Fwd: Contributing to the Apache Docker Account

Fwd: Contributing to the Apache Docker Account

bsnyder-2
John, can you help out Victor with his request to contribute his image to
the ASF account at Docker Hub? It looks like you were the last one to
respond to Victor's request who has knowledge of the ASF account at Docker
Hub.

Is there anyone else who can help Victor get his Docker image contributed
so that it can be listed under the ASF account at Docker Hub?

Bruce

Re: Contributing to the Apache Docker Account

vromero
Hi Bruce,

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

> John, can you help out Victor with his request to contribute his image to
> the ASF account at Docker Hub? It looks like you were the last one to
> respond to Victor's request who has knowledge of the ASF account at Docker
> Hub.
>
> Is there anyone else who can help Victor get his Docker image contributed
> so that it can be listed under the ASF account at Docker Hub?
>
> Bruce

Bruce Snyder
Well so far nobody has responded. So I have no idea who controls it. We
need to find out who controls access to the ASF account at Docker Hub.

Bruce

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: Contributing to the Apache Docker Account

John D. Ament-2
I believe that's an infra question

On Jul 29, 2016 15:47, "Bruce Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well so far nobody has responded. So I have no idea who controls it. We
> need to find out who controls access to the ASF account at Docker Hub.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Victor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> Any information would be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks

>>> John, can you help out Victor with his request to contribute his image
>>> to the ASF account at Docker Hub? It looks like you were the last one to
>>> respond to Victor's request who has knowledge of the ASF account at Docker
>>> Hub.
>>>
>>> Is there anyone else who can help Victor get his Docker image
>>> contributed so that it can be listed under the ASF account at Docker Hub?
>>>
>>> Bruce

But yes I'll take care of it

On Jul 29, 2016 15:51, "John D. Ament" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I believe that's an infra question
>
> On Jul 29, 2016 15:47, "Bruce Snyder" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Well so far nobody has responded. So I have no idea who controls it. We
>> need to find out who controls access to the ASF account at Docker Hub.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 1:02 PM, Victor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>>
>>> Any information would be highly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Hey Victor,

To clarify.  I'm expecting that a build of artemis results in the creation
(and publishing) of a docker container.  This container represents the
underlying build artifact.  This is known as the "latest" in docker.  When
doing a release, i expect something similar.

The ASF only does automatic docker builds.  Not manual.  Based on input I
got from our infra, its never a separate repo, always in the same repo.
Granted we don't have a ton of examples yet, but that seems to be the go-to
(and realistically represents a true CI/CD pattern for completely running
apps like this).

The actual creation of the container is a separate step in jenkins.  So
once the current dockerfile is donated, pointing to a different location
for the binary, I can carry out the steps w/ infra to setup the docker
builds.  There shouldn't be a reason to point to a remote location for the
binary as a result, it'll all be local to the workspace.  I'll probably
need to setup some kind of job to build releases, but shouldn't be a big
issue.

You can find a few examples out on our ASF hub page -
https://hub.docker.com/u/apache/.  Thrift is the most curious one from my
POV.  It actually builds thrift on the image, and uses an entry point to
allow extension (e.g. execution of thrift).

Also apologies, I missed that this fell off the dev list.

John

On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 1:30 AM Victor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> .
>
> Also SNAPSHOTs would generate an interesting scenario when releasing
> versions, as the docker file for a snapshot would be different than the
> dockerfile of a RELEASE. Therefor, someone (I can do it if necessary) has
> to make sure the Dockerfile is updated accordingly by taking the dockerfile
> from the latest release version (or uncomment code perhaps). Therefor I'd
> discard the obvious workarounds (see below two examples):
>
>    - Curlling the maven metadata
>    <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml>
>    of the SNAPSHOT, and with xmlstarlet extract the latest version.
>    - Using the nexus api
>    <https://repository.apache.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=snapshots&g=org.apache.activemq&a=apache-artemis&v=LATEST>
>    (although I haven been able to make it work, but just spent 10m). Tied to
>    an specific maven repo software. Unclear to me how to validate
>
> Even if we forget about the SNAPSHOTS, there has to be a clear release
> mechanism if the dockerfile lives inside of the main repo. Because it does
> download releases versions from an external site (not from the reactor) and
> validates against a manually given signature.
>
> The approaches I see are:
>
>    1. Non automatic dockerhub build. Build and upload to dockerhub using
>    a maven plugin. Would ease maintenance. Users of dockerhub prefer automatic
>    builds, but overall it would be great experience both for users and
>    developers. Would probably make
>    2.  Automatic dockerhub build that actually builds Artemis in
>    dockerhub (skipping tests). The image that is meant to be as small as
>    possible, it will likely have some leftovers, probably not to many if done
>    carefully. This is the same approach marmotta
>    <https://github.com/apache/marmotta/blob/develop/Dockerfile> uses.
>    3. Use a different repo just as it is right now and ignore SNAPSHOTS.
>    Proven to work and I'd say 99% of the dockerhub projects work like that.
>
> 3 is the current path but I'll discard it for one single reason: no other
> apache project seems to follow it.
>
> Personally I don't want to go through the 1 route, as it would require the
> apache dockerhub credentials to be store in the apache CI. And I'm sure
> someone, somewhere would have problems with that. Otherwise is a perfectly
> valid approach.
>
> So unless you have any other idea, I'd go for the option 2 as soon as I
> can.

