Hi - I'm considering writing a broker - is this the place to ask questions?

Hi - I'm considering writing a broker - is this the place to ask questions?

James Mansion-2
I have some questions about the protocol.

Is this (still) the best place to ask?

------

Starters (sure there will be more):

Is DISCONNECT ever sent by a broker, or just by a client?

In auto ACK mode, do we expect the broker to ack (similar to receipt) or
do we expect the ACK to be generated by the client library that receives
the message?

Are auto ACK automatically messages associated with the current transaction?

Can I BEGIN multiple transactions at once?  If so, which transaction
gets the auto ACK messages?

------

Is there any work ongoing to deliver a 1.1 spec?

Thanks
James

Re: Hi - I'm considering writing a broker - is this the place to ask questions?

Brian McCallister
On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 11:16 AM, James Mansion
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have some questions about the protocol.
>
> Is this (still) the best place to ask?

The best place, right now, is probably the spec mailing list at
http://groups.google.com/group/stomp-spec.

I have taken the liberty of cc'ing the list on this reply :-)

> Is DISCONNECT ever sent by a broker, or just by a client?

Just by a client

> In auto ACK mode, do we expect the broker to ack (similar to receipt) or do
> we expect the ACK to be generated by the client library that receives the
> message?

Huh, this is odd. i really don't remember "default is auto" in the
spec, but I do see it. This may be my crap memory, or it may be the
fact that the spec lived on a wiki for along time, and the biggest
users tend to think in JMS semantics.

As near as i can tell, ACK auto is meaningless, and should probably be
removed in 1.1

> Are auto ACK automatically messages associated with the current transaction?

No. There is no transactional receive without client ACKs.

> Can I BEGIN multiple transactions at once?

Yes.

>If so, which transaction gets the auto ACK messages?

See previous.

> ------
>
> Is there any work ongoing to deliver a 1.1 spec?

Yep! on [hidden email]

Current 1.1 draft spec: http://stomp.github.com/stomp-specification-1-1.html
Work on spec happening at: http://github.com/stomp/