Messages delayed for no reason

ipolevoy
Some of the messages sit in a queue, while we have available and registered
listeners. After a few hours, the messages are delivered. What can be the
cause of that?

We use Artemis embedded using the JavaLite Async wrapper:

https://github.com/javalite/activeweb/blob/master/javalite-async/src/main/java/org/javalite/async/Async.java

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Messages delayed for no reason

clebertsuconic
Why you don’t use message listeners?

I couldn’t run your code but I had the inpresssion you could have messages
waiting at the client buffer.

I regard to your old Libaio thread. Is this where you put on the embedded
to work ? Maybe I could replicate the issue there !

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM ipolevoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some of the messages sit in a queue, while we have available and registered
> listeners. After a few hours, the messages are delivered. What can be the
> cause of that?
>
> We use Artemis embedded using the JavaLite Async wrapper:
>

> https://github.com/javalite/activeweb/blob/master/javalite-async/src/main/java/org/javalite/async/Async.java
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>

> --
> Sent from:

Re: Messages delayed for no reason

ipolevoy
yep, we do use MessageListener, and register 10 instances of them on the same
queue.

Re: Messages delayed for no reason

clebertsuconic
Are you running your customer's code on these listeners? do you have
any slow consumers? if that's the case a slow consumer will have a
buffer on the client that won't be available for a while until you
release your listener. You could setup consumer-window-size=0 for any
slow consumers.

(You have a library.. do you have control of the client running?)

If you do I would need a testcase to figure out what's happening.. but
most likely I it's about the client buffer of your consumers.

if you don't have control of the environment where this is happening
first thing I would ask is a thread dump so you could see what your
user is hanging on.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 2:38 PM, ipolevoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> yep, we do use MessageListener, and register 10 instances of them on the same
> queue.

Re: Messages delayed for no reason

ipolevoy
The entire code base except Artemis is under our control. The vast majority
of the messages are delivering fast ,more than 99.999. The use case:

An API submits a POST request, we form a message and stick it into a queue.
The queue has 10 listeners. When these listeners receive a Message, they
write info to DB and then send email.
In most cases, this process takes a few seconds (mostly due to delay in
SMTP).
However, some messages are stuck in a queue for more than 12 hours, for no
apparent reason.

Re: Messages delayed for no reason

clebertsuconic
what do you have for redelivery delay?

Perhaps your client throwed an exception (ActiveException on your codebase)?

I would log those.