[PROPOSAL] ActiveMQ official Docker images and K8S yml

[PROPOSAL] ActiveMQ official Docker images and K8S yml

jbonofre
Hi guys,

as part of the ActiveMQ 5.16.0 preparation, I works on:
- Dockerfile/Docker image to provide an "official" Apache Docker image
for ActiveMQ
- Several k8s yml files (with different scenarios)

I propose to integrate this in the ActiveMQ codebase.

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] ActiveMQ official Docker images and K8S yml

Francois Papon
+1

Great idea!

Thanks JB!

regards,

François
[hidden email]

Le 29/11/2019 à 09:41, Jean-Baptiste Onofré a écrit :

> Hi guys,
>
> as part of the ActiveMQ 5.16.0 preparation, I works on:
> - Dockerfile/Docker image to provide an "official" Apache Docker image
> for ActiveMQ
> - Several k8s yml files (with different scenarios)
>
> I propose to integrate this in the ActiveMQ codebase.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards
> JB

Re: [PROPOSAL] ActiveMQ official Docker images and K8S yml

The "official" image is something you will have to work with Apache
Infra. their support is limited as in Apache the release is the
Source.

I hope things have changed on apache regarding docker. In any case it
would really benefit to have a separate thread discussion showing the
progress on that front, as in if the infra team have improved their
support on docker or not.

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 3:41 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> as part of the ActiveMQ 5.16.0 preparation, I works on:
> - Dockerfile/Docker image to provide an "official" Apache Docker image
> for ActiveMQ
> - Several k8s yml files (with different scenarios)
>
> I propose to integrate this in the ActiveMQ codebase.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Regards
> JB
> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] ActiveMQ official Docker images and K8S yml

jbonofre
Hi Clebert,

The purpose is more to populate docker hub within the build.

It's what I'm doing for Karaf:

https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/karaf/tags

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] ActiveMQ official Docker images and K8S yml

clebertsuconic
What Infra offered didn’t make it easy to make a service like project to be
officially built on docker.
I would appreciate a separate discussion if you find a way.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 11:50 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Clebert,
>
> The purpose is more to populate docker hub within the build.
>
> It's what I'm doing for Karaf:
>
> https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/karaf/tags
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 02/12/2019 20:51, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> > The "official" image is something you will have to work with Apache
> > Infra. their support is limited as in Apache the release is the
> > Source.
> >
> > I hope things have changed on apache regarding docker. In any case it
> > would really benefit to have a separate thread discussion showing the
> > progress on that front, as in if the infra team have improved their
> > support on docker or not.
> >
> > On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 3:41 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> as part of the ActiveMQ 5.16.0 preparation, I works on:
> >> - Dockerfile/Docker image to provide an "official" Apache Docker image
> >> for ActiveMQ
> >> - Several k8s yml files (with different scenarios)
> >>
> >> I propose to integrate this in the ActiveMQ codebase.
> >>
> >> Thoughts ?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> JB
> >> --
> >> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> >> Talend - http://www.talend.com
> >

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] ActiveMQ official Docker images and K8S yml

jbonofre
+1 for dedicated thread. I will start it.

JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [PROPOSAL] ActiveMQ official Docker images and K8S yml

Matt Pavlovich-2
+1

> On Dec 3, 2019, at 7:34 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> +1 for dedicated thread. I will start it.
>
> Thanks,
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 03/12/2019 14:30, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>> What Infra offered didn’t make it easy to make a service like project to be
>> officially built on docker.
>> I would appreciate a separate discussion if you find a way.
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 11:50 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Clebert,
>>>
>>> The purpose is more to populate docker hub within the build.
>>>
>>> It's what I'm doing for Karaf:
>>>
>>> https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/karaf/tags
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

>>> --
>>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> http://blog.nanthrax.net <http://blog.nanthrax.net/>
> Talend - http://www.talend.com <http://www.talend.com/>

Re: [PROPOSAL] ActiveMQ official Docker images and K8S yml

Krzysztof
I think a good starting point would be to look at what Victor Romero did in
this field for Artemis https://github.com/vromero/activemq-artemis-docker

I've made some initial research, and it seems to be a good way to tackle
this, but we would need to decouple docker bits from source code, as we
supposedly don't want to push a new docker image with every commit to the
main repo.