>> Hi John,
>>
>> Apologies I have just arrived back from a travel. I'll put it together
>> this very weekend and I'll let you know.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.

>>> Hey Victor,
>>>
>>> Just wondering if you were able to get this together? Unfortunately, the
>>> ActiveMQ permissions don't let me assign to you.

Hi John, devs

I hear your expectations and I'm following option two, the thrift/marmotta
approach for that reason.

There is some maintenance I'd like to happen to avoid ending up with images
like thrift, that only has *latest
<https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/thrift/tags/> *and not one tag per each
version as I'd like it to have. I can update RELEASING.md
<https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/blob/master/RELEASING.md> in
the same PR with some very short instructions on how to change the version
in the Dockerfile (very simple) on every release.

The whole *latest is meant to be SNAPSHOT* is an open and broader
discussion. But if the greater apache, as it seems, consider latest is a
non repeatable SNAPSHOT build, I'm happy with it.

> [...]
>>    <https://github.com/apache/marmotta/blob/develop/Dockerfile> uses.
>>    3. Use a different repo just as it is right now and ignore SNAPSHOTS.
>>    Proven to work and I'd say 99% of the dockerhub projects work like that.
>>
>> 3 is the current path but I'll discard it for one single reason: no other
>> apache project seems to follow it.
>>
>> Personally I don't want to go through the 1 route, as it would require
>> the apache dockerhub credentials to be store in the apache CI. And I'm sure
>> someone, somewhere would have problems with that. Otherwise is a perfectly
>> valid approach.
>>
>> So unless you have any other idea, I'd go for the option 2 as soon as I
>> can.

>>> Hi John,
>>>
>>> Apologies I have just arrived back from a travel. I'll put it together
>>> this very weekend and I'll let you know.

Dear devs,

I'm afraid I cannot create a good enough docker image as two constraints
clash:

- Cannot use a different repository (as per John's)
- Should have a proper docker specific README.md file in the docker hub
page (as per my personal preference).

This won't change unless, the issue 292
<https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/292> in docker hub gets
fixed.

I'll keep an eye on the issue in case it gets fixed (feb 18 they wrote
<https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/292#issuecomment-185811039>: *We
have a plan in place and will provide an update as soon as we can*) , and
will keep maintaining my personal docker image.

> [...]
>>>    dockerhub (skipping tests). The image that is meant to be as small as
>>>    possible, it will likely have some leftovers, probably not to many if done
>>>    carefully. This is the same approach marmotta
>>>    <https://github.com/apache/marmotta/blob/develop/Dockerfile> uses.
>>>    3. Use a different repo just as it is right now and ignore
>>>    SNAPSHOTS. Proven to work and I'd say 99% of the dockerhub projects work
>>>    like that.
>>>
>>> 3 is the current path but I'll discard it for one single reason: no
>>> other apache project seems to follow it.
>>>
>>> Personally I don't want to go through the 1 route, as it would require
>>> the apache dockerhub credentials to be store in the apache CI. And I'm sure
>>> someone, somewhere would have problems with that. Otherwise is a perfectly
>>> valid approach.
>>>
>>> So unless you have any other idea, I'd go for the option 2 as soon as I

Victor,

So just wondering.  From what I understand, docker simply pulls the README
from the current directory.  Couldn't we create a docker subdirectory in
the repo?

John

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 7:17 PM Victor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> apps like this).
> >>
> >> The actual creation of the container is a separate step in jenkins.  So
> >> once the current dockerfile is donated, pointing to a different location
> >> for the binary, I can carry out the steps w/ infra to setup the docker
> >> builds.  There shouldn't be a reason to point to a remote location for
> the
> >> binary as a result, it'll all be local to the workspace.  I'll probably
> >> need to setup some kind of job to build releases, but shouldn't be a big
> >> issue.
> >>
> >> You can find a few examples out on our ASF hub page -
> >> https://hub.docker.com/u/apache/.  Thrift is the most curious one from
> >> my POV.  It actually builds thrift on the image, and uses an entry
> point to
> >> allow extension (e.g. execution of thrift).
> >>
> >> Also apologies, I missed that this fell off the dev list.

No we can't, dockerhub will chroot to the directory where the dockerfile is
in, the build would be impossible.

