Message Dequeued count increases by a lot after a message is failed to send to a subscriber

kj

Message Dequeued count increases by a lot after a message is failed to send to a subscriber

kj
This post was updated on .
This is the story:

I am testing whether messages are sent to the DLQ if a subscriber has failed
to receive a message.

I start off with the following settings.

Topic = topic1
Messages Enqueued = 0
Messages Dequeued = 0
Number of subscribers to topic1 = 1
Retry policy count = 0

I post a message to topic1 using the ActiveMQ web console. The subscriber
receives the message as expected and it throws a runtime exception as
expected. I except the message to be sent to the DLQ and that happens as
expected. After this all happens I check the number of messages enqueued and
it says 1, which is expected. I check the number of messages dequeued and it
says 2, which is what I don't understand. I'm under the assumption that it
should say 1.

Also, if I increase the retry count then the dequeued count increases significantly more. Does the broker dequeue the message for every retry?

Could someone please clarify whether why the count is 2?

Thank You

Re: Message Dequeued count increases by a lot after a message is failed to send to a subscriber

Tim Bain
That sounds like a bug.

What version of ActiveMQ are you using? If it's anything before 5.14.x, can
you please try a newer version (5.15.2, ideally) to confirm that it still
occurs in a current version?

kj

Re: Message Dequeued count increases by a lot after a message is failed to send to a subscriber

kj
I'm using version 5.15.0. I will download 5.15.2 and test whether I can
reproduce this. Will keep you updated.

Thanks

Re: Message Dequeued count increases by a lot after a message is failed to send to a subscriber

Tim Bain
5.15.0 is recent enough; I just wanted to make sure that you weren't using
a version 5.10 or earlier, because there were a number of
statistics-related bugs in the 5.6-5.10 range and I'd hate to be chasing
something that's already been solved.

Since it sounds like a bug, please submit a bug in JIRA for it. If
possible, please include anything you can that would help someone reliably
reproduce the problem: config files, test driver scripts or programs, etc.
Even better would be to create a JUnit test that demonstrates the problem
(and then could be used to confirm the fix once one is made),  if that's
possible. If not, then at least provide whatever you think we'd need to
reproduce the problem in a manual fashion, and the implementor of the fix
will implement the unit test as well.

Tim