Naming Suggestions?

123

Naming Suggestions?

chirino
Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

dkulp

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:23 PM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
> other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
> confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
> give it?

Hermes?    That would be Apollo’s half brother.

Or Artemis, Apollo’s twin sister.

Dan

> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com

Daniel Kulp

Re: Naming Suggestions?

rajdavies
+1 Hermes

8 April 2015 21:41
On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:23 PM, Hiram Chirino [hidden email] wrote:

Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?

Hermes?    That would be Apollo’s half brother.

Or Artemis, Apollo’s twin sister.

Dan

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

8 April 2015 21:23
Naming things is hard. If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion. Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?

Re: Naming Suggestions?

clebertsuconic
Hermes is already taken by Hermes JMS.. I wouldn't want to clash with that name: http://www.hermesjms.com/confluence/display/HJMS/Home

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM, Rob Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 Hermes

8 April 2015 21:41
On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:23 PM, Hiram Chirino [hidden email] wrote:

Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?
Hermes?    That would be Apollo’s half brother.

Or Artemis, Apollo’s twin sister.

Dan

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
8 April 2015 21:23
Naming things is hard. If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion. Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Petter Nordlander
Hermes JMS (http://www.hermesjms.com) is a product in the same area. Although it’s a dead project, it still widely used as it’s bundled with the popular Soap UI product. A name collision could lead to confusion.

Just a thought.

Petter

Från: Rob Davies <[hidden email]>
Svara till: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Datum: onsdag 8 april 2015 22:42
Till: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Ämne: Re: Naming Suggestions?

+1 Hermes

8 April 2015 21:41
On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:23 PM, Hiram Chirino [hidden email] wrote:

Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?

Hermes?    That would be Apollo’s half brother.

Or Artemis, Apollo’s twin sister.

Dan

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
8 April 2015 21:23
Naming things is hard. If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion. Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?

Re: Naming Suggestions?

James Carman
http://activemq.apache.org/hermes-jms.html

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015, Rob Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 Hermes

8 April 2015 21:41
On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:23 PM, Hiram Chirino <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;hiram@hiramchirino.com&#39;);" target="_blank"><hiram@...> wrote:

Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?
Hermes?    That would be Apollo’s half brother.

Or Artemis, Apollo’s twin sister.

Dan

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
8 April 2015 21:23
Naming things is hard. If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
confusion. Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
give it?

Re: Naming Suggestions?

dguggi
i'm still fine with amq-6 :)

but if it has to be changed, my vote is of course "hades" :P

what ever name - lets get going!

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 10:42 PM, Rob Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 Hermes

8 April 2015 21:41
[...]

Apache <name> incubating has a very nice ring to it

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
> other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
> confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
> give it?
>
> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] <javascript:;> | fusesource.com | redhat.com

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Chris Mattmann
See:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH

For a framework on what to answer about names. Realize
as well that despite my repeatedly telling you guys you
need to include trademarks@ in this discussion b/c you
are bypassing the traditional way of bringing projects
into Apache by doing the due diligence necessary for naming,
you are *still not including trademarks@*.

Please. Rectify. This.

Cheers,
Chris

>Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
>other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
>confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
>give it?
>
>--
>Hiram Chirino
>Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
>[hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
>skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino

Re: Naming Suggestions?

rajdavies
Good point
+1 Artemis

> On 8 Apr 2015, at 21:52, James Carman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> http://activemq.apache.org/hermes-jms.html
>
>> On Wednesday, April 8, 2015, Rob Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1 Hermes
>>
>>> Daniel Kulp 8 April 2015 21:41

>>> Hiram Chirino 8 April 2015 21:23
>>> Naming things is hard. If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
>>> other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
>>> confusion. Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
>>> give it?

Re: Naming Suggestions?

dkulp
Chris,

Calm down…

*At this point* I don’t see any reason for include trademarks@ in this.   Once we have some ideas to present to trademarks@, then yes.  We definitely need to include them and make sure whatever we select is acceptable.

Are we supposed to just send a note that says something like:

"We are trying to come up with a code name for some development efforts we are working on.  We have no idea what we’re going to call it yet as we’ve just started discussing possible names.  Just letting you know!”

That seems like a waste of time for the trademarks@ folks.   Once we’ve discussed things here and and decided on a name or possible sets of names we feel are suitable, then sure.  We’d log an issue at PODLINGNAMESEARCH and send a note to trademarks@ and make sure it’s OK prior to making it final.

That said, since what we are talking about is a code name and not a name of a “Project”, it SHOULD be easier (but again, we’ll verify with trademarks@ when we’ve decided on a name).   The name should always be referred to as “Apache ActiveMQ-BLAH” and never “Apache BLAH” or just “BLAH”.  The exception would be the normal dev chatter on our dev list.  This is just like the Apache ActiveMQ-NMS and Apache ActiveMQ-CMS we have now.

