[HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

[HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

jbonofre
Hi guys,

I would like to move forward on ActiveMQ releases:

- ActiveMQ 5.15.12
I'm preparing several dependency updates and important fixes on the
activemq-5.15.x branch. It includes some security fixes, postgresql jdbc
store performance improvements, ...
I have some PRs under review and on the fly, so, I plan to submit
5.15.12 to vote next week.

- ActiveMQ 5.16.0
I did a full pass (standalone and in Apache Karaf) with JDK 11. The
broker works without problem, including on Karaf 4.2.8.
However, it's not currently possible to fully build with JDK 11. I have
a branch where I did the required changes (remove the use of tools.jar
in openwire generator, add annotation and jaxb dependency in different
modules, update scala for leveldb, ...).
The question that I have is about what's the exact target for 5.16.0:
1. We still build ActiveMQ 5.16.x with JDK8, but it supports both JDK8
or JDK11 at runtime.
2. I do the changes required to build with JDK11, and then we will only
support JDK11 at runtime.
Thoughts ?
Anyway, I would like to submit 5.16.0 to vote asap, so please, let me
know what you think about JDK support (build or/and runtime).

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

christopher.l.shannon
We definitely do not want to remove JDK 8 support for 5.16.0 so my vote is
for option 1.  I think it's fine if we build with JDK 8 as long as it
supports JDK 8 - 11 at runtime.

For 5.17.0 we can work on building with JDK 11.  For one thing I think we
should just make it easier on ourselves and remove LevelDB entirely as it
has been deprecated now for several major versions and there isn't any
reason to keep it at around at this point.

tabish121@gmail.com
On 1/28/20 2:22 PM, Christopher Shannon wrote:
> We definitely do not want to remove JDK 8 support for 5.16.0 so my vote is
> for option 1.  I think it's fine if we build with JDK 8 as long as it
> supports JDK 8 - 11 at runtime.
>
> For 5.17.0 we can work on building with JDK 11.  For one thing I think we
> should just make it easier on ourselves and remove LevelDB entirely as it
> has been deprecated now for several major versions and there isn't any
> reason to keep it at around at this point.

+1

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 7:58 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I would like to move forward on ActiveMQ releases:
>>
>> - ActiveMQ 5.15.12
>> I'm preparing several dependency updates and important fixes on the
>> activemq-5.15.x branch. It includes some security fixes, postgresql jdbc
>> store performance improvements, ...
>> I have some PRs under review and on the fly, so, I plan to submit
>> 5.15.12 to vote next week.
>>
>> - ActiveMQ 5.16.0
>> I did a full pass (standalone and in Apache Karaf) with JDK 11. The
>> broker works without problem, including on Karaf 4.2.8.
>> However, it's not currently possible to fully build with JDK 11. I have
>> a branch where I did the required changes (remove the use of tools.jar
>> in openwire generator, add annotation and jaxb dependency in different
>> modules, update scala for leveldb, ...).
>> The question that I have is about what's the exact target for 5.16.0:
>> 1. We still build ActiveMQ 5.16.x with JDK8, but it supports both JDK8
>> or JDK11 at runtime.
>> 2. I do the changes required to build with JDK11, and then we will only
>> support JDK11 at runtime.
>> Thoughts ?
>> Anyway, I would like to submit 5.16.0 to vote asap, so please, let me
>> know what you think about JDK support (build or/and runtime).
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

Matt Pavlovich-2
Hey JBO-

Thanks for your efforts on this. I’d like to see a JDK 11 runtime. No preference 5.16.x v 5.17.x.

-Matt

> On Jan 28, 2020, at 6:57 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to move forward on ActiveMQ releases:
>
> - ActiveMQ 5.15.12
> I'm preparing several dependency updates and important fixes on the
> activemq-5.15.x branch. It includes some security fixes, postgresql jdbc
> store performance improvements, ...
> I have some PRs under review and on the fly, so, I plan to submit
> 5.15.12 to vote next week.
>
> - ActiveMQ 5.16.0
> I did a full pass (standalone and in Apache Karaf) with JDK 11. The
> broker works without problem, including on Karaf 4.2.8.
> However, it's not currently possible to fully build with JDK 11. I have
> a branch where I did the required changes (remove the use of tools.jar
> in openwire generator, add annotation and jaxb dependency in different
> modules, update scala for leveldb, ...).
> The question that I have is about what's the exact target for 5.16.0:
> 1. We still build ActiveMQ 5.16.x with JDK8, but it supports both JDK8
> or JDK11 at runtime.
> 2. I do the changes required to build with JDK11, and then we will only
> support JDK11 at runtime.
> Thoughts ?
> Anyway, I would like to submit 5.16.0 to vote asap, so please, let me
> know what you think about JDK support (build or/and runtime).
>
> Regards
> JB
> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

Matt Pavlovich-2

> On Jan 28, 2020, at 1:22 PM, Christopher Shannon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We definitely do not want to remove JDK 8 support for 5.16.0 so my vote is
> for option 1.  I think it's fine if we build with JDK 8 as long as it
> supports JDK 8 - 11 at runtime.
>
> For 5.17.0 we can work on building with JDK 11.  For one thing I think we
> should just make it easier on ourselves and remove LevelDB entirely as it
> has been deprecated now for several major versions and there isn't any
> reason to keep it at around at this point.

+1 dropping levelDB

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 7:58 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I would like to move forward on ActiveMQ releases:
>>
>> - ActiveMQ 5.15.12
>> I'm preparing several dependency updates and important fixes on the
>> activemq-5.15.x branch. It includes some security fixes, postgresql jdbc
>> store performance improvements, ...
>> I have some PRs under review and on the fly, so, I plan to submit
>> 5.15.12 to vote next week.
>>
>> - ActiveMQ 5.16.0
>> I did a full pass (standalone and in Apache Karaf) with JDK 11. The
>> broker works without problem, including on Karaf 4.2.8.
>> However, it's not currently possible to fully build with JDK 11. I have
>> a branch where I did the required changes (remove the use of tools.jar
>> in openwire generator, add annotation and jaxb dependency in different
>> modules, update scala for leveldb, ...).
>> The question that I have is about what's the exact target for 5.16.0:
>> 1. We still build ActiveMQ 5.16.x with JDK8, but it supports both JDK8
>> or JDK11 at runtime.
>> 2. I do the changes required to build with JDK11, and then we will only
>> support JDK11 at runtime.
>> Thoughts ?
>> Anyway, I would like to submit 5.16.0 to vote asap, so please, let me
>> know what you think about JDK support (build or/and runtime).
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> [hidden email]
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

jbonofre
Hi Christopher,

OK, so, I will move forward on 5.16.0 with JDK11 support at runtime.

I will focus on JDK11 build + LevelDB cleanup + other
cleanup/refactoring for 5.17.0.

So, let me move forward on 5.16.0 as it's now ready ;)

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

Colm O hEigeartaigh
Hi all,

If LevelDB is deprecated for several major versions, I'm wondering if we
should just not remove it in 5.16.0 instead of waiting til 5.17.0?

Colm.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 5:40 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Christopher,
>
> OK, so, I will move forward on 5.16.0 with JDK11 support at runtime.
>
> I will focus on JDK11 build + LevelDB cleanup + other
> cleanup/refactoring for 5.17.0.
>
> So, let me move forward on 5.16.0 as it's now ready ;)
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 28/01/2020 20:22, Christopher Shannon wrote:
> > We definitely do not want to remove JDK 8 support for 5.16.0 so my vote
> is
> > for option 1.  I think it's fine if we build with JDK 8 as long as it
> > supports JDK 8 - 11 at runtime.
> >
> > For 5.17.0 we can work on building with JDK 11.  For one thing I think we
> > should just make it easier on ourselves and remove LevelDB entirely as it
> > has been deprecated now for several major versions and there isn't any
> > reason to keep it at around at this point.
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 7:58 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> I would like to move forward on ActiveMQ releases:
> >>
> >> - ActiveMQ 5.15.12
> >> I'm preparing several dependency updates and important fixes on the
> >> activemq-5.15.x branch. It includes some security fixes, postgresql jdbc
> >> store performance improvements, ...
> >> I have some PRs under review and on the fly, so, I plan to submit
> >> 5.15.12 to vote next week.
> >>
> >> - ActiveMQ 5.16.0
> >> I did a full pass (standalone and in Apache Karaf) with JDK 11. The
> >> broker works without problem, including on Karaf 4.2.8.
> >> However, it's not currently possible to fully build with JDK 11. I have
> >> a branch where I did the required changes (remove the use of tools.jar
> >> in openwire generator, add annotation and jaxb dependency in different
> >> modules, update scala for leveldb, ...).
> >> The question that I have is about what's the exact target for 5.16.0:
> >> 1. We still build ActiveMQ 5.16.x with JDK8, but it supports both JDK8
> >> or JDK11 at runtime.
> >> 2. I do the changes required to build with JDK11, and then we will only
> >> support JDK11 at runtime.
> >> Thoughts ?
> >> Anyway, I would like to submit 5.16.0 to vote asap, so please, let me
> >> know what you think about JDK support (build or/and runtime).
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> JB
> >> --
> >> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> >> Talend - http://www.talend.com
> >>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

christopher.l.shannon
I am good with removing it from either but 5.17.0 might be better because
we can send out a notice to the mailing lists and give users time to
prepare in case anyone is still using it.  The primary motivation to remove
it now vs leaving it is so we don't have to worry about the Scala upgrade
and JDK 11 which won't be a problem until 5.17.0.  I found the original
vote thread I started on it and it was back in November 2016 so it's been
deprecated now for quite a long time so if people really want to remove it
for 5.16.0 I won't object to that either.

Original thread:
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-LevelDB-deprecation-td4719227.html

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 5:30 AM Colm O hEigeartaigh <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If LevelDB is deprecated for several major versions, I'm wondering if we
> should just not remove it in 5.16.0 instead of waiting til 5.17.0?
>
> Colm.
>
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 5:40 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Christopher,
> >
> > OK, so, I will move forward on 5.16.0 with JDK11 support at runtime.
> >
> > I will focus on JDK11 build + LevelDB cleanup + other
> > cleanup/refactoring for 5.17.0.
> >
> > So, let me move forward on 5.16.0 as it's now ready ;)
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> >
> > On 28/01/2020 20:22, Christopher Shannon wrote:
> > > We definitely do not want to remove JDK 8 support for 5.16.0 so my vote
> > is
> > > for option 1.  I think it's fine if we build with JDK 8 as long as it
> > > supports JDK 8 - 11 at runtime.
> > >
> > > For 5.17.0 we can work on building with JDK 11.  For one thing I think
> we
> > > should just make it easier on ourselves and remove LevelDB entirely as
> it
> > > has been deprecated now for several major versions and there isn't any
> > > reason to keep it at around at this point.

> jdbc

> have
> only

> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> > [hidden email]
> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
> > Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

jbonofre
Technically it's possible, but I would inform the users first.

So, 5.17.x gives us time to do so.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

jbonofre
Hi guys,

Just a quick update about these releases.

Basically, I have two actions to complete before the releases:

1. Performance improvements for PostgreSQL JDBC adapter.
2. STOMP log messages cleanup/improvements

I’m fully committed and focused on these release, I will submit both to vote asap.

Sorry for the delay, but PostgreSQL JDBC adapter performance improvements are very important (reported by several users).

I keep you posted soon.

Regards
JB

> Le 28 janv. 2020 à 13:57, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to move forward on ActiveMQ releases:
>
> - ActiveMQ 5.15.12
> I'm preparing several dependency updates and important fixes on the
> activemq-5.15.x branch. It includes some security fixes, postgresql jdbc
> store performance improvements, ...
> I have some PRs under review and on the fly, so, I plan to submit
> 5.15.12 to vote next week.
>
> - ActiveMQ 5.16.0
> I did a full pass (standalone and in Apache Karaf) with JDK 11. The
> broker works without problem, including on Karaf 4.2.8.
> However, it's not currently possible to fully build with JDK 11. I have
> a branch where I did the required changes (remove the use of tools.jar
> in openwire generator, add annotation and jaxb dependency in different
> modules, update scala for leveldb, ...).
> The question that I have is about what's the exact target for 5.16.0:
> 1. We still build ActiveMQ 5.16.x with JDK8, but it supports both JDK8
> or JDK11 at runtime.
> 2. I do the changes required to build with JDK11, and then we will only
> support JDK11 at runtime.
> Thoughts ?
> Anyway, I would like to submit 5.16.0 to vote asap, so please, let me
> know what you think about JDK support (build or/and runtime).
>
> Regards
> JB
> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

jbonofre
Hi guys,

New update about the ActiveMQ releases.

I only have one Jira to address. It will be fixed today.

So, I plan to submit 5.15.12 to vote tonight and 5.16.0 tomorrow or during the weekend.

Regards
JB

> Le 28 janv. 2020 à 13:57, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to move forward on ActiveMQ releases:
>
> - ActiveMQ 5.15.12
> I'm preparing several dependency updates and important fixes on the
> activemq-5.15.x branch. It includes some security fixes, postgresql jdbc
> store performance improvements, ...
> I have some PRs under review and on the fly, so, I plan to submit
> 5.15.12 to vote next week.
>
> - ActiveMQ 5.16.0
> I did a full pass (standalone and in Apache Karaf) with JDK 11. The
> broker works without problem, including on Karaf 4.2.8.
> However, it's not currently possible to fully build with JDK 11. I have
> a branch where I did the required changes (remove the use of tools.jar
> in openwire generator, add annotation and jaxb dependency in different
> modules, update scala for leveldb, ...).
> The question that I have is about what's the exact target for 5.16.0:
> 1. We still build ActiveMQ 5.16.x with JDK8, but it supports both JDK8
> or JDK11 at runtime.
> 2. I do the changes required to build with JDK11, and then we will only
> support JDK11 at runtime.
> Thoughts ?
> Anyway, I would like to submit 5.16.0 to vote asap, so please, let me
> know what you think about JDK support (build or/and runtime).
>
> Regards
> JB
> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

W B D
I thought it had already been decided that 5.16 would continue to support
JDK 8 but run under either JDK. I wonder if the JDK11 support could be
templated or conditionally selected with different build profiles so it
could be merged into the release branch?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 10:18 PM Jean-Baptiste Onofre <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> New update about the ActiveMQ releases.
>
> I only have one Jira to address. It will be fixed today.
>
> So, I plan to submit 5.15.12 to vote tonight and 5.16.0 tomorrow or during
> the weekend.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> > Le 28 janv. 2020 à 13:57, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I would like to move forward on ActiveMQ releases:
> >
> > - ActiveMQ 5.15.12
> > I'm preparing several dependency updates and important fixes on the
> > activemq-5.15.x branch. It includes some security fixes, postgresql jdbc
> > store performance improvements, ...
> > I have some PRs under review and on the fly, so, I plan to submit
> > 5.15.12 to vote next week.
> >
> > - ActiveMQ 5.16.0
> > I did a full pass (standalone and in Apache Karaf) with JDK 11. The
> > broker works without problem, including on Karaf 4.2.8.
> > However, it's not currently possible to fully build with JDK 11. I have
> > a branch where I did the required changes (remove the use of tools.jar
> > in openwire generator, add annotation and jaxb dependency in different
> > modules, update scala for leveldb, ...).
> > The question that I have is about what's the exact target for 5.16.0:
> > 1. We still build ActiveMQ 5.16.x with JDK8, but it supports both JDK8
> > or JDK11 at runtime.
> > 2. I do the changes required to build with JDK11, and then we will only
> > support JDK11 at runtime.
> > Thoughts ?
> > Anyway, I would like to submit 5.16.0 to vote asap, so please, let me
> > know what you think about JDK support (build or/and runtime).
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> > [hidden email]
> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
> > Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [HEADS UP] Apache ActiveMQ 5.15.12 and ActiveMQ 5.16.0

jbonofre
Hi,

ActiveMQ 5.16.0 will still be build with JDK8 but fully support JDK11+ at runtime (standalone or Karaf embedded).

That’s the target and it’s fair enough.

ActiveMQ 5.17.0 will both include JMS 2.0 support + build with JDK 11.

Regards
JB