Performance in 5.8.0 vs 5.2.0

Martin Fredriksson
I recently upgraded our ActiveMQ version from 5.2.0 to 5.8.0 and after that we experience a drop in performance. In particular when sending persisted messages to a queue.

I have used Apache JMeter to get some benchmark values with a JMS Publisher, sending 5000 text messages to a queue.
With ActiveMQ 5.2.0 this takes about 500 ms
With ActiveMQ 5.8.0 this takes about 20000 ms
If I turn off persistance, it takes about 150 ms with both versions.

Is anyone else having the same problems? While running JMeter I used default configuration with both versions.

Re: Performance in 5.8.0 vs 5.2.0

paulgale
Are you using the same ActiveMQ.xml with each version? Can you post the
activemq.xml (s) you're using?

Thanks,
Paul

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Martin Fredriksson <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recently upgraded our ActiveMQ version from 5.2.0 to 5.8.0 and after that
> we experience a drop in performance. In particular when sending persisted
> messages to a queue.
>
> I have used Apache JMeter to get some benchmark values with a JMS
> Publisher,
> sending 5000 text messages to a queue.
> With ActiveMQ 5.2.0 this takes about 500 ms
> With ActiveMQ 5.8.0 this takes about 20000 ms
> If I turn off persistance, it takes about 150 ms with both versions.
>
> Is anyone else having the same problems? While running JMeter I used
> default
> configuration with both versions.

Re: Performance in 5.8.0 vs 5.2.0

I think this is a change in the persistence adapter, we now sync by default
on every send, the jms durability guarantee. Use <kahaDB
enableJournalDiskSyncs="false"
.. > to get the same behaviour as 5.2. I think 5.2 would only sync on a
transaction boundary.

http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com