[Heads up] new visualisation plugin available

[Heads up] new visualisation plugin available

James Strachan-2
After being inspired by Gregor & Erik's talk at TSSJS 2 days ago, I
hacked up a broker plugin to visualise the topic and queue
hierarchy...

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/ACTIVEMQ/Visualisation

I'm sure we could do much more of this kind of thing - particularly on
ServiceMix too - to help folks visualise the current system topology
and configuration.

--

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [Heads up] new visualisation plugin available

OG-4
Very nice.  Put some IP addresses there and refresh the DOT file periodically with some numbers/stats, and I'll start drooling.

Otis

On 3/27/06, OG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very nice.  Put some IP addresses there and refresh the DOT file periodically with some numbers/stats, and I'll start drooling.

You read my mind :)

So right now this DOT file is real time; every time a destination is
added/removed we regenerate the DOT file. So using the OS X tool, we
get a real time graphical view. (We could hopefully add a kinda
web/ajax client on top of this to get real time visualisations on the
management portal too).

The part I really want us to do is to graphically represent how
connections, sessions, consumers & producers relate to brokers &
destinations within the brokers; together with stats. There's a ton of
useful visualisations we can do - our only limitation here is our
imagination.

I've put together a visualisation wish list wiki page...
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/ACTIVEMQ/Visualisation+Wish+List

please if you can think of any interesting ideas for what we could
visualise or how it could look, please add a note. Better still try
patch the code to do it :)

BTW if you are interested - here's the code for the real time
rendering of the destination hierarchies....
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/activemq/trunk/activemq-core/src/main/java/org/apache/activemq/broker/view/

as you can see its pretty simple stuff; we've a ton of stats and
information inside the broker that it'll be really easy to render as
some kind of picture

--

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [Heads up] new visualisation plugin available

James Strachan-2
I've just completed a second, more impressive visualisation that shows
all the connections on a broker together with the producers and
consumers, showing the flow of connection -> producer -> destination
-> subscriber -> connection.

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/ACTIVEMQ/Visualisation

To minimise noise I've left off the actual session objects from the
graph; you can kinda figure that out by the numbers in each
producer/consumer (the first number is the session and the second the
producer/consumer number)

James