file in tomcat logs folder, there is a classNotFound exception (ActiveMQLoader).

ActiveMQLoader is a servlet that we have deployed, starting ActiveMQ when Tomcat server is started. But we don't really know how to solve it because this servlet is in a WAR file (for deployment), but we cannot had it as library.

Re: Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

ceposta
Please explain how you integrated with Tomcat a little more.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM, EveX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> We're using Tomcat 7 and have deployed ActiveMQ 5.6.0 stand alone inside
> and

You deployed activemq "standalone" "inside" tomcat? Can you say more what
you mean here?

> it works fine. But we have problems to deploy the web console (v5.6.0).
> When
> we're trying to access the web console, an ActiveMQ web page "Page not
> found. What do you want to do next?" is openned.

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

EveX
This post was updated on .
We have integrated it with a little java program that create the connection to AMQ:

@WebServlet(name = "ActiveMQLoader", urlPatterns = {"/ActiveMQLoader"})
public class ActiveMQLoader extends HttpServlet {

    private BrokerService broker;
    private static final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(ActiveMQLoader.class.getName());

    @Override
    public void destroy() {
        try {
            logger.info("----------->Closing the ActiveMQ broker service...");
            broker.stop();
            logger.info("----------->ActiveMQ broker service closed successfully!");
        } catch (Exception ex) {
            logger.info("----------->Error while attempting to closing ActiveMQ broker service");
            ex.getMessage();
        }

    }

    @Override
        try {
            broker = new BrokerService();
            broker.addConnector("tcp://localhost:61616");
            logger.info("------------->Starting the ActiveMQ broker service...");
            broker.start();
            logger.info("------------->ActiveMQ broker service started successfully!");
        } catch (Exception ex) {
            logger.info("------------->Error while attempting to start ActiveMQ broker service!");
            logger.info(ex.getMessage());
        }
    }

Then we deployed the war in Tomcat using webapp managing console and added this to the tomcat web.xml file:

<servlet>
	<servlet-name>ActiveMQLoader</servlet-name>
	<servlet-class>Loader.ActiveMQLoader</servlet-class>
	<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

We added this to Java options in Tomcat config:
-Dwebconsole.type=properties
-Dwebconsole.jms.url=tcp://localhost:61616
-Dwebconsole.jmx.url=service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/Jmxrmi
-Dwebconsole.jmx.user=auser
-Dwebconsole.jmx.password=apassword

And i don't know why i said "stand alone", i was probably tired. The purpose is to deploy an embedded broker ActiveMQ in Tomcat, to launch it at Tomcat's startup (and close it at tomcat's shut down), and to get access to the ActiveMQ web console.

Everything works fine about the broker. We can send and receive messages correctly. The ActiveMQ web console deployment generated several exceptions has said before, and whenever we're accessing it, the "page not found" message is displayed.

ceposta wrote

twitter: @christianposta

Re: Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

EveX
This post was updated on .
Here are the exceptions from the localhost.log file in tomcat/logs directory (sorry for the french inside it, tell me if you need translation)

nov. 15, 2012 11:14:35 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Destroying Spring FrameworkServlet 'dispatcher'
nov. 15, 2012 11:14:51 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: La servlet ActiveMQLoader est marqué comme indisponible
nov. 15, 2012 11:14:51 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup
SEVERE: La servlet /activemq-web-console-5.6.0 a généré une exception "load()"
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Loader.ActiveMQLoader
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1714)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1559)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.loadClass(DefaultInstanceManager.java:532)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.loadClassMaybePrivileged(DefaultInstanceManager.java:514)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.DefaultInstanceManager.newInstance(DefaultInstanceManager.java:133)
[...]

