[PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

[PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

clebertsuconic
I would like to propose requiring JDK 11 as a minimal requirement on
ActiveMQ Artemis on master, to be released as 2.17

JDK 8 is about end of life, and that would open up better
possibilities on what we write in Artemis. JDK 8 is pretty old at this
point and we need to move on.

Anyone would object?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

clebertsuconic
Can I assume Lazy Consensus and move ahead on requiring JDK 11 as a
minimal requirement to build and run Artemis and its clients?

Users can always use older versions if they still need JDK 8.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:35 AM Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to propose requiring JDK 11 as a minimal requirement on
> ActiveMQ Artemis on master, to be released as 2.17
>

> JDK 8 is about end of life, and that would open up better
> possibilities on what we write in Artemis. JDK 8 is pretty old at this
> point and we need to move on.
>

> Anyone would object?
>

> --
> Clebert Suconic

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

jbonofre
+1 for me.

Regards
JB

> Le 14 janv. 2021 à 18:45, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Can I assume Lazy Consensus and move ahead on requiring JDK 11 as a
> minimal requirement to build and run Artemis and its clients?
>

> Users can always use older versions if they still need JDK 8.
>
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:35 AM Clebert Suconic
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to propose requiring JDK 11 as a minimal requirement on
>> ActiveMQ Artemis on master, to be released as 2.17
>>

>> JDK 8 is about end of life, and that would open up better
>> possibilities on what we write in Artemis. JDK 8 is pretty old at this
>> point and we need to move on.
>>

>> Anyone would object?
>>

>> --
>> Clebert Suconic

> Clebert Suconic

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

jbertram
It may be a little surprising to users to have the minimum Java version
bumped in a minor release, but there is precedent for such a move. From
ActiveMQ 5.15.9 to 5.15.10 the minimum Java version was bumped to 8. Most
users are probably already on 11+ so I'm OK with it.

Justin

On 1/12/21 11:35 AM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> I would like to propose requiring JDK 11 as a minimal requirement on
> ActiveMQ Artemis on master, to be released as 2.17

+1

> JDK 8 is about end of life, and that would open up better
> possibilities on what we write in Artemis. JDK 8 is pretty old at this
> point and we need to move on.
>

> Anyone would object?
>

> --
> Clebert Suconic

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

christopher.l.shannon
+1 from me, JDK 11 has been around a couple years now so I think it's fine.

It would be nice to be able to use some of the new language features in the
broker.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:28 PM Timothy Bish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/12/21 11:35 AM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> > I would like to propose requiring JDK 11 as a minimal requirement on
> > ActiveMQ Artemis on master, to be released as 2.17
>
> +1
>

> > JDK 8 is about end of life, and that would open up better
> > possibilities on what we write in Artemis. JDK 8 is pretty old at this
> > point and we need to move on.
> >

> > Anyone would object?
> >

> > --
> > Clebert Suconic
>

> --
> Tim Bish

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

nigro_franz
+1 !!

Il giorno gio 14 gen 2021 alle ore 20:33 Christopher Shannon <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> +1 from me, JDK 11 has been around a couple years now so I think it's fine.
>
> It would be nice to be able to use some of the new language features in the
> broker.
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:28 PM Timothy Bish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 1/12/21 11:35 AM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> > > I would like to propose requiring JDK 11 as a minimal requirement on
> > > ActiveMQ Artemis on master, to be released as 2.17
> >
> > +1
> >

> > > JDK 8 is about end of life, and that would open up better
> > > possibilities on what we write in Artemis. JDK 8 is pretty old at this
> > > point and we need to move on.
> > >

> > > Anyone would object?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Clebert Suconic
> >

> > --
> > Tim Bish

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

Havret
Finally!

+1

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 8:52 PM Francesco Nigro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 !!
>
> Il giorno gio 14 gen 2021 alle ore 20:33 Christopher Shannon <
> [hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> > +1 from me, JDK 11 has been around a couple years now so I think it's
> fine.
> >
> > It would be nice to be able to use some of the new language features in
> the
> > broker.
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:28 PM Timothy Bish <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> > > +1

> this

> > > --
> > > Tim Bish

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

brusdev
+1

Il giorno gio 14 gen 2021 alle ore 21:03 Havret <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> Finally!
>
> +1
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 8:52 PM Francesco Nigro <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 !!
> >
> > Il giorno gio 14 gen 2021 alle ore 20:33 Christopher Shannon <
> > [hidden email]> ha scritto:
> >
> > > +1 from me, JDK 11 has been around a couple years now so I think it's
> > fine.
> > >
> > > It would be nice to be able to use some of the new language features in
> > the
> > > broker.

> on

> > this

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

Emmanuel Hugonnet
While I would love to say yes (given I started to move the build to JDK11), i have a concern about this move coming soon.
I'd love to have a JakartaEE 9 compatible client but that requires JDK8, so 2.17 might be a little too soon.
I have some preliminary work on this and plan to be working on it to have something ready as soon as possible.
Cheers,
Emmanuel

Le 15/01/2021 à 10:41, Domenico Francesco Bruscino a écrit :

> +1
>
> Il giorno gio 14 gen 2021 alle ore 21:03 Havret <[hidden email]> ha
> scritto:
>
>> Finally!
>>
>> +1
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 8:52 PM Francesco Nigro <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 !!

>>> fine.
>>> the

>> on

>>> this

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

Ryan Yeats
This would make clients have to upgrade to java 11 as well or switch to something other than the artemis core client correct?

Ryan Yeats

On 1/15/21, 12:50 PM, "Emmanuel Hugonnet" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    While I would love to say yes (given I started to move the build to JDK11), i have a concern about this move coming soon.
    I'd love to have a JakartaEE 9 compatible client but that requires JDK8, so 2.17 might be a little too soon.
    I have some preliminary work on this and plan to be working on it to have something ready as soon as possible.
    Cheers,
    Emmanuel

    Le 15/01/2021 à 10:41, Domenico Francesco Bruscino a écrit :
    > +1
    >
    > Il giorno gio 14 gen 2021 alle ore 21:03 Havret <[hidden email]> ha
    > scritto:
    >
    >> Finally!
    >>
    >> +1
    >>
    >> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 8:52 PM Francesco Nigro <[hidden email]>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> +1 !!

    >>> fine.
    >>> the

    >> on

    >>> this

[Octo | Emerging Technology. Human Impact.]<https://www.octoconsulting.com/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] Minimal JDK on ActiveMQ Artemis...

if not 2.17, we could postpone it to 2.18... and then branch 2.17 into 2.17.x.

@Ryan Yeats: on your question, users requiring core client could stay
on such a 2.17.x branch.. while the broker could move into 2.18, 2.19,
while 2.17.x would stay on JDK 8.

So clients would have the option to move to JDK 11, or stay on JDK 8
with 2.17.x... same as you would with any other library. for instance
AMQP clients such as the ones from qpid would soon (if not already )
move towards JDK 11+.

How that sounds?