New AcitveMQ HA Option: KahaDB

chirino
Hi Guys,

I just got done committing a new module into ActiveMQ trunk which I
think you guys may find interesting.  It's a new file based message
store called KahaBD and meant to be the successor to the default Kaha
message store that is now included in the ActiveMQ 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2
release.  Unlike the original Kaha implementation, KahaDB has super
fast crash recovery and it's much more space efficient in it's index
allocation.  But the really exciting part is that it has low level
data replication built into which is much more elegant and has better
performance than the Current built in Master Slave option.

For details on it's benefits and how to set it up, check out:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/KahaDB+Master+Slave

I would love it if folks could test it out and start reporting any
issues they see with it.  Hopefully we can make this the default
persistence option for ActiveMQ 6.0, or maybe even 5.3 if it gets
enough early testing.

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

Re: New AcitveMQ HA Option: KahaDB

Bruce Snyder
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I just got done committing a new module into ActiveMQ trunk which I
> think you guys may find interesting.  It's a new file based message
> store called KahaBD and meant to be the successor to the default Kaha
> message store that is now included in the ActiveMQ 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2
> release.  Unlike the original Kaha implementation, KahaDB has super
> fast crash recovery and it's much more space efficient in it's index
> allocation.  But the really exciting part is that it has low level
> data replication built into which is much more elegant and has better
> performance than the Current built in Master Slave option.
>
> For details on it's benefits and how to set it up, check out:
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/KahaDB+Master+Slave
>
> I would love it if folks could test it out and start reporting any
> issues they see with it.  Hopefully we can make this the default
> persistence option for ActiveMQ 6.0, or maybe even 5.3 if it gets
> enough early testing.

Is this meant to work in conjunction with the ActiveMQ Store or does
this supplant the ActiveMQ Store?

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: New AcitveMQ HA Option: KahaDB

chirino
"It's a NEW file based message store...meant to be the successor to
the default Kaha
message store..."

Basically it has all to good stuff of the last one (it smoking fast)
but hopefully none of the bad sides.  It's data files are not binary
compatible.  And I don't have a migration process to move from one to
the other.

Regards,
Hiram

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I just got done committing a new module into ActiveMQ trunk which I
>> think you guys may find interesting.  It's a new file based message
>> store called KahaBD and meant to be the successor to the default Kaha
>> message store that is now included in the ActiveMQ 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2
>> release.  Unlike the original Kaha implementation, KahaDB has super
>> fast crash recovery and it's much more space efficient in it's index
>> allocation.  But the really exciting part is that it has low level
>> data replication built into which is much more elegant and has better
>> performance than the Current built in Master Slave option.
>>
>> For details on it's benefits and how to set it up, check out:
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/KahaDB+Master+Slave
>>
>> I would love it if folks could test it out and start reporting any
>> issues they see with it.  Hopefully we can make this the default
>> persistence option for ActiveMQ 6.0, or maybe even 5.3 if it gets
>> enough early testing.
>
> Is this meant to work in conjunction with the ActiveMQ Store or does
> this supplant the ActiveMQ Store?
>
> Bruce
> );'

> Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com

Open Source SOA
http://open.iona.com

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "It's a NEW file based message store...meant to be the successor to
> the default Kaha
> message store..."
>
> Basically it has all to good stuff of the last one (it smoking fast)
> but hopefully none of the bad sides.  It's data files are not binary
> compatible.  And I don't have a migration process to move from one to
> the other.

So this is to be used instead of the ActiveMQ Store and it provides
replication, correct?

Bruce
);'

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: New AcitveMQ HA Option: KahaDB

James Strachan-2
2008/11/24 Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I just got done committing a new module into ActiveMQ trunk which I
> think you guys may find interesting.  It's a new file based message
> store called KahaBD and meant to be the successor to the default Kaha
> message store that is now included in the ActiveMQ 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2
> release.  Unlike the original Kaha implementation, KahaDB has super
> fast crash recovery and it's much more space efficient in it's index
> allocation.  But the really exciting part is that it has low level
> data replication built into which is much more elegant and has better
> performance than the Current built in Master Slave option.

Great stuff! I'll take her for a spin!

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com/

Re: New AcitveMQ HA Option: KahaDB

chirino
Yes.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "It's a NEW file based message store...meant to be the successor to
>> the default Kaha
>> message store..."
>>
>> Basically it has all to good stuff of the last one (it smoking fast)
>> but hopefully none of the bad sides.  It's data files are not binary
>> compatible.  And I don't have a migration process to move from one to
>> the other.
>
> So this is to be used instead of the ActiveMQ Store and it provides
> replication, correct?
>
> Bruce
> );'

> Blog: http://bruceblog.org/