INFO: Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet 'dispatcher'
nov. 15, 2012 11:14:54 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: La servlet ActiveMQLoader est marqué comme indisponible
nov. 15, 2012 11:14:54 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup
SEVERE: La servlet /docs a généré une exception "load()"
[...]
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1105)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployDirectory.run(HostConfig.java:1664)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

nov. 15, 2012 11:14:55 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: La servlet ActiveMQLoader est marqué comme indisponible
nov. 15, 2012 11:14:55 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup
SEVERE: La servlet  a généré une exception "load()"
[...]

I tried to integrate the web console only, (v5.6) and here the exception thrown:

INFO: La servlet jsp est marqué comme indisponible
nov. 15, 2012 5:14:26 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup
[...]
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.reload(StandardContext.java:3920)
	at org.apache.catalina.manager.ManagerServlet.reload(ManagerServlet.java:954)
	at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.reload(HTMLManagerServlet.java:655)
	at org.apache.catalina.manager.HTMLManagerServlet.doPost(HTMLManagerServlet.java:213)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:641)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at org.apache.catalina.filters.CsrfPreventionFilter.doFilter(CsrfPreventionFilter.java:193)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at org.apache.catalina.filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:108)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123)
	at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:581)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:168)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:929)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1002)
	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:585)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:312)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I added the jar jetty-util-6.1.12.jar in the web console lib, and it seems the previous problem is solved... But here another exception:

nov. 15, 2012 5:39:44 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve invoke
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet [jsp] in context with path [/activemq-web-console-5.6.0] threw exception [javax.el.ELException: Error reading 'brokerName' on type org.apache.activemq.web.RemoteJMXBrokerFacade] with root cause
java.net.MalformedURLException: Service URL must start with service:jmx:
	at javax.management.remote.JMXServiceURL.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.activemq.web.config.AbstractConfiguration.makeJmxUrls(AbstractConfiguration.java:87)
	at org.apache.activemq.web.config.SystemPropertiesConfiguration.getJmxUrls(SystemPropertiesConfiguration.java:54)
	at org.apache.activemq.web.RemoteJMXBrokerFacade.createConnection(RemoteJMXBrokerFacade.java:141)
	at org.apache.activemq.web.RemoteJMXBrokerFacade.getMBeanServerConnection(RemoteJMXBrokerFacade.java:114)
	at org.apache.activemq.web.RemoteJMXBrokerFacade.getBrokerAdmin(RemoteJMXBrokerFacade.java:88)
	at org.apache.activemq.web.RemoteJMXBrokerFacade.getBrokerName(RemoteJMXBrokerFacade.java:101)
	at javax.el.BeanELResolver.getValue(BeanELResolver.java:87)
	at javax.el.CompositeELResolver.getValue(CompositeELResolver.java:67)
	at org.apache.el.parser.AstValue.getValue(AstValue.java:183)
	at org.apache.el.ValueExpressionImpl.getValue(ValueExpressionImpl.java:185)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.evaluateExpression(PageContextImpl.java:1001)
	at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.index_jsp:66)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:109)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:389)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:486)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:380)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:305)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at org.springframework.web.filter.RequestContextFilter.doFilterInternal(RequestContextFilter.java:83)
	at org.springframework.web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:76)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at org.apache.activemq.web.SessionFilter.doFilter(SessionFilter.java:45)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at org.apache.activemq.web.filter.ApplicationContextFilter.doFilter(ApplicationContextFilter.java:81)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.obtainContent(SiteMeshFilter.java:129)
	at com.opensymphony.sitemesh.webapp.SiteMeshFilter.doFilter(SiteMeshFilter.java:77)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:243)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:210)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:222)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:123)
	at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:472)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:168)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:929)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:118)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1002)
	at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:585)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:312)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Re: Problems deploying AMQ web console in Tomcat 7

EveX
We finally solved the problem. It seems it was a jar conflict.

We have removed the jars log4j-1.2.16.jar and jsp-2.1-6.1.14.jar, changed the line

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].level = INFO

to FINE and checked up the classpathes. Now we have access to the web console. There's just this exception left to resolve.

nov. 16, 2012 10:29:37 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup