Messages take a lot of disk space

Marinad
I use ActiveMQ 5.8.0

I have network of two brokers. I'm using Broker Redelivery Plugin with 10 redeliveries. Also DLQ handling is enabled.

I sent 15000 messages and after 10 redeliveries those messages appeared in DLQ.
The body of the message is GUID.

Those messages take 3GB disk space.

Why one message takes so many disk space (200KB)? How to reduce the memory overhead?

Re: Messages take a lot of disk space

Torsten Mielke-3
Hello,

You may want to check out
http://activemq.apache.org/why-do-kahadb-log-files-remain-after-cleanup.html

Further did all 15000 messages get sent to DLQ after an exhausted retry and is each message round 200 KB in size?
Then you would indeed have a kahadb folder of size roughly 3 GB.

15000 message * 200 KB = 2.86 GB

Regards,

Torsten Mielke
[hidden email]
tmielke.blogspot.com

On Sep 14, 2013, at 6:46 PM, Marinad wrote:

> I use ActiveMQ 5.8.0
>
> I have network of two brokers. I'm using Broker Redelivery Plugin with 10
> redeliveries. Also DLQ handling is enabled.
>
> I sent 15000 messages and after 10 redeliveries those messages appeared in
> DLQ.
> The body of the message is GUID.
>
> Those messages take 3GB disk space.
>
> Why one message takes so many disk space (200KB)? How to reduce the memory
> overhead?

Re: Messages take a lot of disk space

Marinad
I gave roughly rounded numbers.

Assume we have 10 KahaDB journal log files data-<id>.log (~33.5MB) and each file contains one pending message. Is it mean that only 10 messages devour 335MB of disk space?