Message (re)delivery and activemq

n999999
Hello

Sorry this is possibly a newbie question and not specifically to do with
ActiveMQ although ActiveMQ is a player.

We are using a ESB (Talend) and are trying to think about our design of
Routes where message order is vital (for example:  message 1 is an order and
message 2 is a cancel).  And specifically under the condition where an
invalid message (say message 1 is invalid) is encountered and moved to an
error queue for inspection. In this simple scenario, we would want message 2
to be blocked until message 1 is manually fixed.

ActiveMQ seems to have concepts around Message Groups to band messages
together and also a strictOrderDispatchPolicy and transactions,  and I think
there is blocking redelivery?

These are all concepts I have googled but I've not found anything that pulls
these concepts together to explain how we might implement what we want.

I think the ESB has to take some responsibility here but I'm trying to
understand what can be done in ActiveMQ natively and out of the box.

Apologies for the lack of specificity, but I hope people have some
experience they can share?

Many thanks

Re: Message (re)delivery and activemq

jbonofre
Hi,

Not sure message group is exactly what you need.

Definitely, ActiveMQ queueing and redelivery can help there, but the
Came routes logic of messages dependency should stay there.

I think that you can achieve something on the Camel/ESB side using
client ack. Then, after redelivery count exceeded in ActiveMQ, the
message is moved to DLQ.
A manual action should be done on messages moved to DLQ.

If you need more details about that, don't hesitate to ping directly. I
will have some questions about your use case and we can figure out a
good impl.

Regards
JB

On 19/11/2019 13:25, n999999 wrote:

> Hello
>
> Sorry this is possibly a newbie question and not specifically to do with
> ActiveMQ although ActiveMQ is a player.
>
> We are using a ESB (Talend) and are trying to think about our design of
> Routes where message order is vital (for example:  message 1 is an order and
> message 2 is a cancel).  And specifically under the condition where an
> invalid message (say message 1 is invalid) is encountered and moved to an
> error queue for inspection. In this simple scenario, we would want message 2
> to be blocked until message 1 is manually fixed.
>
> ActiveMQ seems to have concepts around Message Groups to band messages
> together and also a strictOrderDispatchPolicy and transactions,  and I think
> there is blocking redelivery?
>
> These are all concepts I have googled but I've not found anything that pulls
> these concepts together to explain how we might implement what we want.
>
> I think the ESB has to take some responsibility here but I'm trying to
> understand what can be done in ActiveMQ natively and out of the box.
>
> Apologies for the lack of specificity, but I hope people have some
> experience they can share?
>
> Many thanks

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]