Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

zmhassan
Hi,

It's no surprise that the Apache ActiveMQ project is world renown and the
Apache community is filled with some of the greatest minds in the software
industry. I'm proposing something new and I know not everyone will agree
but this is what open source is all about, open collaboration from everyone
and anyone. Apache community is also known for their long lived projects
and one item that we should consider is today's young 20-something year
old's "like me" are really attracted to JavaScript in particular Node.JS.
I'm proposing a Node.JS Client library for accessing ActiveMQ JMS messages.

I wrote a little JavaScript to access the RSS atom feed for the web console
(not committed yet) then I looked into Jolokia where even more stuff can be
done.

Here is some of the code: https://gist.github.com/zmhassan/8702385

Since its RESTful based I think it is possible to make an API in Node.JS. I
looked online and no one has done this yet for ActiveMQ.

What motivated me to do this was this Youtube video by Tim Berners-Lee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM6XIICm_qo

Benefits:

   - It will bring younger, diverse in skill set contributors to the Apache
   ActiveMQ community.
   - Much of the code written in Node.JS can be re-factored and reused on
   the client-side.
   - This will open the doors to new innovation... That's what we want..
   Right?
   - This will ensure that this project is around for the next 40 years.
   - We all learn a more modern technology.

Frequently asked questions?

   - *What is Node.JS?*

It lets developers write JavaScript on the server-side and is growing in
popularity around the world.

   - *What companies use Node.JS?*

http://nodejs.org/industry/

   - *Whats in it for Zak or Why am I doing this?*

I am a volunteer and I don't gain any benefit except the satisfaction of
playing a small role in this open source community and making sure this
open technology stays open now and in the future.

   - *Where will I host the project to see progress?*

I will be hosting it on my github account:

https://github.com/zmhassan/activemq-node.js

Note: It will follow Apache Licensed 2.0

Best Regards,
Zak

Twitter: https://twitter.com/prospect1010

Github: http://www.github.com/zmhassan

*"Empowerment of individuals is a key part of what makes open source work,
since in the end, innovations tend to come from small groups, not from
large, structured efforts."- Tim O'Reilly*

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

seijoed
If you want to use the broker, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with stomp.js and web sockets, for jmx, sure Jolokia would be great. There are several ways of slicing and dicing this, spray is also interesting from a purely asynchronous perspective as are many other frameworks.

Sent from my pressure cooker.

> On Feb 1, 2014, at 15:03, Zakeria Hassan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> It's no surprise that the Apache ActiveMQ project is world renown and the
> Apache community is filled with some of the greatest minds in the software
> industry. I'm proposing something new and I know not everyone will agree
> but this is what open source is all about, open collaboration from everyone
> and anyone. Apache community is also known for their long lived projects
> and one item that we should consider is today's young 20-something year
> old's "like me" are really attracted to JavaScript in particular Node.JS.
> I'm proposing a Node.JS Client library for accessing ActiveMQ JMS messages.
>
> I wrote a little JavaScript to access the RSS atom feed for the web console
> (not committed yet) then I looked into Jolokia where even more stuff can be
> done.
>
> Here is some of the code: https://gist.github.com/zmhassan/8702385
>
> Since its RESTful based I think it is possible to make an API in Node.JS. I
> looked online and no one has done this yet for ActiveMQ.
>

> What motivated me to do this was this Youtube video by Tim Berners-Lee:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM6XIICm_qo
>

> Benefits:
>
>   - It will bring younger, diverse in skill set contributors to the Apache
>   ActiveMQ community.
>   - Much of the code written in Node.JS can be re-factored and reused on
>   the client-side.
>   - This will open the doors to new innovation... That's what we want..
>   Right?
>   - This will ensure that this project is around for the next 40 years.
>   - We all learn a more modern technology.
>

> Frequently asked questions?
>

>   - *What is Node.JS?*
>
> It lets developers write JavaScript on the server-side and is growing in
> popularity around the world.
>

