Ping address wasn't reachable

Harrison Tarr
Hello,

I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
“08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”

The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?

Regards,

Harrison Tarr

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

clebertsuconic
It is possible to be a bug on windows...

Can you share your settings? I will take a look.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Harrison Tarr
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
> “08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”
>
> The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?
>
> Regards,
>
> Harrison Tarr

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

jbertram
It looks to me like it's just the way InetAddress.toString() works.

If there's a bug it may be in the use of java.net.InetAddress#getCanonicalHostName, but I'm no network expert.  If you turn TRACE logging on for org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck you'll see exactly what it's using when it prints:

  logger.trace("purePing on canonical address " + address.getCanonicalHostName());

Justin

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
> “08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”
>
> The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?
>
> Regards,
>
> Harrison Tarr

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

Harrison Tarr
Please find my broker.xml and backup broker.xml attached. They work when I comment out the “<network-check-list>” but don’t fail-over if I kill the master.

Regards,

Harrison Tarr

artemis-backup-example.xml (10K) Download Attachment
artemis-example.xml (11K) Download Attachment

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

clebertsuconic
Maybe you're misunderstanding how NetworkHealthCheck works?

This is required only to make sure your server will not run in case
you pull out the network cable.

So, if you set the ping Address towards apache.org, your server would
shutdown itself whenever your internet connection drops or the
apache.org is shutdown. it will be pure ping.

that's just to avoid a backup from activating because the network
connection dropped.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 2:41 PM, Harrison Tarr
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please find my broker.xml and backup broker.xml attached. They work when I comment out the “<network-check-list>” but don’t fail-over if I kill the master.
>
> Regards,
>
> Harrison Tarr
>
> On 3/2/17, 12:33 PM, "Clebert Suconic" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     It is possible to be a bug on windows...
>

>     Can you share your settings? I will take a look.
>
>     On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Harrison Tarr
>     <[hidden email]> wrote:
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
>     > “08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”
>     >
>     > The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?
>     >
>     > Regards,
>     >
>     > Harrison Tarr
>

>     --
>     Clebert Suconic

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

Harrison Tarr
I may very well be misunderstanding.
But I think my most pressing issue is that since the NetworkHealthCheck is failing, my servers are not coming up at all, even when they’re supposed to. I have tried to start my backup (without the ‘master’ node running) and the backup does not start Artemis, because it can’t ping any address.

I’m going to investigate further, setting the log level to trace, like Justin recommended.

-Harrison

    <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > Please find my broker.xml and backup broker.xml attached. They work when I comment out the “<network-check-list>” but don’t fail-over if I kill the master.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Harrison Tarr
    >
    > On 3/2/17, 12:33 PM, "Clebert Suconic" <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >     It is possible to be a bug on windows...
    >
    >
    >     Can you share your settings? I will take a look.
    >
    >     On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Harrison Tarr
    >     <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >     > Hello,
    >     >
    >     > I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
    >     > “08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”
    >     >
    >     > The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?
    >     >
    >     > Regards,
    >     >
    >     > Harrison Tarr
    >
    >
    >
    >     --
    >     Clebert Suconic

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

clebertsuconic
Are you using the latest (1.5.3) to debug this?

Just to make sure I would be looking at the same git version I need to look at.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Harrison Tarr
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>     >     >
>     >     > I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
>     >     > “08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”
>     >     >
>     >     > The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?

I am on 1.5.1.

    <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
    >     >     >
    >     >     > Regards,
    >     >     >
    >     >     > Harrison Tarr
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >     --
    >     >     Clebert Suconic
    >     >
    >     >
    >
    >
    >
    >     --
    >     Clebert Suconic

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

jbertram
> But I think my most pressing issue is that since the NetworkHealthCheck is
> failing, my servers are not coming up at all, even when they’re supposed to.
> I have tried to start my backup (without the ‘master’ node running) and the
> backup does not start Artemis, because it can’t ping any address.