The alternative, using the root folder, will leave us in a sub-standard
situation where the readme for the dockerhub page is the general project
readme, just like https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/thrift/ .

> [...]
> location
> > the
> probably
> big

> from
> > point to

> problem
> There
> > are
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT

> the
> > has
> > dockerfile
> > I'd

> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT/
> maven-metadata.xml

> > https://repository.apache.org/service/local/artifact/maven/
> redirect?r=snapshots&g=org.apache.activemq&a=apache-artemis&v=LATEST

Right, what I was thinking is that both the readme and the dockerfile live
in a subdirectory.  This way chroot works correctly.

John

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 1:50 AM Victor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > big

> > from
> > > point to

> > problem
> > There
> > > are
> > > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> > snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT

> releasing
> > the
> necessary)
> > > has
> > > dockerfile
> Therefor
> > > I'd

> > > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
> > snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT/
> > maven-metadata.xml

> > > https://repository.apache.org/service/local/artifact/maven/
> > redirect?r=snapshots&g=org.apache.activemq&a=apache-artemis&v=LATEST

The way I always wanted this was to have the CLI doing it:

./artemis -docker-create (parameters...)

But I always told that this doesn't make sense in the docker world.

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Victor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> apps like this).
>>>
>>> The actual creation of the container is a separate step in jenkins.  So
>>> once the current dockerfile is donated, pointing to a different location
>>> for the binary, I can carry out the steps w/ infra to setup the docker
>>> builds.  There shouldn't be a reason to point to a remote location for the
>>> binary as a result, it'll all be local to the workspace.  I'll probably
>>> need to setup some kind of job to build releases, but shouldn't be a big
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> You can find a few examples out on our ASF hub page -
>>> https://hub.docker.com/u/apache/.  Thrift is the most curious one from
>>> my POV.  It actually builds thrift on the image, and uses an entry point to
>>> allow extension (e.g. execution of thrift).
>>>
>>> Also apologies, I missed that this fell off the dev list.

You're correct, it doesn't.  Docker is all about preconfigured images.  You
could use this to generate a dockerfile, based on some base image that we
ship.

John

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:09 AM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> I hear your expectations and I'm following option two, the
> thrift/marmotta
> >> approach for that reason.
> >>
> >> There is some maintenance I'd like to happen to avoid ending up with
> >> images like thrift, that only has *latest
> >> <https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/thrift/tags/> *and not one tag per
> each
> >> version as I'd like it to have. I can update RELEASING.md
> >> <https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/blob/master/RELEASING.md>
> in
> >> the same PR with some very short instructions on how to change the
> version
> >> in the Dockerfile (very simple) on every release.
> >>
> >> The whole *latest is meant to be SNAPSHOT* is an open and broader
> >> discussion. But if the greater apache, as it seems, consider latest is a
> >> non repeatable SNAPSHOT build, I'm happy with it.

No, that is not possible as the rest of the sources are not available and
therefor the build cannot be done, i.e: cannot: ADD .. in a dockerfile

> [...]
> jenkins.
> > > So
> > > location
> > docker
> > for
> > > probably
> be a
> > > big

> > > from

> > > problem
> > > There
> > > snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT

> > releasing
> than
> > > the
> > necessary)
> > Therefor

> > > snapshots/org/apache/activemq/apache-artemis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT/
> > > maven-metadata.xml

> version.
> > > redirect?r=snapshots&g=org.apache.activemq&a=apache-artemis&v=LATEST

John D. Ament
Hi Victor,

Ok, I think that's based on some outdated information.  There's still some
discussions on going on other mailing lists, but it looks like right now
any concept of a snapshot docker container shouldn't be used.  Meaning what
you have right now will be perfect.

John

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 5:40 PM Victor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> No, that is not possible as the rest of the sources are not available and
> therefor the build cannot be done, i.e: cannot: ADD .. in a dockerfile

> > Hi Victor,
> >
> > Right, what I was thinking is that both the readme and the dockerfile
> live
> > in a subdirectory.  This way chroot works correctly.
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 1:50 AM Victor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > No we can't, dockerhub will chroot to the directory where the
> dockerfile
> > is
> > > in, the build would be impossible.
> > >
> > > The alternative, using the root folder, will leave us in a sub-standard
> > > situation where the readme for the dockerhub page is the general
> [...]

You might be thinking of docker itself where it is perfectly possible.
In docker hub, the issue 292
<https://github.com/docker/hub-feedback/issues/292> is still open.

>  There's still some discussions on going on other mailing lists,
> but it looks like right now any concept of a snapshot docker
> container shouldn't be used.  Meaning what you have right now
> will be perfect.

Great news!

As activemq-artemis only has a master branch (or at least that is what I
can see in github and git.apache.org) I'll only be able to PR for the *latest
*tag. It is not ideal but at least it is a start.

I'll have the PR ready soon.