Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

xabhi
Hi,
I have producer which constantly is sending messages to the topic and i can see that messages are enqueued in the topic and dispatched also and i see that there are subscribers which are receiving messages. The problem is that the dequeue count in jconsole is still shown as zero even though the subscribers are receiving messages.

Has anybody faced a similar problem before? Please help me, I am really stuck on this.

Thanks,
Abhi

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

xabhi
I found this link  and performed a little test and found that

1. The dequeue count increases for non-durable subscribers (session transacted was true).
2. The dequeue count does not increase for durable subscribers (session transacted was true) and other counts like enqueue, dispatch increases normally. The strange part is inflight count is zero and dequeue count is also zero but dispatch (= inflight+dequeue) is equal to enqueue. How is this possible?

Is this an expected behavior ? can anybody from activemq dev team confirm this behavior??

There is no documentation regarding this. Ideally, i would expect the dequeue count to increase in case of durable subscribers also.

Thanks,
Abhi

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

ceposta
are you looking at a topic mbean specifically? you should look at the
specific subscription mbeans to determine inflight/dequeue metrics

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 2:15 AM, xabhi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I found this  link <http://fusesource.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=16510>
> and performed a little test and found that
>
> 1. The dequeue count increases for non-durable subscribers (session
> transacted was true).
> 2. The dequeue count does not increase for durable subscribers (session
> transacted was true) and other counts like enqueue, dispatch increases
> normally. The strange part is inflight count is zero and dequeue count is
> also zero but dispatch (= inflight+dequeue) is equal to enqueue. How is this
> possible?
>
> Is this an expected behavior ? can anybody from activemq dev team confirm
> this behavior??
>
> There is no documentation regarding this. Ideally, i would expect the
> dequeue count to increase in case of durable subscribers also.
>
> Thanks,
> Abhi

Christian Posta
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

xabhi
Thanks for the reply.

I am looking at the topic mbean. The dequeue count in topic mbean is 0 even if the subscribers is receiving and processing messages. Does this mean that messages are not removed from the topic and are still available?

How come dequeue counter is not zero in cases where I have non-durable subscribers? What is the difference here ? I am not able to understand this.

Thanks.
Abhi

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

artnaseef
Topics never store messages.  Inside the broker, messages produced to Topics are dispatched to the Topic subscriptions, which themselves may store messages.

So, the dequeue count on the Topic has little meaning.

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

xabhi
Thanks for reply artnassef.
My question is  Why dequeue count for a topic is not zero in cases where I have non-durable subscribers whereas it is zero if my topic has only durable subscriber.

Can anyone explain this behavior?

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

xabhi
Can anybody from ActiveMQ team explain this behavior?

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

ceposta
There really isn't a good explanation for that as far as I can tell.
The regular Topic Subs make a call back to the destination... but as
Art explained, the dequeue count on a topic is not very meaningful...
the important enqueue/inflight/dequeue counts are on the
subscription... might be worth changing this so it doesn't update
topic dequeue counts at all.

twitter: @christianposta

Thanks for reply christian.
Yeah it would be good if the metrics work in same way for both durable and non-durable subscribers. It would also be nice if it was documented somewhere in ActiveMQ docs as I couldn't find any information about this behavior in ActiveMQ docs.

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

ceposta
Can u open a jira for this?

On Wednesday, January 8, 2014, xabhi wrote:

> Thanks for reply christian.
> Yeah it would be good if the metrics work in same way for both durable and
> non-durable subscribers. It would also be nice if it was documented
> somewhere in ActiveMQ docs as I couldn't find any information about this
> behavior in ActiveMQ docs.

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

xabhi

Re: Message Dequeue count in jconsole 0 even after messages are recieved and consumed by subscribers

rajdavies
thanks!

On 10 Jan 2014, at 07:45, xabhi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rob Davies
————————
Red Hat, Inc
http://hawt.io - #dontcha