There may or may not be a bug in the NetworkHealthCheck, but if none of the IPs listed are reachable then the server will not start.  That is exactly what the NetworkHealthCheck is supposed to do.

Justin

    <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > Please find my broker.xml and backup broker.xml attached. They work when I comment out the “<network-check-list>” but don’t fail-over if I kill the master.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Harrison Tarr
    >
    > On 3/2/17, 12:33 PM, "Clebert Suconic" <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >     It is possible to be a bug on windows...
    >
    >
    >     Can you share your settings? I will take a look.
    >
    >     On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Harrison Tarr
    >     <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >     > Hello,
    >     >
    >     > I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
    >     > “08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”
    >     >
    >     > The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?
    >     >
    >     > Regards,
    >     >
    >     > Harrison Tarr
    >
    >
    >
    >     --
    >     Clebert Suconic

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

Harrison Tarr
This is the result of setting log lower:

12:17:51,179 | TRACE | e45-f6f221d82ada | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  343 | ogging.jboss-logging | purePing on canonical address 192.30.252.153
12:17:51,179 | DEBUG | e45-f6f221d82ada | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  365 | ogging.jboss-logging | executing ping:: ping -c 1 -t 1 192.30.252.153
12:17:51,210 | TRACE | e45-f6f221d82ada | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  381 | ogging.jboss-logging | Bad parameter 192.30.252.153.
12:17:51,210 | WARN  | e45-f6f221d82ada | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable

When I do “ping -c 1 -t 1 192.30.252.153” from the command line, I get “Bad parameter 192.30.252.153.” just like in the logs. But when I do “ping 192.30.252.153,” it works on the command line. Maybe when I experimented with a different ping command in the broker.xml I didn’t do it right? What should the command look like in the broker.xml for the command to be “ping 192.30.252.153”?

Harrison

        <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
        >     >     >
        >     >     > I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
        >     >     > “08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”
        >     >     >
        >     >     > The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?

The -c and -t command line switches for the "ping" command mean different things between Linux and Windows.

On Windows -c is for "routing compartment identifier," but on Linux it's for "count."

On Windows -t means "ping the specified host until stopped," but on Linux it means "ttl."

Justin

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Justin Bertram <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The -c and -t command line switches for the "ping" command mean different things between Linux and Windows.

.... What the? :O

I had tested on Windows when I developed.. I'm not sure if maybe I had
cygwin and it worked because of that? :O

> On Windows -c is for "routing compartment identifier," but on Linux it's for "count."
>
> On Windows -t means "ping the specified host until stopped," but on Linux it means "ttl."

You may change the commands used for ping on the configurations.

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

Notice that the code will first try Network.isReachable(address)
before calling ping...

the fact that you needed the ping, it means that Network.isReachable
wasn't called...

Notice: and this is a very important warning!!!

I have had so restrictions about implementing the networkHealthCheck.
I even made a big warning on the docs...

You must understand your Network topology. If you split brain your
network, there's no protection whatsoever...

the fact that the network wasn't reachable without root access (which
is what ping.exe / ping gives you) it means that your check address
isn't on the same switch as you are. Be careful!

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Harrison Tarr
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>         >     >     >
>         >     >     > I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
>         >     >     > “08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”
>         >     >     >
>         >     >     > The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?

I was able to get it to work by changing the ping command to “ping –n %d %s”. I’m not sure why it skips the Network.isReachable; the process seems to be running as an administrator anyway.

Thank you very much for your assistance and helping me to identify the problem!

-Harrison

    <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
    >         >     >     > I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
    >         >     >     > “08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”
    >         >     >     > The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Harrison Tarr
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was able to get it to work by changing the ping command to “ping –n %d %s”. I’m not sure why it skips the Network.isReachable; the process seems to be running as an administrator anyway.

Now, should we make this the default on Windows?

I'm a bit confused as it seems I was using cygwin. Anyone can help me?