Incorrect inflight count for topic subscription

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Incorrect inflight count for topic subscription

samdowning
Hi,
For one of my topics, I am seeing following destination statistics:
dequeue count: 5556
dispatch count: 5556
enqueue count: 5557
inflight count: 5556
queue size: 0

And the consumer on this topic has following stats:
consumed count: 5556
dequeue counter: 5556
dispatched counter: 5556
enqueue counter: 5556
MessageCountAwaitingAcknowledge: 0
durable: false
Pending queue size: 0
prefetch size:32767

My question is why does inflight count here has a non-zero value? According to this link
http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-find-the-size-of-a-queue.html, dispatch count = dequeue count + inflight count. Which is certainly wrong here.

Inflight messages are messages which are sent to consumer but not yet acknowledged as I understand it, but the MessageCountAwaitingAcknowledge count on consumer is 0 which means no messages are pending unacknowledged. So, why does the destination topic stats show the inflight count as non-zero?

Strange this is this keeps increasing as the enqueue and dequeue, dispatch counts increase.

Please help!
Thanks,
Sam
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Incorrect inflight count for topic subscription

ceposta
Only the subscription stats for a subscriber are accurate. Don't think the
topic stats for inflight and "queue size" mean the same thing as queues.

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 3:09 AM, samdowning <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
> For one of my topics, I am seeing following destination statistics:
> dequeue count: 5556
> dispatch count: 5556
> enqueue count: 5557
> inflight count: 5556
> queue size: 0
>
> And the consumer on this topic has following stats:
> consumed count: 5556
> dequeue counter: 5556
> dispatched counter: 5556
> enqueue counter: 5556
> MessageCountAwaitingAcknowledge: 0
> durable: false
> Pending queue size: 0
> prefetch size:32767
>
> My question is why does inflight count here has a non-zero value? According
> to this link
> http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-find-the-size-of-a-queue.html
> <http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-find-the-size-of-a-queue.html>  ,
> dispatch count = dequeue count + inflight count. Which is certainly wrong
> here.
>
> Inflight messages are messages which are sent to consumer but not yet
> acknowledged as I understand it, but the MessageCountAwaitingAcknowledge
> count on consumer is 0 which means no messages are pending unacknowledged.
> So, why does the destination topic stats show the inflight count as
> non-zero?
>
> Strange this is this keeps increasing as the enqueue and dequeue, dispatch
> counts increase.
>
> Please help!
> Thanks,
> Sam
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Incorrect-inflight-count-for-topic-subscription-tp4693602.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>



--
*Christian Posta*
twitter: @christianposta
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
http://fabric8.io
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Incorrect inflight count for topic subscription

samdowning
>>Don't think the topic stats for inflight and "queue size" mean the same thing as queues

Then what is would the interpretation of inflight and queue size in case of topic stats?

How do I know which topic stats to consider and which not to consider? I didn't find any documentation in this regard?

Thanks,
Sam
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Incorrect inflight count for topic subscription

Tim Bain
Christian,

If the JXM attribute names aren't self-documenting (as you're implying),
then the documentation at http://activemq.apache.org/jmx.html isn't
sufficient since all it provides is the names.  Can you add explanations of
any attributes you know of that aren't what a newbie would expect to
http://activemq.apache.org/jmx.html (maybe as a bullet list below the
tables)?

Thanks,
Tim

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:00 AM, samdowning <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> >>Don't think the topic stats for inflight and "queue size" mean the same
> thing as queues
>
> Then what is would the interpretation of inflight and queue size in case of
> topic stats?
>
> How do I know which topic stats to consider and which not to consider? I
> didn't find any documentation in this regard?
>
> Thanks,
> Sam
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Incorrect-inflight-count-for-topic-subscription-tp4693602p4693656.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Incorrect inflight count for topic subscription

Tim Bain
Christian, any chance you might be willing to document on the webpage the
proper interpretation of those JMX stats for topics so you don't have to
answer questions like this one in the future?
On Mar 24, 2015 1:24 PM, "Tim Bain" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christian,
>
> If the JXM attribute names aren't self-documenting (as you're implying),
> then the documentation at http://activemq.apache.org/jmx.html isn't
> sufficient since all it provides is the names.  Can you add explanations of
> any attributes you know of that aren't what a newbie would expect to
> http://activemq.apache.org/jmx.html (maybe as a bullet list below the
> tables)?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:00 AM, samdowning <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> >>Don't think the topic stats for inflight and "queue size" mean the same
>> thing as queues
>>
>> Then what is would the interpretation of inflight and queue size in case
>> of
>> topic stats?
>>
>> How do I know which topic stats to consider and which not to consider? I
>> didn't find any documentation in this regard?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sam
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context:
>> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Incorrect-inflight-count-for-topic-subscription-tp4693602p4693656.html
>> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>
>