Dan

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:57 PM, Chris Mattmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> See:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH
>
> For a framework on what to answer about names. Realize
> as well that despite my repeatedly telling you guys you
> need to include trademarks@ in this discussion b/c you
> are bypassing the traditional way of bringing projects
> into Apache by doing the due diligence necessary for naming,
> you are *still not including trademarks@*.
>
> Please. Rectify. This.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Greg Stein
On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 05:34:37PM -0400, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> That said, since what we are talking about is a code name and not a
> name of a *Project* SHOULD be easier (but again, we'll verify with
> trademarks@ when we've decided on  name).   The name should always
> be referred to as "Apache ActiveMQ-BLAH" and never "Apache BLAH" or
> just "BLAH".  The exception would be the normal dev chatter on our
> dev list.  This is just like the Apache ActiveMQ-NMS and Apache
> ActiveMQ-CMS we have now.

Right. Since "ActiveMQ" will be in its release name, you've already
got your trademark bits handled, and avoided conflict with anything
else. Find a codename and move along. trademarks@ isn't really needed
as long as it remains a sub-name of ActiveMQ. Chris is just reacting
strongly because of the past use of HornetQ, which is RH's mark. That
is past, so we can skip worrying about that.

I look forward to your choices, and the Board report in a couple weeks.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Naming Suggestions?

*If* we have to rename anything, I liked the name "Nest" as the
ActiveMQ Nest broker

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
> other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
> confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
> give it?
>
> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: Naming Suggestions?

jgomes
I vote for ActiveMQ-RS. Four reasons:

1. RS stands for Research.
2. RS is alphabetically sequential after Q, and it's fun to say.
3. Seriously doubt it'll clash with a trademarked name.
4. Fits with our other existing sub-project naming conventions
(ActiveMQ-NMS, ActiveMQ-CPP, etc.).
 On Apr 8, 2015 3:06 PM, "Greg Stein" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 05:34:37PM -0400, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > That said, since what we are talking about is a code name and not a
> > name of a *Project* SHOULD be easier (but again, we'll verify with
> > trademarks@ when we've decided on  name).   The name should always
> > be referred to as "Apache ActiveMQ-BLAH" and never "Apache BLAH" or
> > just "BLAH".  The exception would be the normal dev chatter on our
> > dev list.  This is just like the Apache ActiveMQ-NMS and Apache
> > ActiveMQ-CMS we have now.
>
> Right. Since "ActiveMQ" will be in its release name, you've already
> got your trademark bits handled, and avoided conflict with anything
> else. Find a codename and move along. trademarks@ isn't really needed
> as long as it remains a sub-name of ActiveMQ. Chris is just reacting
> strongly because of the past use of HornetQ, which is RH's mark. That
> is past, so we can skip worrying about that.
>
> I look forward to your choices, and the Board report in a couple weeks.
>
> Cheers,
> -g

Re: Naming Suggestions?

James Carman
I believe nest is trademarked already.  Is it cold in here? ;)

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> *If* we have to rename anything, I liked the name "Nest" as the
> ActiveMQ Nest broker
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
> > other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
> > confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
> > give it?
> >
> > --
> > Hiram Chirino
> > Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> > [hidden email] <javascript:;> | fusesource.com | redhat.com
> > skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino
>

> --
> Clebert Suconic
> http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
> http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: Naming Suggestions?

ceposta
Nice, Dan! ArtemisMQ! I like it.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Daniel Kulp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Apr 8, 2015, at 4:23 PM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Naming things is hard.  If we gave the hornetq code grant a code name
> > other than HornetQ or ActiveMQ 6, I think we would be avoid lots of TM
> > confusion.  Anybody have any suggestion what would be a good name to
> > give it?
>
> Hermes?    That would be Apollo’s half brother.
>
> Or Artemis, Apollo’s twin sister.
>

> Dan
>

> > --
> > Hiram Chirino
> > Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> > [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com
> > skype: hiramchirino | twitter: @hiramchirino
>
> --
> Daniel Kulp
> [hidden email] - http://dankulp.com/blog

*Christian Posta*
twitter: @christianposta
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
http://fabric8.io

Re: Naming Suggestions?

chirino
I do like Artemis.  ActiveMQ Artemis has a nice ring to it.

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Naming Suggestions?

James Carman
It is a good name.  Do we need to engage trademarks@ for code names?

On Thursday, April 9, 2015, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do like Artemis.  ActiveMQ Artemis has a nice ring to it.
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 11:04 PM, Christian Posta
> <[hidden email] <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Nice, Dan! ArtemisMQ! I like it.

> <javascript:;>>

> >> Hermes?    That would be Apollo’s half brother.
> >>
> >> Or Artemis, Apollo’s twin sister.
> >>

> >> Dan

> >> --
> >> Daniel Kulp
> >> [hidden email] <javascript:;> - http://dankulp.com/blog
> >> Talend Community Coder - http://coders.talend.com
> >>

> > --
> > *Christian Posta*
> > twitter: @christianposta
> > http://www.christianposta.com/blog
> > http://fabric8.io
>

> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] <javascript:;> | fusesource.com | redhat.com

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Greg Stein

Re: Naming Suggestions?

Martyn Taylor
After being stung in the past working on the "Aeolus" project.  I'd
prefer to have a name that is super easy to spell and pronounce. Artemis
is pushing it a little for me.

How about something really simple, like "Luna", Roman moon goddess.