Messages are lost in a ActiveMQ network message broker

Messages are lost in a ActiveMQ network message broker

katamareddy
There are 70 ActiveMQ nodes in a network broker.
There is a single message publisher which publishes messages in to a topic of primary ActiveMQ node.
The primary node is in the network broker and the messages will flow from primary node to other nodes(using topic on each node) in a network broker.
The issue is that messages are lost in the network brokers some times meaning not consistent . we are using ActiveMQ version 5.4.3. What could be the reason? How can we monitor network broker nodes in real time?
Appreciative your help on this issue.Thanks

Re: Messages are lost in a ActiveMQ network message broker

artnaseef
First off, 5.4.3 is an old version that had many issues; I highly recommend upgrading.

With that said, Topic flow across a network of brokers is prone to message loss.  For example, if the network connection between two brokers is lost, then non-durable Topic subscriptions between the two brokers are dropped until the connection is recreated (just as if end-clients dropped their connection and similarly lost their Topic subscription).  Non-durable topic subscriptions miss all messages produced to a Topic when the subscription is not active.

Are the Topic subscriptions all non-durable?  Are there any signs of dropped network connections between brokers?

Re: Messages are lost in a ActiveMQ network message broker

katamareddy
Hi artnaseef,

Thanks for the inputs.  As you suggested, we will update the ActiveMQ version to latest 5.10.1.
The topic subscription are non-durable for each broker in the network. Do we want to configure to durable topic subscriptions? I would need to check the network connection stability. is there any network monitors, and ActiveMQ monitor tools so that tool can generate alerts whenever there is some abnormal conditions happens(in terms of memory, no of messages etc)?
thanks,Reddy.

Re: Messages are lost in a ActiveMQ network message broker

Tim Bain
5.10.2 and 5.11.1 are the latest versions.  5.10.1 has a memory leak; if
you're upgrading anyway, that's not the one to upgrade to.
On Apr 10, 2015 7:29 AM, "katamareddy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi artnaseef,
>
> Thanks for the inputs.  As you suggested, we will update the ActiveMQ
> version to latest 5.10.1.
> The topic subscription are non-durable for each broker in the network. Do
> we
> want to configure to durable topic subscriptions? I would need to check the
> network connection stability. is there any network monitors, and ActiveMQ
> monitor tools so that tool can generate alerts whenever there is some
> abnormal conditions happens(in terms of memory, no of messages etc)?
> thanks,Reddy.

Re: Messages are lost in a ActiveMQ network message broker

Tim Bain
Also, if your broker-to-broker network connections are dropping, you'll see
reconnect messages in the broker logs, so you don't need a separate tool to
detect the problem.
On Apr 10, 2015 7:50 AM, "Tim Bain" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 5.10.2 and 5.11.1 are the latest versions.  5.10.1 has a memory leak; if
> you're upgrading anyway, that's not the one to upgrade to.
> On Apr 10, 2015 7:29 AM, "katamareddy" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi artnaseef,
>>
>> Thanks for the inputs.  As you suggested, we will update the ActiveMQ
>> version to latest 5.10.1.
>> The topic subscription are non-durable for each broker in the network. Do
>> we
>> want to configure to durable topic subscriptions? I would need to check
>> the
>> network connection stability. is there any network monitors, and ActiveMQ
>> monitor tools so that tool can generate alerts whenever there is some
>> abnormal conditions happens(in terms of memory, no of messages etc)?
>> thanks,Reddy.

Re: Messages are lost in a ActiveMQ network message broker

katamareddy
Hi artnaseef,

Since i am stuck in making/configuring durable subscriptions between the brokers.Can you pls help to configure the durable topic subscriptions between brokers  to handle network connection issues as you suggested?.Thanks. Katama reddy