New AMQ C++ client update

Mats Forslöf
Hi,

The new update should make the C++ client on par with the C# client. The client is now APR free which makes it totally independent of 3rd party libs and it compiles on both Windows and Linux (make files and updated groovy scripts included). Also, we have made a slight architectural re-design that differs from the C# client on the marshalling part - because of this there is no need for all the marshallers/registry. If any OpenWire guru could look through the marshalling part, to make sure we don't have made any obvious mistake, it would be appreciated.

We will start testing/debugging shortly, however there are still some things that need some more work or are missing;

 - Support for UTF-8
 - Exception handling
 - SocketFactory/SSL Socket
 - ActiveMQStream/ObjectMessage
 - Code comments

The update is uploaded to a Jira issue, http://jira.activemq.org/jira/browse/AMQ-656.

Regards,
Mats

Re: New AMQ C++ client update

nmittler
Mats - great stuff! ... I've downloaded your code and had to make a few
adjustments for compiling on gcc 4.x (but not many).  I wanted to upload the
changes to your JIRA issue, but the server seems to be down right now.  I'll
send you an e-mail directly with the code and a general outline of what I
had to change to compile ... stay tuned.

Nate

On 3/23/06, Mats Forslöf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The new update should make the C++ client on par with the C# client. The
> client is now APR free which makes it totally independent of 3rd party libs
> and it compiles on both Windows and Linux (make files and updated groovy
> scripts included). Also, we have made a slight architectural re-design that
> differs from the C# client on the marshalling part - because of this there
> is no need for all the marshallers/registry. If any OpenWire guru could look
> through the marshalling part, to make sure we don't have made any obvious
> mistake, it would be appreciated.
>
> We will start testing/debugging shortly, however there are still some
> things that need some more work or are missing;
>
> - Support for UTF-8
> - Exception handling
> - SocketFactory/SSL Socket
> - ActiveMQStream/ObjectMessage
> - Code comments
>
> The update is uploaded to a Jira issue,
> http://jira.activemq.org/jira/browse/AMQ-656.
>
> Regards,
> Mats

RE: New AMQ C++ client update

David Fahlander
We also saw some issues on gcc 4.

I will shortly post a patched version to Jira where everything compiles without warnings on Visual Studio 2005, GCC 3.4.3 as well as GCC 4.0.2.

/David

Mats - great stuff! ... I've downloaded your code and had to make a few
adjustments for compiling on gcc 4.x (but not many).  I wanted to upload the
changes to your JIRA issue, but the server seems to be down right now.  I'll
send you an e-mail directly with the code and a general outline of what I
had to change to compile ... stay tuned.

Nate

On 3/23/06, Mats Forslöf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The new update should make the C++ client on par with the C# client. The
> client is now APR free which makes it totally independent of 3rd party libs
> and it compiles on both Windows and Linux (make files and updated groovy
> scripts included). Also, we have made a slight architectural re-design that
> differs from the C# client on the marshalling part - because of this there
> is no need for all the marshallers/registry. If any OpenWire guru could look
> through the marshalling part, to make sure we don't have made any obvious
> mistake, it would be appreciated.
>
> We will start testing/debugging shortly, however there are still some
> things that need some more work or are missing;
>
> - Support for UTF-8
> - Exception handling
> - SocketFactory/SSL Socket
> - ActiveMQStream/ObjectMessage
> - Code comments
>
> The update is uploaded to a Jira issue,
> http://jira.activemq.org/jira/browse/AMQ-656.
>
> Regards,
> Mats

Re: New AMQ C++ client update

ErinO

It is nice to try the C++ client update. Although there are some glitches (reference count problem, non-initialized variables etc.), I got the client talk to a broker, seems there are some marshalling issues which I don't know how to solve them.

The C++ client tried to talk to a ActiveMQ4.0 M4 broker, they didn't understand each other, I am wondering which version's broker the client should talk to? RC? Could you please also tell me how to regenerate the command classes? Seems the page on the ActiveMQ.org shows how to use the groovy scripts is broken.

Thanks

Erin

RE: New AMQ C++ client update

Mats Forslöf
Hi Erin,

See previous post regarding stability/bugs.

To run the scripts to generate the commands you'll need to the source and Maven 1.0.2. Go to the activemq-core subdirectory and run 'maven -o openwire:generate". You should omit the "-o" (offline) flag the first time so Maven downloads all required libs. If you're running on Windows you need to patch the maven.xml by adding a line beneatch section <path id="openwire.classpath">, see below.

    <path id="openwire.classpath">
      <pathelement path="${java.home}/../lib/tools.jar" />   <--- Add this line
      <pathelement path="target/gram-classes" />
      <path refid="maven.dependency.classpath" />
    </path>

The path problem is known and will be fixed in a later version of AMQ. Remember to update the scripts from the C++ client update.

Regards,
Mats