Overhead between network of brokers and direct TCP socket connection

Overhead between network of brokers and direct TCP socket connection

Romain C.
Hi,

I am facing an interesting case study.

I have 2 systems in different geographical locations with a limited
bandwidth:

From primary system (A) to secondary system (B): 64 kbps uplink
From secondary system (B) to primary system (A): 512 kbps uplink

Systems A and B are in different subnets and we use a router between the two
systems.

Each system is composed of a few servers communicating internally with
ActiveMQ.

We are looking right now at the communication between each system. We could
use ActiveMQ to form a network of brokers between the two systems, and send
information through it.

My guess, i may be wrong, is that ActiveMQ will send over some information
to maintain the connection for the network of brokers.

1) Does anyone has an idea of the bandwidth consumption in this case?

2) Would you recommend to use a network of brokers or a direct TCP socket
connection in such situation?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Romain.

Re: Overhead between network of brokers and direct TCP socket connection

gtully
A network connection will be fine in this case. If you have very
dynamic producers and consumers, you may find that advisory messages
propagated across the network use too much bandwidth.
If this is the case, it is possible to specify a static route with
statically included destinations and disable advisory support on the
broker. This will keep traffic on the network connector to a minimum,
just occasional keep alive packets when the connection is idle.

--
http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com