>   - *What companies use Node.JS?*
>
> http://nodejs.org/industry/
>

>   - *Whats in it for Zak or Why am I doing this?*
>
> I am a volunteer and I don't gain any benefit except the satisfaction of
> playing a small role in this open source community and making sure this
> open technology stays open now and in the future.
>

>   - *Where will I host the project to see progress?*
>
> I will be hosting it on my github account:
>
> https://github.com/zmhassan/activemq-node.js
>
> Note: It will follow Apache Licensed 2.0
>

> Best Regards,
> Zak
>
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/prospect1010
>
> Github: http://www.github.com/zmhassan
>

> *"Empowerment of individuals is a key part of what makes open source work,
> since in the end, innovations tend to come from small groups, not from
> large, structured efforts."- Tim O'Reilly*

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

zmhassan
Hi Johan,

I wanted to consolidate all those methods of accessing stuff into one
client library with a simple.

> npm install activemq-node

Also from a user perspective I think this is something that would get
people excited because now their IT staff save time in development because
they have a library.

Just googling "connecting to activemq from Node.js" it seems that people
are searching.

Developers can always do stuff from scratch but really in 2014 who wants to
do things from scratch now a days.

When we give people a easy barrier of entry into integrating ActiveMQ into
Node.JS, I think we'll see the community expand faster and innovate more.
From a re-usability perspective developers might find better ways to
optimize stuff which will help people solve more complex problems. Finally,
we want to abstract away all the mechanics involved and get to what we
truly want which is quick and easy data access.

Thanks,
Zak

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Johan Edstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> >   - *Whats in it for Zak or Why am I doing this?*
> >
> > I am a volunteer and I don't gain any benefit except the satisfaction of
> > playing a small role in this open source community and making sure this
> > open technology stays open now and in the future.
> >

> >   - *Where will I host the project to see progress?*
> >
> > I will be hosting it on my github account:
> >
> > https://github.com/zmhassan/activemq-node.js
> >
> > Note: It will follow Apache Licensed 2.0
> >

> > Best Regards,
> > Zak
> >
> > Twitter: https://twitter.com/prospect1010
> >
> > Github: http://www.github.com/zmhassan
> >

> > *"Empowerment of individuals is a key part of what makes open source
> work,
> > since in the end, innovations tend to come from small groups, not from
> > large, structured efforts."- Tim O'Reilly*

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

Oh, if you give me that npm I'll be happy as pie :)

I ment that one part of it could be a sweet node integration of stomp js.

> [...]

>>>  - *Whats in it for Zak or Why am I doing this?*
>>>
>>> I am a volunteer and I don't gain any benefit except the satisfaction of
>>> playing a small role in this open source community and making sure this
>>> open technology stays open now and in the future.
>>>

>>>  - *Where will I host the project to see progress?*
>>>
>>> I will be hosting it on my github account:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/zmhassan/activemq-node.js
>>>
>>> Note: It will follow Apache Licensed 2.0
>>>

>>> Best Regards,
>>> Zak
>>>
>>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/prospect1010
>>>
>>> Github: http://www.github.com/zmhassan
>>>

>>> *"Empowerment of individuals is a key part of what makes open source
>> work,
>>> since in the end, innovations tend to come from small groups, not from
>>> large, structured efforts."- Tim O'Reilly*

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

So npm is basically a way to download libraries used in Node.JS . This
hunch entered my mind like a few hours ago. Its really experimental but
everything on the web was experimental "once upon a time". I'll send out an
email once its ready. Oh and if you don't have node.js installed you won't
have access to npm. To get node.js setup just run the following:

*> wget http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.10.25/node-v0.10.25.tar.gz
<http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.10.25/node-v0.10.25.tar.gz>*
*> cd node-v0.10.25*
*> ./configure && make && make install*

