Quantcast

Non-persistent jms message get lost for non durable subscriber.

Non-persistent jms message get lost for non durable subscriber.

smith420
This post was updated on .
I have started with ActiveMQ just one day ago, so my knowledge on it is limited.
My target is to check the ActiveMQ stability and throughput in different scenario for JMS message.
So, following is one scenario.
1. I am publishing 1 mil non-persistent synchronous messages to topic and subscribing it synchronously non durable manner. One publisher and one subscriber.
2. The broker, publisher and subscriber is up during the test.

Unfortunately nearly most of the times(only one time I got all messages out of 14 try),  I am not getting all the messages(1 mil) in subscriber end. nearly 5500 messages are lost.

I did the same test for tibco ems and ibm mq and did not get this issue.

So, for ActiveMQ, if I need all messages to be received, is it necessary to use persistent message and durable subscriber always?

Don't think form the angle of guaranteed messaging or fail-over scenario.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Smith

Re: Non-persistent jms message get lost for non durable subscriber.

clebertsuconic
Since you are looking on other possibilities, take a look on
http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/ as well?

Anyways, a non persistence message should be available to be received
as long as you didn't stop the broker. The non persistent message
means the message doesn't need to survive an eventual crash, but you
should still receive it. Persistent only means the messages gets
stored on the disk in between receiving and sending back to the client
(all the way back to ack the message).

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:16 AM, smith420 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have started with ActiveMQ just one day ago, so my knowledge on it is
> limited.My target is to check the ActiveMQ stability and throughput in
> different scenario for JMS message.So, following is one scenario.1. I am
> publishing 1 mil non-persistent synchronous messages to topic and
> subscribing it synchronously non durable manner. One publisher and one
> subscriber.2. The broker, publisher and subscriber is up during the
> test.Unfortunately nearly most of the times(only one time I got all messages
> out of 14 try),  I am not getting all the messages(1 mil) in subscriber end.
> nearly 5500 messages are lost.I did the same test for tibco ems and ibm mq
> and did not get this issue.So, for ActiveMQ, if I need all messages to be
> received, is it necessary to use persistent message and durable subscriber
> always?Don't think form the angle of guaranteed messaging or fail-over
> scenario. Any suggestion is welcome.Thanks,Smith

Re: Non-persistent jms message get lost for non durable subscriber.

tabish121@gmail.com
Check the configuration of the Constant Pending Message Limit Strategy:
http://activemq.apache.org/slow-consumer-handling.html

this could be tripping you up.

On 02/07/2017 01:06 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:

> Since you are looking on other possibilities, take a look on
> http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/ as well?
>

> Anyways, a non persistence message should be available to be received
> as long as you didn't stop the broker. The non persistent message
> means the message doesn't need to survive an eventual crash, but you
> should still receive it. Persistent only means the messages gets
> stored on the disk in between receiving and sending back to the client
> (all the way back to ack the message).
>
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:16 AM, smith420 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have started with ActiveMQ just one day ago, so my knowledge on it is
>> limited.My target is to check the ActiveMQ stability and throughput in
>> different scenario for JMS message.So, following is one scenario.1. I am
>> publishing 1 mil non-persistent synchronous messages to topic and
>> subscribing it synchronously non durable manner. One publisher and one
>> subscriber.2. The broker, publisher and subscriber is up during the
>> test.Unfortunately nearly most of the times(only one time I got all messages
>> out of 14 try),  I am not getting all the messages(1 mil) in subscriber end.
>> nearly 5500 messages are lost.I did the same test for tibco ems and ibm mq
>> and did not get this issue.So, for ActiveMQ, if I need all messages to be
>> received, is it necessary to use persistent message and durable subscriber
>> always?Don't think form the angle of guaranteed messaging or fail-over
>> scenario. Any suggestion is welcome.Thanks,Smith

twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: Non-persistent jms message get lost for non durable subscriber.

Tim Bain
Also make sure you haven't set an unreasonably short time for
JMSExpiration.