The 'npm' command is how we install libraries to use in node.js

Here is an example of one that lets you send Soap messages:

https://github.com/milewise/node-soap

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Johan Edstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, if you give me that npm I'll be happy as pie :)
>
> I ment that one part of it could be a sweet node integration of stomp js.
>
> Sent from my pressure cooker.
>
> > On Feb 1, 2014, at 16:32, Zakeria Hassan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Johan,
> >
> > I wanted to consolidate all those methods of accessing stuff into one
> > client library with a simple.
> >
> >> npm install activemq-node
> >
> > Also from a user perspective I think this is something that would get
> > people excited because now their IT staff save time in development
> because
> > they have a library.
> >
> > Just googling "connecting to activemq from Node.js" it seems that people
> > are searching.
> >
> > Developers can always do stuff from scratch but really in 2014 who wants
> > do things from scratch now a days.
> >
> > When we give people a easy barrier of entry into integrating ActiveMQ
> into
> > Node.JS, I think we'll see the community expand faster and innovate more.
> > From a re-usability perspective developers might find better ways to
> > optimize stuff which will help people solve more complex problems.
> Finally,
> > we want to abstract away all the mechanics involved and get to what we
> > truly want which is quick and easy data access.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Zak
> >

> >> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Johan Edstrom <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> If you want to use the broker, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with
> >> stomp.js and web sockets, for jmx, sure Jolokia would be great. There
> are
> >> several ways of slicing and dicing this, spray is also interesting from
> >> purely asynchronous perspective as are many other frameworks.
> >>

> >> Sent from my pressure cooker.

> the
> >> software
> agree
> >> everyone
> projects
> Node.JS.
> >> messages.

> >> console
> can
> >> be

> >> Node.JS. I

> >> Apache

> in

> of

> >> work,

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

seijoed
Oh, I have it installed. The stomp + web socket was a comment from dealing with that question at a customer site.

Thank btw!

Sent from my pressure cooker.

> On Feb 1, 2014, at 16:59, Zakeria Hassan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Johan,
>
> So npm is basically a way to download libraries used in Node.JS . This
> hunch entered my mind like a few hours ago. Its really experimental but
> everything on the web was experimental "once upon a time". I'll send out an
> email once its ready. Oh and if you don't have node.js installed you won't
> have access to npm. To get node.js setup just run the following:
>

> *> wget http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.10.25/node-v0.10.25.tar.gz
> <http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.10.25/node-v0.10.25.tar.gz>*
> *> cd node-v0.10.25*
> *> ./configure && make && make install*
>
> The 'npm' command is how we install libraries to use in node.js
>
> Here is an example of one that lets you send Soap messages:
>
> https://github.com/milewise/node-soap
>

>> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Johan Edstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, if you give me that npm I'll be happy as pie :)
>>
>> I ment that one part of it could be a sweet node integration of stomp js.
>>
>> Sent from my pressure cooker.

>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Johan,
>>>
>>> I wanted to consolidate all those methods of accessing stuff into one
>>> client library with a simple.

>>> Also from a user perspective I think this is something that would get
>>> people excited because now their IT staff save time in development
>> because
>>> they have a library.
>>>
>>> Just googling "connecting to activemq from Node.js" it seems that people
>>> are searching.
>>>
>>> Developers can always do stuff from scratch but really in 2014 who wants
>>> do things from scratch now a days.
>>>
>>> When we give people a easy barrier of entry into integrating ActiveMQ
>> into
>>> Node.JS, I think we'll see the community expand faster and innovate more.
>>> From a re-usability perspective developers might find better ways to
>>> optimize stuff which will help people solve more complex problems.
>> Finally,
>>> we want to abstract away all the mechanics involved and get to what we
>>> truly want which is quick and easy data access.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Zak

>> are

>> the
>> agree
>> projects
>> Node.JS.

>> can

>> in

>> of

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

zmhassan
With web sockets it comes with its benefits and drawbacks. I mean if you
benchmark it against traditional ajax then you will see web sockets perform
amazing but in terms of cross browser compatibility its not always
supported especially by our Microsoft folks
(IE<9)<http://caniuse.com/websockets>
.

Thanks,
Zak

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 7:25 PM, Johan Edstrom <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, I have it installed. The stomp + web socket was a comment from dealing
> with that question at a customer site.
>
> Thank btw!
>
> Sent from my pressure cooker.
>
> > On Feb 1, 2014, at 16:59, Zakeria Hassan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Johan,
> >
> > So npm is basically a way to download libraries used in Node.JS . This
> > hunch entered my mind like a few hours ago. Its really experimental but
> > everything on the web was experimental "once upon a time". I'll send out
> an
> > email once its ready. Oh and if you don't have node.js installed you
> won't
> > have access to npm. To get node.js setup just run the following:
> >

> > *> wget http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.10.25/node-v0.10.25.tar.gz
> > <http://nodejs.org/dist/v0.10.25/node-v0.10.25.tar.gz>*
> > *> cd node-v0.10.25*
> > *> ./configure && make && make install*
> >
> > The 'npm' command is how we install libraries to use in node.js
> >
> > Here is an example of one that lets you send Soap messages:
> >
> > https://github.com/milewise/node-soap
> >

> >> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Johan Edstrom <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh, if you give me that npm I'll be happy as pie :)
> >>
> >> I ment that one part of it could be a sweet node integration of stomp
> js.
> >>
> >> Sent from my pressure cooker.

> >> because

> people

> wants

> >> into
> more.
> >> Finally,

> >> are
> from

> >> the
> >> agree
> >> projects
> year
> >> Node.JS.

> >> can

> Berners-Lee:

> on

> >> in

> >> of
> this

> from

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

artnaseef
Hey Zak - sounds promising.  Just watched the Linked-Data talk by Tim Berners-Lee; intriging.  From a technical perspective, I love his idea.  It's interesting to consider some of the "devil in the details."

Anyway, how do you invision this integrating with ActiveMQ?  Would it be used to create a new webconsole?  Or provide access to the same information in other ways?

Re-reading your original post, perhaps your looking to make it possible to produce and consume destinations with ActiveMQ?

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

seijoed
I'd push for websockets much more than the rest solution.
Especially since node would be able to run outside a browser.

On Feb 2, 2014, at 9:39 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Zak - sounds promising.  Just watched the Linked-Data talk by Tim
> Berners-Lee; intriging.  From a technical perspective, I love his idea.
> It's interesting to consider some of the "devil in the details."
>
> Anyway, how do you invision this integrating with ActiveMQ?  Would it be
> used to create a new webconsole?  Or provide access to the same information
> in other ways?
>
> Re-reading your original post, perhaps your looking to make it possible to
> produce and consume destinations with ActiveMQ?

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

zmhassan
Hey Arthur,

Node.JS could replace the console and add many features that would enrich the experience of users when using ActiveMQ. It's asynchronous in nature so stuff like push notifications, web sockets, REST web services, and a world of possibilities would be possible. We could still use the same java code for ActiveMQ and have Node.JS running on a separate port. The ideal plan would be to use this API or client library to communicate with ActiveMQ via one of the following protocols: tcp, stomp, mqtt, etc.

Here a high level view of the architecture and yes web sockets would be easy to implement here:

 IMG_20140203_001805.jpg<https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3OpUJRbtZsZUVV3Vlp4MjFaaXpsWXFDR0RiSVpyRzRQVWx3/edit?usp=drive_web>

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:37 AM, zmhassan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Arthur,
>
> Node.JS could replace the console and add many features that would enrich
> the experience of users when using ActiveMQ. It's asynchronous in nature so
> stuff like push notifications, web sockets, REST web services, and a world
> of possibilities would be possible. We could still use the same java code
> for ActiveMQ and have Node.JS running on a separate port. The ideal plan
> would be to use this API or client library to communicate with ActiveMQ via
> one of the following protocols: tcp, stomp, mqtt, etc.
>
> Here a high level view of the architecture and yes web sockets would be
> easy
> to implement here:
>
> <
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n4677293/IMG_20140203_001805.jpg

Re: Node.JS Client Library for Accessing Apache ActiveMQ

gunnar0822
Hello zmhassan; what happened to the https://github.com/zmhassan/activemq-node.js repo ?

I was hoping to take a look at what you came up with.

Regards, /gunnar